So, the 2019 Chiefs...

Hunter2_1

How will they do this season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. The 2019 Chiefs...

• They consolidate - either the first or second seed in the AFC, not dropping off
    • They drop off slightly - win at least 2 fewer games than last season
    • They drop off markedly - miss playoffs, and end up with a record around .500 or below

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

NEXT GEN STATS had Mahomes as the 3rd lowest percentage of tight window throws. With only Brock Osweiler and Mullins with lower percentages. If you think this wide open passing windows will be available in 2019, then that is as bold of a prediction as there is. 

Predicting Andy Reid is going to get his WR’s open is not bold...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

NEXT GEN STATS had Mahomes as the 3rd lowest percentage of tight window throws. With only Brock Osweiler and Mullins with lower percentages. If you think this wide open passing windows will be available in 2019, then that is as bold of a prediction as there is. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buckweath said:

If you include my man Travis Kelce the Chiefs are clearly no. 1.

When I think of it, I think the Chiefs are the only team in the NFL with two elite receiving weapons in Hill and Kelce.

I’d throw Minnesota in with two Elite.  They’d be right there with anyone if they could get anything out of their 3-5 WR’s.

• Like 1

Who cares who has the best group of receivers?

The “receiving corp” is far more relevant because that’s who is actually going to be taking the field. 

Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Hardman/Robinson. Quarterbacked by the MVP. Other teams may even have better whole “receiving corps” on paper, but they don’t have the QB to elevate them like Mahomes can. 

That’s alot of speed and skill.

Good luck 

Edited by Nightime
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Quality =/= quantity. It is perfectly possible to attempt a lower rate but be more effective at those attempted.

Even if you think it's a big deal or will cause a dip for him, league average is like 14 - 15%. If he goes from 12.2% to like 14.5% in AGG%, we're talking less than 1 pass attempt per game going from not tight window to tight window. That's not going to make a substantial impact on his performance, even if you, for some reason, think he's bad at tight window throws.

3 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

If talking pure WR corps, KC isnt even top 10 let alone top 3. In fact they are one of the weakest pure WR corps. If you include TEs, because they have the best TE and the most dangerous WR. They are top 5.

Watkins hasnt had over 600 yds in like what 4 years. Please, he is a avg #2 at this point. Hardman hasnt taken a snap in the NFL and wasnt even a top 150 prospect rookie. Was he even considered a top 8 rookie prospect. Robinson is bleh.

That WR corp is barely cute at best.

Given that there are a number of teams that don't even have a good #1, let alone an elite one, this take is laughable. Hill alone basically elevates the receiving corp over like 1/3 of the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Means that system, which looked diff than any Reid ever ran, did alot of shift presnap and used gimmick formations and routes, early route concepts to get guys wide open.  That will be gone in 2019, you can sleep tonight knowing that is a given.

36 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Quality =/= quantity. It is perfectly possible to attempt a lower rate but be more effective at those attempted.

Even if you think it's a big deal or will cause a dip for him, league average is like 14 - 15%. If he goes from 12.2% to like 14.5% in AGG%, we're talking less than 1 pass attempt per game going from not tight window to tight window. That's not going to make a substantial impact on his performance, even if you, for some reason, think he's bad at tight window throws.

Didn't say he is bad at them, he has to do them less, because of the system he is in. So when he has alot less open throws and defenses are adjusting for that system, he is gonna find yds and tds are alot harder to come by. Rodgers is a prime example of holding the ball for ever to gloss over tight throws for more wide open throws. Defense started adjusting to that and ala Rodgers broke the NFL record for throw aways. I think Rodgers is more elusive than Mahomes so, for that reason Mahomes might struggle more. I think Mahomes unlike Rodgers wont shy away from tight throws if they are the only ones there. So unlike Rodgers, Mahomes will have more ints. To me Rodgers int statline is the most overrated statline in sports history possibly. So i wont really knock Mahomes for more ints.  Scared qbs arent spared qbs. Mahomes will never play scared like Rodgers.

2 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Didn't say he is bad at them, he has to do them less, because of the system he is in. So when he has alot less open throws and defenses are adjusting for that system, he is gonna find yds and tds are alot harder to come by. Rodgers is a prime example of holding the ball for ever to gloss over tight throws for more wide open throws. Defense started adjusting to that and ala Rodgers broke the NFL record for throw aways. I think Rodgers is more elusive than Mahomes so, for that reason Mahomes might struggle more. I think Mahomes unlike Rodgers wont shy away from tight throws if they are the only ones there. So unlike Rodgers, Mahomes will have more ints. To me Rodgers int statline is the most overrated statline in sports history possibly. So i wont really knock Mahomes for more ints.  Scared qbs arent spared qbs. Mahomes will never play scared like Rodgers.

Again, it won't be a lot. The difference between Mahomes Agg% and an average Agg% is going to be like 14 throws. Over the course of an entire season.

46 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

The data says otherwise.. but be emotional.

Again, that data speaks to frequency, not success.

Mahomes was actually the most accurate passer on tight window throws in the NFL last season. He just went for fewer of them. He was actually the most accurate QB on tight window throws PFF has ever tracked.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-most-accurate-nfl-qbs-by-separation-in-2018

You're trying to make AGG% mean like a dozen things that it doesn't mean.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

The data says otherwise.. but be emotional.

Just to reiterate what @Jakuvious posted and since I know some probably won't click the link...

Mahomes, the league’s MVP, only attempted 95 passes into tight coverage last year (19th-most among quarterbacks), but he was lights out when he decided to air it out and let his guy make a play. Mahomes led the league with a 56.7% accuracy rate and a 41.8% “accuracy plus” rate on throws into tight coverage — both of these marks are now the best ever recorded by a quarterback over a single season.

Patrick-Mahomes-KC_Accurate-Ball-Placeme