So, the 2019 Chiefs...

Hunter2_1

How will they do this season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. The 2019 Chiefs...

• They consolidate - either the first or second seed in the AFC, not dropping off
    • They drop off slightly - win at least 2 fewer games than last season
    • They drop off markedly - miss playoffs, and end up with a record around .500 or below

Besides the Pats, the Chiefs are probably the most consistent team in the AFC under Andy Reid. Anyone who thinks they are going to be under .500 needs to get a reality check. 

Having that been said, I do think they will regress this year for a number of reasons:

1) Having a QB throw for 5000+ yards and 50+ TD's is unsustainable.

2) They are probably going to be without Hill for a significant portion of the season.

3) As bad as people like to say that defense was in 2018, they were great at forcing turnovers. That tends to regress from one year to the next. Also it's not like Spagnuolo hasn't coordinated some incredibly terrible defenses before.

4) They have a really brutal schedule that includes the Pats, Chargers x2, Colts, Packers, Bears, Vikings, Ravens and Texans.

I think that this team wins 9-10 games. I see 11 as the ceiling and 8 as the floor.

Edited by Bolts223

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

You gonna be ok? 

Dude relax, nobody knows what's gonna happen for sure. There a few over the top homers in every base but when people think Mahomes is gonna forget how to throw a ball cuz we don't have Mitch "Morris" (who wasn't Hudson by any stretch and is probably 1 concussion away from retirement) or our 4-5 option in Conley it pulls those guys out of the woodwork.

We still don't know what's gonna happen with Hill (no, we don't, yes it will hurt if we lose him), we lost Hunt before the season was over and we've been able to keep the run game rolling, the defense has been literally remade so we're not sure what that's gonna look like completely. Yes we lost Berry (though did we really have him the last couple years?), Houston who hasn't been the same since injury and Ford who finally put it all together for 1 year but we did get some talent back from defenses that we're not bottom of the barrel like ours were last year. The defense should be better than whatever the hell that was last year and the offense (though it'll drop off a peg or 2) should still be a solid unit. 

We're not going 16-0 Mr Hyperbole but stating that this team is going to just completely suck is more wishful thinking than anything else.

I havent seen anybody say that the Chiefs are going to suck, I have seen several posters to post legitimate concerns and criticisms about things that matter in football, only to have a chiefs fan respond by brushing it aside and saying it doesnt matter bc Mahomes.  Mahomes was great last year, no question, but 2019 is a new year, and the chiefs are going to be missing their best weapon, are going to be without their best RB since Priest Holmes.  Are missing their best OL, 2 best pass rushers, best overall defender, and all of that is going to matter.  

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

Besides the Pats, the Chiefs are probably the most consistent team in the AFC under Andy Reid. Anyone who thinks they are going to be under .500 needs to get a reality check. 

Having that been said, I do think they will regress this year for a number of reasons:

1) Having a QB throw for 5000+ yards and 50+ TD's is unsustainable.

2) They are probably going to be without Hill for a significant portion of the season.

3) As bad as people like to say that defense was in 2018, they were great at forcing turnovers. That tends to regress from one year to the next. Also it's not like Spagnuolo hasn't coordinated some incredibly terrible defenses before.

4) They have a really brutal schedule that includes the Pats, Chargers x2, Colts, Packers, Bears, Vikings, Ravens and Texans.

I think that this team wins 9-10 games. I see 11 as the ceiling and 8 as the floor.

The Chiefs have a hard schedule, but KC has also proven to be the second toughest regular season team since 2015. Different QBs, different rosters, but consistent winning

And now Mahomes has provided some extra winning in January. Amazing franchise turnaround

KC is the “other” team nobody wants on their schedule. They’re just good at winning games no matter the lineup, similar (albeit on a smaller scale) to NE

Edited by Nightime

22 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I havent seen anybody say that the Chiefs are going to suck, I have seen several posters to post legitimate concerns and criticisms about things that matter in football, only to have a chiefs fan respond by brushing it aside and saying it doesnt matter bc Mahomes.  Mahomes was great last year, no question, but 2019 is a new year, and the chiefs are going to be missing their best weapon, are going to be without their best RB since Priest Holmes.  Are missing their best OL, 2 best pass rushers, best overall defender, and all of that is going to matter.  

That’s the thing: Mahomes is our best weapon

We’ve seen Tyreek Hill get shutdown: 9, 13, 16 points

But we’ve never seen Mahomes get shutdown. The fewest we ever scored with him was 26 points. It’s an NFL team record.

Tyreek Hill is a great player but he never won a playoff game until...Mahomes

Edited by Nightime

On 5/20/2019 at 2:53 PM, FrantikRam said:

All about Hill. I picked the middle option but in reality, if Hill is gone, that offense goes from elite to average IMO. He was the best offensive weapon in the NFL last year, easily. Without Hill, Kelce is game planned against and you're relying on average WRs - Mahomes will look like a completely different QB without Hill.

Our offense was average back when Alex Smith was throwing to Dwayne Bowe as his top weapon. An Andy Reid coached offense led by Patrick Mahomes isn't going to come out average. I feel like Andy Reid gets forgotten half the time in the evaluation of our offense. We had a top 10 scoring offense when our skill position lineup was Alex Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Travis Kelce, and Charcandrick West. You can't tell me it will just be average with Mahomes, Watkins, Kelce, and Williams.

42 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

There's always unknowns in the NFL, until the "bullets fly" we're all whizzing in the wind. Don't take it so personal.

This is the problem with telling another fan about their team: Morse was NOT our best OL (Reiter, his replacement, was actually ranked higher at C according to PFF), we did NOT lose our best pass rusher, we did NOT lose our best overall defender. As far as Hunt being gone we already saw what life without him is like, DW did, not just an respectable job, but a superb job of filling in. The fact that you don't know this leads me not want to bother discussing MY team with you.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Your credibility on this subject just went out the window if you're arguing that Kareem Hunt was a better RB than Jamaal Charles. Hunt wasn't even as good as prime Larry Johnson.

You're wrong on a lot of points here and in other threads (Morse was not close to our best OL and you didn't even know his name in another thread, Houston was a lesser pass rusher than Chris Jones, at minimum, and arguably Jones was the best player on our defense and the most productive pass rusher) but the bold is by far your worst take in a list of bad ones.

Get out of here with that garbage.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Your credibility on this subject just went out the window if you're arguing that Kareem Hunt was a better RB than Jamaal Charles. Hunt wasn't even as good as prime Larry Johnson.

You're wrong on a lot of points here and in other threads (Morse was not close to our best OL and you didn't even know his name in another thread, Houston was a lesser pass rusher than Chris Jones, at minimum, and arguably Jones was the best player on our defense and the most productive pass rusher) but the bold is by far your worst take in a list of bad ones.

Get out of here with that garbage.

Lol. He is clearly a hater, unless he just clearly doesn't know this Chiefs team.

1 minute ago, Buckweath said:

Lol. He is clearly a hater, unless he just clearly doesn't know this Chiefs team.

Tbf you could ease back on the Kool aid some.

We're all excited about Mahomes and the team but let the Chiefs do the talking on gameday. 

• Like 2

I'll say it again. Anything can happen in this league, but right now, the Chiefs project to be every bit as good as those top 2 odds to win the SB, second best odds in the league to make the playoffs and heavy favorites to win the AFC West.

The Chiefs offense, without Hill all season, will very likely still be elite and potentially top 3. 

The Chiefs defense should be around league average or better. I dont think top 10 or borderline top 10 is out of question at all for that defense.

I'll say it again. Expect a powerhouse this year. I expect it to be their best team in the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Tbf you could ease back on the Kool aid some.

We're all excited about Mahomes and the team but let the Chiefs do the talking on gameday. 

I just feel confident on this team and I see a ton of people being off on this thread just like they were off on that Colts vs Chiefs game, on the fact that Mahomes would be great early, on the fact every year that the Chargers will win the West, on the fact that the Rams would have a better offense than the Chiefs last year, on the fact that Goff was equal to Mahomes, etc.

26 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

I just feel confident on this team and I see a ton of people being off on this thread just like they were off on that Colts vs Chiefs game, on the fact that Mahomes would be great early, on the fact every year that the Chargers will win the West, on the fact that the Rams would have a better offense than the Chiefs last year, on the fact that Goff was equal to Mahomes, etc.

I know this is unrelated but I'm tired of people saying that we are predicted to win the AFC West every year when it is flat out not true. 2018 is the first season in quite awhile that we were "favored" to win the west going into the season. Going into 2017 everyone was picking either the Chiefs or Raiders. Going into 2016 people were picking either the Broncos or Chiefs. From 2012-2015 almost everyone was picking the Broncos. 2011 is probably the last time before 2018 that we were actually favored to win the division going into the season.

If you want to hold a 12-4 season against us because we couldn't win a division where a 2nd year QB broke out to throw for 50 TD's and over 5000 yards, then hold it against us. 

Edited by Bolts223

2 hours ago, Buckweath said:

I'll say it again. Anything can happen in this league, but right now, the Chiefs project to be every bit as good as those top 2 odds to win the SB, second best odds in the league to make the playoffs and heavy favorites to win the AFC West.

The Chiefs offense, without Hill all season, will very likely still be elite and potentially top 3. 

The Chiefs defense should be around league average or better. I dont think top 10 or borderline top 10 is out of question at all for that defense.

I'll say it again. Expect a powerhouse this year. I expect it to be their best team in the foreseeable future.

I just hope you are man enough to come to this board Jan 2020 and eat crow when you are wrong and dont make excuses either. That's all i ask. 

3 hours ago, Buckweath said:

When you say project... projected by who exactly? By you?

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028927/article/nfl-power-rankings-new-orleans-saints-on-top-after-2019-draft?networkId=4595&site=.news&zone=story&zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&env&pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dpower-rankings&p.ct=Power+Rankings&p.adsm=false&p.tcm=%23666666&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

That's one where KC is 8th. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2833327-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-after-the-2019-nfl-draft.amp.html

Another where KC is 11th

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/05/01/nfl-power-rankings-draft-chiefs-giants-colts/3621982002/

Another one with KC 8th. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/4/30/18520524/post-draft-nfl-power-rankings

This one has them 8th.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-power-rankings-2019-post-draft-standings-all-32-teams#slide-32

This one is an annoying slideshow, but KC 7th.

https://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

This one is 8th.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/tabeek-s-nfl-power-rankings-falcons-crack-top-10-after-draft

This one is 6th.  In all of these, Chiefs are PROJECTED as lessor than a team in their own division, in every list Chargers ranked higher.  So outside of Vegas and KC fans, who is projecting KC to be a powerhouse, im really curious.

Edited by Bearerofnews

3 hours ago, Buckweath said:

They aren't even the most complete roster in the AFC West. The chargers take that and it isn't particularly close.

With these expectations, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

• Like 1