So, the 2019 Chiefs...

Hunter2_1

How will they do this season?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. The 2019 Chiefs...

• They consolidate - either the first or second seed in the AFC, not dropping off
    • They drop off slightly - win at least 2 fewer games than last season
    • They drop off markedly - miss playoffs, and end up with a record around .500 or below

Using preseason odds is the dumbest argument. Steelers and Vikings tied with other teams as 2nd best odds in August 2018, Neither made the playoffs. Packers were 3rd, Jacksonville and Atlanta tied for 5th. None made the playoffs.

Most experts dont like Chiefs to even win their division. Vegas odds in May are meaingless.

Yes NE was odds on favorites going into 2018, but they always are.  Yes Rams were tied for 2nd with multiple other teams. When your argument is preseason SB odds, you have no real argument. KC is going 9-7 best case scenario. Everyone in their division got better and they got worse at their biggest strenght. KC needed every bit of Mahomes huge season to even win a tie breaker for the division. Take away that production even slightly, take away 2 to 3 wins easily.  KC wont be a factor in 2019.

Edited by Bearerofnews

1 hour ago, matt27j said:

Can't say it would just be average without Hill, but maybe a lot like the Eagles when it was Ago and Mathews as the top guys outside of Ertz

I hope not for their sake.  DHB got significant snaps that year. 

Edit: I meant DGB, he’s much worse!

Edited by KellChippy

2 hours ago, Buckweath said:

Hill, a WR who is not even the top WR in the game is the difference between the #3 best offense in the history of the game and an average offense. How is it supposed to even make sense?

Losing Hill hurts the offense some but this offense runs through Mahomes and Reid. 

Reid has been a very good offensive coach, but he's generally had good offensive players - the Chiefs have one elite weapon in Kelce, and then some that are pretty much league average.

Let's just take the Chiefs/Patriots AFCCG - the Pats took Hill away. When they play again and they take Kelce away, how are the Chiefs going to move the ball? The downside of Mahomes season last year is that he really can't play better.

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Reid has been a very good offensive coach, but he's generally had good offensive players - the Chiefs have one elite weapon in Kelce, and then some that are pretty much league average.

Let's just take the Chiefs/Patriots AFCCG - the Pats took Hill away. When they play again and they take Kelce away, how are the Chiefs going to move the ball? The downside of Mahomes season last year is that he really can't play better.

He was an MVP but easily could’ve played better. Overthrows, underthrows, missed reads, dumb INTs, etc. 

Edited by Nightime

7 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

We did take Hill away. 1 catch.

They still scored nearly 40 and we had to have 3rd down magic 3 times.

With Mahomes, you're in the hunt (no pun). But the bolded bit I certainly agree with. Don't think they can get stronger, but they certainly can get weaker

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nightime said:

He was an MVP but easily could’ve played better. Overthrows, underthrows, missed reads, dumb INTs, etc. 

Of course you can pick a play here and there but in general it's very tough to do.

Honestly with how much talent they've infused into that defense during the offseason, even without Hunt and Hill, they still probably win 11/12 games. It's a QB league and even if he only goes for 35+ TDs with ~12 INTs, they're going to be just as good, if not better.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Using preseason odds is the dumbest argument. Steelers and Vikings tied with other teams as 2nd best odds in August 2018, Neither made the playoffs. Packers were 3rd, Jacksonville and Atlanta tied for 5th. None made the playoffs.

Most experts dont like Chiefs to even win their division. Vegas odds in May are meaingless.

Yes NE was odds on favorites going into 2018, but they always are.  Yes Rams were tied for 2nd with multiple other teams. When your argument is preseason SB odds, you have no real argument. KC is going 9-7 best case scenario. Everyone in their division got better and they got worse at their biggest strenght. KC needed every bit of Mahomes huge season to even win a tie breaker for the division. Take away that production even slightly, take away 2 to 3 wins easily.  KC wont be a factor in 2019.

Lol, you are one of a kind.

And I'm not sure you know exactly what are odds.

But let me tell you one thing, those guys deciding the odds are much better than you and I as for forecasting future games and seasons.

Edited by Buckweath

Losing Hill hurts some, there's no way around it, but the Chiefs offense go as Mahomes goes, not Hill.

Mahomes is that special. Give him a decent Oline and half-decent weapons and he will make your offense great.

He might be the next big thing and Hill or no Hill won't change that.

6 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Losing Hill hurts some, there's no way around it, but the Chiefs offense go as Mahomes goes, not Hill.

Mahomes is that special. Give him a decent Oline and half-decent weapons and he will make your offense great.

He might be the next big thing and Hill or no Hill won't change that.

I expect 25-28 TDs and 12-15 INTs from Mahomes. 

No Hill.

No Hunt (and Damien Williams caught lightning in a bottle at the end of the season. He might be decent, but he's not as good as Kareem Hunt).

No Mitch Morse.

Not even Chris Conley.

And, most importantly: Patrick Mahomes II is on the cover of Madden 20.

He'll have a nice 4th season, though!

Edited by HoboRocket

I think Mahomes will be a better QB (maybe not the same statistically) but that alone should keep the team in contention for double digit wins again.

the defense lost big name starters in Berry, Houston and Ford... while adding Matheiu, Ogbah, Clark, Okafor, Breeland, Lee and Wilson. 

They cant possibly be worse on defense than last year. While I think the offense takes a step back; the defense should at least take half a step forward to be more middle of the pack on defense. 

11/12 win team

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I expect 25-28 TDs and 12-15 INTs from Mahomes. 

No Hill.

No Hunt (and Damien Williams caught lightning in a bottle at the end of the season. He might be decent, but he's not as good as Kareem Hunt).

No Mitch Morse.

Not even Chris Conley.

And, most importantly: Patrick Mahomes II is on the cover of Madden 20.

He'll have a nice 4th season, though!

Mahomes has dominated without those players. Injuries and the offense still put up 27 minimum. 

Damien Williams didn’t catch lightning in a bottle. He’s a KC RB. Those guys are always good. His speed is a perfect match for this offense. He racked up 265 yards in 2 playoff games along with 10 TD in 7 games.

He’s gonna have atleast 1000 yards next year. He’s that good

Edited by Nightime

I cant even with these KC fans.  I guess we should all expect KC to go 16-0 have the best d and the best o PMII to go 75-0 and not to miss a beat w/o 1/3 of the starters from last year.  

I guess time will tell whether those of us that see regression as the only real possibility are haters, or if maybe we just might have been paying attention to what happens in football every damn year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I cant even with these KC fans.  I guess we should all expect KC to go 16-0 have the best d and the best o PMII to go 75-0 and not to miss a beat w/o 1/3 of the starters from last year.  

I guess time will tell whether those of us that see regression as the only real possibility are haters, or if maybe we just might have been paying attention to what happens in football every damn year.

You gonna be ok? 

Dude relax, nobody knows what's gonna happen for sure. There a few over the top homers in every base but when people think Mahomes is gonna forget how to throw a ball cuz we don't have Mitch "Morris" (who wasn't Hudson by any stretch and is probably 1 concussion away from retirement) or our 4-5 option in Conley it pulls those guys out of the woodwork.

We still don't know what's gonna happen with Hill (no, we don't, yes it will hurt if we lose him), we lost Hunt before the season was over and we've been able to keep the run game rolling, the defense has been literally remade so we're not sure what that's gonna look like completely. Yes we lost Berry (though did we really have him the last couple years?), Houston who hasn't been the same since injury and Ford who finally put it all together for 1 year but we did get some talent back from defenses that we're not bottom of the barrel like ours were last year. The defense should be better than whatever the hell that was last year and the offense (though it'll drop off a peg or 2) should still be a solid unit. 

We're not going 16-0 Mr Hyperbole but stating that this team is going to just completely suck is more wishful thinking than anything else.

• Like 2