So, the 2019 Chiefs...

Hunter2_1

How will they do this season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. The 2019 Chiefs...

• They consolidate - either the first or second seed in the AFC, not dropping off
    • They drop off slightly - win at least 2 fewer games than last season
    • They drop off markedly - miss playoffs, and end up with a record around .500 or below

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

Hill or no Hill, they added some nice pieces on defense, though.

Yeah, Hill or no Hill, that offense is surefire top 5 and probably the best bet to be best of the league again.

The defense is a lot harder to project because it is all so new and different but  I feel confident saying at worst it will be a top 20 defense and it could also be real close to top 10.

All in all, a powerhouse.

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I don't think the win total would change for NE if you swap Miami with LAC however the Patriots could end up a wild card team one of those years where LAC wins 11-12 games and the tie breaker.

The Patriots win total wouldn’t change. They could still split with the Chargers (like they did with Miami), but the Chargers would pick up more wins than Miami, making the competition for the division title tougher

7 hours ago, Nightime said:

The Patriots win total wouldn’t change. They could still split with the Chargers (like they did with Miami), but the Chargers would pick up more wins than Miami, making the competition for the division title tougher

If replacing Dolphins with Chargers, there would not be much difference, as Dolphins record against Pats is not that bad.

Edited by William Lee

20 hours ago, Buckweath said:

That's a good question. I hate how the Pats have such an easy division and schedule and the obvious huge home field advantage when playing at Gillette Stadium. Otherwise, I would feel better about the Chiefs going all the way than any team in the league.

The Patriots did win at Arrowhead Stadium...

by the way, did you know that the Patriots have only swept the AFC East once ever?

They went 11-5 last season, and ALL of their losses were to teams that MISSED the playoffs. They lost to Miami; Jacksonville; Pittsburgh; Tennessee; and Detroit. 

Conversely, the Patriots scored regular season wins against playoff participants Chicago; Kansas City; Indianapolis; and Houston. In fairness, three of these four games were at home, but these were still playoff teams nonetheless. 

Also, maybe someone else can get the numbers for me, but I do believe that since 2002, the Patriots’ winning percentage against the AFC East is only slightly higher than than their winning percentage vs. the rest of the NFL. 

Don’t also forget that the Patriots have played a first place schedule 16 of the last 18 years. The other three AFC division winners plus an NFC first place finisher. 4 playoff teams every season. 

When they get home field advantage, they earn it. Just like the Chefs did last year. 

Edited by rfournier103

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

The Patriots did win at Arrowhead Stadium...

by the way, did you know that the Patriots have only swept the AFC East once ever?

They went 11-5 last season, and ALL of their losses were to teams that MISSED the playoffs. They lost to Miami; Jacksonville; Pittsburgh; Tennessee; and Detroit. 

Conversely, the Patriots scored regular season wins against playoff participants Chicago; Kansas City; Indianapolis; and Houston. In fairness, these were all at home, but these were still playoff teams nonetheless. 

Also, maybe someone else can get the numbers for me, but I do believe that since 2002, the Patriots’ winning percentage against the AFC East is only slightly higher than than their winning percentage vs. the rest of the NFL. 

Don’t also forget that the Patriots have played a first place schedule 16 of the last 18 years. The other three AFC division winners plus an NFC first place finisher. 5 playoff teams every season. 

When they get home field advantage, they earn it. Just like the Chefs did last year. 

This. The narrative that the Pats success is because of their division is so beat to death. (And wrong)

Like almost no team in the NFL has a decent record against the Pats. Even the other good AFC teams like the Steelers, Ravens and Colts have really terrible records against Brady/Belichick.

I think the 2/5 Pats losses had a lot to do with the head coaches of the Lions and Titans being Belichick disciples. Not saying I think either is going to be a good NFL head coach, but they certainly are familiar with Belichick and that's a big advantage.

Chicago game was also on the road btw.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

This. The narrative that the Pats success is because of their division is so beat to death. (And wrong)

Like almost no team in the NFL has a decent record against the Pats. Even the other good AFC teams like the Steelers, Ravens and Colts have really terrible records against Brady/Belichick.

I think the 2/5 Pats losses had a lot to do with the head coaches of the Lions and Titans being Belichick disciples. Not saying I think either is going to be a good NFL head coach, but they certainly are familiar with Belichick and that's a big advantage.

Chicago game was also on the road btw.

Good post. 

Fixed the Chicago thing. Thank you for calling my attention to that. Also, three AFC Division winners plus one NFC Division winner equals four, not five. I posted sleepy.

Even so, for 16 of the past 20 years, the Patriots will play ONE QUARTER of their games against division winners from the previous season. The Patriots only play six games vs. the AFC East. 

Edited by rfournier103

You guys are looking at history and all that stuff, I'm just looking at their schedule next year and comparing it to let's say the Chargers' and Chiefs' and it just seems an easier path to the AFC title. I don't really care that the Pats have had trouble with the Dolphins or another team in their division in the past, at the end of the day these are teams who are inferior to the Chargers as an opponent for the Chiefs for example.

I have read that based on opponents win percentage last year, the Patriots have the 2nd easiest schedule next year.

1 hour ago, Buckweath said:

I have read that based on opponents win percentage last year, the Patriots have the 2nd easiest schedule next year.

Easy or not, when you have an time-control offense that can score 440 points in 16 games, your team will very likely get first round bye.

• 3 weeks later...

Chiefs will ride or die with Mahomes. 

Guy is just great at football. You throw different looks at him but he still comes right back at you with amazing throws again and again.

That 2nd half against New England in the AFCC game he put on a show. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, Nightime said:

KC lost one player (Hunt). And we still beat a supposedly stacked Colts team in the playoffs without him 

Hill has no criminal case against him, and while suspension is a possibility, there’s little reason to believe he won’t play for KC this year

Lol, let's set the record straight REAL quick.

The Colts when you faced them were not stacked. At all. We were missing our starting safety in Malik Hooker, Doyle was out, and our center was injured. Hardly any pass rush. You beat a team that had the luxury of a weak regular season schedule and facing mediocre QBs. Don't act like you took out a full throttle Colts team because you didn't, and our game in Week 5 will be different. 

People, mainly the national media, is overlooking the defensive overhaul. They brought in a very good defensive coaching staff. Turned over half their roster. Upgraded their weakest position (safety) and turned it into a strength. Defensive line is stacked. CB's are improved but lack depth. I like the LB's now that Hitchens is back home in a 4-3. Dorian O'Daniel is made for a 4-3 WSLB. Ragland is the only question mark. The defense will be top 20 and if they gel they could finish in the top 10. They just can't afford a CB injury. 

It's looking more and more that Tyreek Hill gets no games or a couple games suspension. The offense got better. They have no depth at TE so Kelce must stay healthy. 

This Chiefs team will be better than last years team baring key injuries. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, emaw1979 said:

People, mainly the national media, is overlooking the defensive overhaul. They brought in a very good defensive coaching staff. Turned over half their roster. Upgraded their weakest position (safety) and turned it into a strength. Defensive line is stacked. CB's are improved but lack depth. I like the LB's now that Hitchens is back home in a 4-3. Dorian O'Daniel is made for a 4-3 WSLB. Ragland is the only question mark. The defense will be top 20 and if they gel they could finish in the top 10. They just can't afford a CB injury. 

It's looking more and more that Tyreek Hill gets no games or a couple games suspension. The offense got better. They have no depth at TE so Kelce must stay healthy. 

This Chiefs team will be better than last years team baring key injuries. 

For the most part you are correct, IMO.

Not sure the CBs are improved but they certainly could be. I'm fully expecting a trade to add another CB.

The LBs could be below-average but I don't see how they are not at least a bit better and maybe a lot better than last year. I'm expecting Hitchens' and Ragland's level of play to be somewhere in the middle between their dreadful play last year and their good level the year before. O'daniel should be  improved some and Lee should help some. 

On paper, this is the same pretty much the same offense to me but in all likelyness, I'm not expecting again a top 5 in the history of the game offense but rather your usual top offense in the league.

And I've said many times on these boards that this Chiefs team will be a powerhouse this year.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:10 AM, Buckweath said:

You guys are looking at history and all that stuff, I'm just looking at their schedule next year and comparing it to let's say the Chargers' and Chiefs' and it just seems an easier path to the AFC title. I don't really care that the Pats have had trouble with the Dolphins or another team in their division in the past, at the end of the day these are teams who are inferior to the Chargers as an opponent for the Chiefs for example.

When you average 12.5 wins over an 18 year span you are going to get a first round bye more often than not, regardless of division. The Patriots also have a secondary impact on the other 3 AFC East teams: they keep them from winning the division. After such a long span of dominance it causes impatience in front offices that eventually leads to constant turmoil and shuffling through coaches/GM’s. You can notice a similar trend with the SEC West and Alabama in college football. 

Edited by Bolts223

On 7/3/2019 at 8:19 AM, ManningGM said:

Lol, let's set the record straight REAL quick.

The Colts when you faced them were not stacked. At all. We were missing our starting safety in Malik Hooker, Doyle was out, and our center was injured. Hardly any pass rush. You beat a team that had the luxury of a weak regular season schedule and facing mediocre QBs. Don't act like you took out a full throttle Colts team because you didn't, and our game in Week 5 will be different. 

I mean that’s all fine and this is not directed at you,  but literally no one was picking the Chiefs to win, in the Indy game, up until the game started.  

It was only after that people started talking about how the Chiefs should have won like that and the Colts were beat up.