Rank your favorite draft pick ...

dll2000

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

^^^^^^^

To clarify I see Gabriel becoming expendable after this year because of Cohen, and possibly Cohen the following year because of Ridley and Whyte. 

As much as I like Gabriel because he's both fast and sure handed the WR on the roster who should be more valuable overall is Patterson.  Much bigger, just as fast, more versatile (KOR/RB), more effective on bubble screens/blocking, slight less in cost and also signed through 2020.

Unfortunately Gabriel's $5.5 mil 2019 salary is 100% guaranteed but if he could be traded our dead cap hit is just $3 mil in 2019 vs $2 mil in 2020.  If either of the Hall's (and we're not brother dammit!) show some immediate promise Pace could potentially shop Gabriel for a 2020 pick.

I actually like the Kerrith Whyte-RB pick the most of our draft picks.

I can't like Montgomery the most, because I wanted Henderson... and I think it was a sizable mistake letting Henderson go a mere 3 picks earlier.

Riley Ridley I think is great value.... but I wanted more speed/explosiveness from a WR.

That leaves Shelley who's undersized and a double backup (McMannis and Skrine) and Denmark, who's a question mark.

Whyte-RB on the other hand, brings something our offense needed (game breaking speed), and could theoretically take the entirety of Taquan Mizzell's offensive snaps. He's not going to be as critical to the team as Montgomery or Ridley, but he has the clearest path to fill that niche "weapon" role we where using Mizzell for last season, while also bringing an attribute not present elsewhere. I think that represents the best value from the draft picks overall, given he only cost us a 7th.

Favorite UDFAs are Hall-WR and Fitts-Edge

Edited by Epyon

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

I actually like the Kerrith Whyte-RB pick the most of our draft picks.

I can't like Montgomery the most, because I wanted Henderson... and I think it was a sizable mistake letting Henderson go a mere 3 picks earlier.

Riley Ridley I think is great value.... but I wanted more speed/explosiveness from a WR.

That leaves Shelley who's undersized and a double backup (McMannis and Skrine) and Denmark, who's a question mark.

Whyte-RB on the other hand, brings something our offense needed (game breaking speed), and could theoretically take the entirety of Taquan Mizzell's offensive snaps. He's not going to be as critical to the team as Montgomery or Ridley, but he has the clearest path to fill that niche "weapon" role we where using Mizzell for last season, while also bringing an attribute not present elsewhere. I think that represents the best value from the draft picks overall, given he only cost us a 7th.

Favorite UDFAs are Hall-WR and Fitts-Edge

Fitts wasn't a UDFA

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Fitts wasn't a UDFA

And he was drafted in 2018.

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I don't think it would have mattered.  I think Montgomery was their top choice all along.   Whyte should be able to offer some of what Henderson would have so in reality we covered both bases anyway.

1. Duke Shelley 

Not because I think he is a great football player.  I just like the way he plays the game.  He is a mosquito.  Bothers you. Gets in your face.  Plays with a smile.  Goes hard every play.  Plays physical. All this while undersized.  I also like that he could eventually take Skrine’s spot as I wasn’t a fan of his.  

2. Emanuel Hall. 

Fully aware this guy might not even make the team.  Still think he is insane value for an UDFA.  

Every time Mizzu needed a play this guy was one to make it   

Doing a video on him later this week.

3. Montgomery.

A guy who does everything good and nothing great. Never know with these RBs though.  Sometimes they play better in pros than college. Only position you can really say that about.  Glue guy.  High character worker. 

11 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Fitts wasn't a UDFA

Brain fart on my part.... the kid who was nearly the top CFL pick is who I meant...  "Betts"

The one with the oustanding 3 cone and basically little to no actual compeition for his spot.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

And he was drafted in 2018.

I don't think it would have mattered.  I think Montgomery was their top choice all along.   Whyte should be able to offer some of what Henderson would have so in reality we covered both bases anyway.

You somehow quoted me there in the second bubble but I didn't say it :)

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, soulman said:

As much as I like Gabriel because he's both fast and sure handed the WR on the roster who should be more valuable overall is Patterson.  Much bigger, just as fast, more versatile (KOR/RB), more effective on bubble screens/blocking, slight less in cost and also signed through 2020.

Unfortunately Gabriel's $5.5 mil 2019 salary is 100% guaranteed but if he could be traded our dead cap hit is just $3 mil in 2019 vs $2 mil in 2020.  If either of the Hall's (and we're not brother dammit!) show some immediate promise Pace could potentially shop Gabriel for a 2020 pick.

I’ve been operating under the assumption since the draft that they envision Patterson’s ST role being filled by Whyte starting next year. Both Patterson and Gabriel are under contract for 2020 but I think the odds are against either being on the roster next year. 

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ve been operating under the assumption since the draft that they envision Patterson’s ST role being filled by Whyte starting next year. Both Patterson and Gabriel are under contract for 2020 but I think the odds are against either being on the roster next year. 

I was thinking along the lines of trading Gabriel this summer to both get out of his deal and to acquire a late round pick in return.  I think for certain he'll be released in 2020 saving $4.5 mil of cap.  That would cover 80% of Patterson's cap should they decide to keep him.

I believe Patterson will prove more productive for us than we may expect right now and I'm lax to promote a 7th round pick as his replacement without having seen what the kid can do other than run fast.  NFL camps are full of guys who can run fast and little else.

Edited by soulman

Ridley is my pick ...love Montgomery too but think Mike Davis is going to have something to say about who's getting lion's share of snaps

Ridley uses precision and brainpower to gain separation ...very excited to see him in action !

VERY much looking forward to seeing Whyte as well ...

Montgomery is the best of our picks in terms of floor and his ability to make an impact from day 1...I expect him to put up good averages on his touches and with the increase in talent around him and less focus on him from his Iowa State days I think he will be the best RB to come out of this draft even if he is never a top 5 back.