Rank your favorite draft pick ...

dll2000

... or UDFA factoring in where they were selected or what Bears gave up from best to worst or worst to best and give reasoning.  

So not necessarily best player, but your favorite move or value. 

Also say what you expect from each player in 2019 and going forward.  

Only being a five player draft, I love what Pace and his team were able to accomplish.  The UDFA haul looks promising too with Raymond, Bars, Mustipher and Hall.  

If I had to pick one guy it's Montgomery.  His skill set should help unlock the playbook and make the offense less predictable when he's in the game.  I absolutely love his vision, contact balance and his ability to make people miss in a short area.  Being able to run the routes Nagy expects from a running back is a major plus as well.  I think he'll end up with 2/3 of the carries and will rush for close to 1,000 yards and will have at least 7 TDs.   

Edited by playthrough2001
  • Like 1

First and foremost, Montgomery. Next...you gotta look at Montgomery. There's also Montgomery to consider.

:D

But after him, I'm really intrigued by Raymond. From what I've seen and read, this kid honestly has some potential. And the Bears are in need of another tight end, I think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Both Montgomery and Ridley are great values. Since I think we are going to still be a lead back (>60% carries) with supplemental RBC I am going to lean toward Montgomery.

We had 400 non-QB runs last year. I don’t think it’s out of the question that Montgomery gets 75% or more of those rushes honestly assuming a comparable run/pass ratio in 2019. I think they targeted him to be the guy and that he’s capable of that. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Davis cuts into Cohen’s running back snaps more than Montgomery’s. Cohen is best in space and I’d expect that Nagy may look to get him the ball more on extended handoff type plays like bubble screens, drags, slants, etc. where he gets more isolation opportunities. Frankly, the less he is asked to run inside in non-spread formations the better IMO.

We didn’t have anywhere near the ability to move Cohen around in the formation last year without compromising our dual threat remaining in the backfield. I think that’s where Nagy will really get to be creative this year. I don’t think that less RB snaps really impacts Cohen’s overall snap count per se - I think him getting more reps lined up out wide probably leads to a slight reduction in reps for our top WR and maybe Shaheen. Us having other capable dual threat RB just really opens up Nagy to scheme favorable matchups all over the field, with Cohen being our most versatile piece. Cohen excelling in this capacity would only further serve to make Gabriel expendable next offseason too when we could very well be looking to move his cap number to secure other pieces. 

I’m also intrigued to see where (if) Whyte fits into all of this in 2019. The role one would expect he fills if he has one on offense in 2019 is very similar to that of Cohen too. 

I can’t believe camp is still more than 2 months away. 😒🤦‍♂️

Being as I've been talking about David Montgomery for 9 months, that's obviously my guy...but I want to talk about Kerrith Whyte.  He can be a very intriguing piece for Nagy to work with.  When I was watching him, it was just so obvious on tape the game breaking speed he has.  He gets to the 2nd level so fast that a defense cant miss their fits or he is off to the races, and nobody is running him down from behind.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Right now they're all my favorites.

It's a really good group. Not super high on Ridley, but that's only when taking need into consideration. The DBs have promise, and we only need one of them to work out, anyway. The UDFAs are probably the best bunch in the league. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It's a really good group. Not super high on Ridley, but that's only when taking need into consideration. The DBs have promise, and we only need one of them to work out, anyway. The UDFAs are probably the best bunch in the league. 

Since based on whatever news the Bears put out they're all future All Pros (LOL) I figure I'll let them sort themselves out a bit in camp first.

While I believe Montgomery will eventually prove to be even better than advertised it's Ridley and Shelley who I think may be the two "diamonds in the rough" as far as value goes.  Those two were picks that came from scouts and personnel guys really doing their best homework.

Ridley may not have world class speed and that was the rap on Jerry Rice too but from what I've seen in his videos he's able to do things with his routes naturally that compensate for that and would be very tough to teach.  Great hands and body control as well.  Probably one of the most NFL ready WRs in this draft.

Shelley reminds me a lot of Callahan.  He's tougher than most guys his size and like Callahan very quick but with enough long speed to stick with downfield routes too if he was forced to play outside.  I want to see him playing in some games but I think we may have found a bargain in him just as we did Callahan.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We had 400 non-QB runs last year. I don’t think it’s out of the question that Montgomery gets 75% or more of those rushes honestly assuming a comparable run/pass ratio in 2019. I think they targeted him to be the guy and that he’s capable of that. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Davis cuts into Cohen’s running back snaps more than Montgomery’s. Cohen is best in space and I’d expect that Nagy may look to get him the ball more on extended handoff type plays like bubble screens, drags, slants, etc. where he gets more isolation opportunities. Frankly, the less he is asked to run inside in non-spread formations the better IMO.

We didn’t have anywhere near the ability to move Cohen around in the formation last year without compromising our dual threat remaining in the backfield. I think that’s where Nagy will really get to be creative this year. I don’t think that less RB snaps really impacts Cohen’s overall snap count per se - I think him getting more reps lined up out wide probably leads to a slight reduction in reps for our top WR and maybe Shaheen. Us having other capable dual threat RB just really opens up Nagy to scheme favorable matchups all over the field, with Cohen being our most versatile piece. Cohen excelling in this capacity would only further serve to make Gabriel expendable next offseason too when we could very well be looking to move his cap number to secure other pieces. 

I’m also intrigued to see where (if) Whyte fits into all of this in 2019. The role one would expect he fills if he has one on offense in 2019 is very similar to that of Cohen too. 

I can’t believe camp is still more than 2 months away. 😒🤦‍♂️

I agree, my only reason for the percentage being so low is that Montgomery will need to get used to a complex pro offense, so I think Davis and Cohen might get more runs in the first 6-8 weeks and then Montgomery gets more as he gets the offense down. I'm of the opinion that Cohen is going to transition more into a WR than a RB over the next year or two.

It is going to be an interesting offense this year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm of the opinion that Cohen is going to transition more into a WR than a RB over the next year or two.

I think so too, at least if he’s going to stay here. It won’t be popular but our moves this offseason, should they pan out, really set us up for a post-Cohen era. If Ridley is a top 3 WR for us by 2020 and Robinson is retained (which I see as likely) then Cohen becomes far more expendable as a WR, especially if another pure speed guy is added next offseason, and if Whyte is the explosive in space guy he looked to be in college then Cohen’s RB role may be pretty well otherwise filled as well given that plus the passing game prowess of Montgomery and Davis. 

It won’t shock me if even this season he sees less reps than people are expecting. 

Edited by AZBearsFan