So, the 2019 Chiefs...

Hunter2_1

How will they do this season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. The 2019 Chiefs...

• They consolidate - either the first or second seed in the AFC, not dropping off
    • They drop off slightly - win at least 2 fewer games than last season
    • They drop off markedly - miss playoffs, and end up with a record around .500 or below

18 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

No teams didnt.  They had to throw basic coverages at him bc of Tyreek Hill.  Unless you want Hill streaking to the endzone, you have to play specific coverages bc of him.  Teams didnt even come close to throwing the kitchen sink at Mahommes.  This year, with no Hill, they absolutely will.

There were plenty of disguises. Just watch the Chiefs-Steelers game, or the Chiefs-Ravens game

Did you actually watch any KC games? Alex Smith had Hill in 2016 and 2017 and he still got confused as always against teams like Pittsburgh, NYG, and Tennessee. Hill didn’t make KC elite, Mahomes did.

And all that’s assuming Hill is gone, which is a huge assumption. 

Edited by Nightime

15 minutes ago, Nightime said:

There were plenty of disguises. Just watch the Chiefs-Steelers game, or the Chiefs-Ravens game

Did you actually watch any KC games? Alex Smith had Hill in 2016 and 2017 and he still got confused as always against teams like Pittsburgh, NYG, and Tennessee. Hill didn’t make KC elite, Mahomes did.

First of all, IK you want to believe Hill being gone is a huge assumption, and I dont blame you, bc he is that talented, but it's not.  Hes been told to stay away from the team, there have already been several insiders that have said that he will go on the commish exempt list in August.  The NFL says they will not begin their investigation until the CFS investigation has concluded.  Hill isnt playing in 2019, and that's under the best possible circumstances for him.  

Secondly, I think you need to watch more games.  #1, you would be hard pressed to find many examples of Alex Smith being confused by coverage schemes.  He has been one of the smartest QBs in the NFL for quite some time.  Being able to read coverage does not equate to being able to execute against it.  Smith had limitations, limitations that Mahommes clearly does not.  And I'm not saying this to knock Mahommes, I'm saying he has had a built in advantage bc of Tyreek Hill that he is not going to have in 2019.  We are going to see him for the first time play w/o that advantage.  We have to let it play out, but I expect there will be some growing pains bc it's going to be an adjustment.  

34 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

First of all, IK you want to believe Hill being gone is a huge assumption, and I dont blame you, bc he is that talented, but it's not.  Hes been told to stay away from the team, there have already been several insiders that have said that he will go on the commish exempt list in August.  The NFL says they will not begin their investigation until the CFS investigation has concluded.  Hill isnt playing in 2019, and that's under the best possible circumstances for him.  

Secondly, I think you need to watch more games.  #1, you would be hard pressed to find many examples of Alex Smith being confused by coverage schemes.  He has been one of the smartest QBs in the NFL for quite some time.  Being able to read coverage does not equate to being able to execute against it.  Smith had limitations, limitations that Mahommes clearly does not.  And I'm not saying this to knock Mahommes, I'm saying he has had a built in advantage bc of Tyreek Hill that he is not going to have in 2019.  We are going to see him for the first time play w/o that advantage.  We have to let it play out, but I expect there will be some growing pains bc it's going to be an adjustment.  

Mahomes already beat the #1 defense without Hunt, Watkins, Ware hurt, missing 2 OL, and Hill could hardly run with a bad leg

I’m not concerned. Mahomes is the guy I worry about the least. He’s the alpha dog for the Chiefs, as long as he brings his A+ talent and attitude we’ll be fine. 

Edited by Nightime
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Mahomes already beat the #1 defense without Hunt, Watkins, Ware hurt, missing 2 OL, and Hill could hardly run with a bad leg

I’m not concerned. Mahomes is the guy I worry about the least. He’s the alpha dog for the Chiefs, as long as he brings his A+ talent and attitude we’ll be fine. 

He didnt beat the #1 defense, and him beating the ravens isnt nearly impressive when you look at what actually happened in that game.  And despite Hill being on 1 leg he still managed to put up 139 yards.  The Ravens offense was abysmal and still managed 24 points. 

45 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He didnt beat the #1 defense, and him beating the ravens isnt nearly impressive when you look at what actually happened in that game.  And despite Hill being on 1 leg he still managed to put up 139 yards.  The Ravens offense was abysmal and still managed 24 points. 

24 points against our terrible 2018 rush defense. Just shows how amazing Mahomes was to overcome a defense that allowed 26ppg. Heroic

Patrick Mahomes threw for 377 yards in that game, in addition to a no-look pass, crazy sidearm, and 4th and 9 dart. Only Mahomes and Mayfield put up 300 yards against that Baltimore defense.

2 young studs

Edited by Nightime

4 minutes ago, Nightime said:

24 points against our terrible 2018 rush defense. Just shows how amazing Mahomes was to overcome a defense that allowed 26ppg. Hero.

Patrick Mahomes threw for 377 yards in that game, in addition to a no-look pass, crazy sidearm, and 4th and 9 dart. Only Mahomes and Mayfield put up 300 yards against that Baltimore defense.

2 young studs

Never said the offense wasnt incredible, it absolutely was, but cmon man, you're bragging about 377 yards in 53 attempts, nearly 2 full ypa less than his season avg.  The Baltimore offense was horribad.  321 total yards of offense, and still damn near won the game.  And again, all that happened with Hill still out there.  

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Never said the offense wasnt incredible, it absolutely was, but cmon man, you're bragging about 377 yards in 53 attempts, nearly 2 full ypa less than his season avg.  The Baltimore offense was horribad.  321 total yards of offense, and still damn near won the game.  And again, all that happened with Hill still out there.  

Yeah but they lost, andgot outplayed doing it. Mahones put on a clinic, that game won him mvp

2 hours ago, Nightime said:

So because someone disagrees with your opinion and provided evidence to back up their claim, they don’t watch football games?

And anyone with half a brain can tell you that Alex Smith’s noodle arm was the biggest factor in opposing defenses being able to run the defenses they wanted to, because they knew he couldn’t make them pay for leaving Hill open deep

Yes, obviously Mahomes is a significantly better quarterback than Alex Smith.  He’s also only started 19 games in his career.  It’s not unforeseen by any stretch that he could regress like Marino did after his 1984 season

20 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Yeah but they lost, andgot outplayed doing it. Mahones put on a clinic, that game won him mvp

Again not disputing any of that (other than Mahommes putting on a clinic, bc 377 yards on 53 attempts is not that)  He's trying to point to that game as evidence that Hill doesnt affect the coverage of the defense.  

12 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

So because someone disagrees with your opinion and provided evidence to back up their claim, they don’t watch football games?

And anyone with half a brain can tell you that Alex Smith’s noodle arm was the biggest factor in opposing defenses being able to run the defenses they wanted to, because they knew he couldn’t make them pay for leaving Hill open deep

Yes, obviously Mahomes is a significantly better quarterback than Alex Smith.  He’s also only started 19 games in his career.  It’s not unforeseen by any stretch that he could regress like Marino did after his 1984 season

Smith was actually one of the very best deep ball passers in 2017. He was attacking the whole field, got into early MVP talks. That wasn’t a pop-gun offense

But he didn’t have the consistency of Mahomes because he lacks Mahomes vision, IQ, mindset, and arm strength. 

Smith got figured out. Couldn’t handle disguised Cover 2. Meanwhile Mahomes laughed at that scheme whenever he saw it.

Edited by Nightime

7 minutes ago, Nightime said:

Smith was actually one of the very best deep ball passers in 2017. He was attacking the whole field, got into early MVP talks. That wasn’t a pop-gun offense

But he didn’t have the consistency of Mahomes because he lacks Mahomes vision, IQ, mindset, and arm strength. 

Smith got figured out. Couldn’t handle disguised Cover 2. Meanwhile Mahomes laughed at that scheme whenever he saw it.

Lol, Smith had a few passes that either had receivers running wide open downfield or his guys made great plays after the catch and it completely skewed his numbers.  Mahomes regularly made throws into coverage

Youre obviously biased though and it’s clouding your judgement in this case, so I’ll just let this one be

Mahomes is good enough to keep them afloat in the playoff race. If Watkins can stay healthy (big if), their passing attack will still be dangerous. You can do a lot worse than Kelce & Sammy Watkins as your primary receiving threats.

Defense will be improved, on paper at least. I think they'll still be in the 9-7 to 11-5 range.

3 hours ago, Nightime said:

Honestly, I think that had a lot more to do with Tyreek Hill than Alex Smith. He was good his rookie year, but his sophomore season he was burning guys left and right. Go back and watch some of those games, if you have gamepass even better.

There were also games that year where Smith looked completely lost, like the Giants game.