Day Three Picks Or UDFAs Who Will Play in 2019

goldfishwars

Justin Hollins' development will be interesting, he definitely has the upside to see a lot of playing time if he picks up the defense quickly. Right now, they are working him as an edge rusher in base, but as an off ball LB in nickel. They think he could potentially be a solution for covering tight ends. 

As someone else already said, Stanley Morgan has the chance to carve out a niche after Green, Boyd and Ross.  I think Traveon Williams will get a lot of carries early as Zac Taylor will want to rotate the RBs.  Then if Anderson is 100%, he might get some looks too.  If Mixon or Gio Bernard miss any significant time, those numbers will go up substantially.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/18/2019 at 6:56 AM, Dome said:

I think Chauncey Gardner-Johnson [R4 - S, Florida] or Lil'Jordan Humphreys [UDFA - WR, Texas] both have a better chance at becoming an immediate contributor for the Saints. We have seen Saints UDFA RBs find success before though, so who knows.

CGJ has a real good chance to get some serious playing time if we have any injuries in the secondary. I don't think he'll work himself into a starting role without that, but with our history of DB injuries I'd be surprised if he's not a "starter" at some point this season. People think he could push Robinson to start at nickel, but I don't think that's happening for a while. I think he sees the field in mop up duty and as an 6th/7th  DB at first.

Humphrey's is entering a crowded but halfway unrefined WR room. After Thomas, Kamara and now Cook there are a lot of hungry mouths to feed and not much to go around on offense. Payton looks to utilize mismatches as well as any coach in the league he's gonna want to toy around with the mismatch of Humphrey's size and knack for YAC. Despite his poor testing, Humphrey's is a good runner and has some wiggle. I can see him as a guy you throw too just short of the sticks if you like the matchup, he can get you a first down with a nifty move. He's not gonna outrun the defense, but if he's got one guy to out maneuver for a couple yards I like his odds. Payton is going to want to get him the ball if he can find the field.

Bump. Both these guys are seeing the field.

CGJ is doing a lot more with his snaps and has become our #2 slot corner behind PJ. With PJ getting suspended CGJ will have a chance to take the job. If he plays well, PJ won’t get the job back. Nailed it.

Humphreys has seen the field due to a Trequan Smith injury, and is more or less a body the defense has to account for right now. He’s played 32 snaps and is yet to register a catch. His first career target was a 3rd down drop. Nailed it?

Edited by Dome