2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Hadn’t really watched Justin Madubuike, but now that I have he’s the clear cut pick. He looks like Chris Jones out there. Could you imagine a defensive front next year composed of: Calais Campbell- Brandon Williams- Justin Maubuike? Would be a gorgeous calamity.

Only slight negative I found with Madubuike was that he’s slightly older for a redshirt junior. I was expecting 1998, but he’s 1997. Making him aged similar to a redshirt senior. Thus it makes sense that he came out this year. Was hoping his age breakout score was a bit higher, but nothing wrong with his current age especially considering he came out this season. Not a big deal at all, just more of a slight disappointment.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Hadn’t really watched Justin Madubuike, but now that I have he’s the clear cut pick. He looks like Chris Jones out there. Could you imagine a defensive front next year composed of: Calais Campbell- Brandon Williams- Justin Maubuike? Would be a gorgeous calamity.

That'd be beastly for sure. It's early, but everything I've seen from Madubuike has been encouraging. The debate over him vs Neville Gallimore and Ross Blacklock will probably become common place among Raven fans everywhere. We'll have to see who can separate themselves as we get closer to draft day.

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

If he’s there, regardless of need, I’m taking him.

Honestly I think Safety is an under the radar (not small) need. Levine is a FA, Carr is a FA, Earl is in his 30s, Deshon has IR'd two seasons in a row now and hasn't cemented himself, and Clark is in a contract year. We need to add young bodies to that group 100%. So feel free to mock us a safety early if you think he's a true monster :ph34r:.

9 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Only slight negative I found with Madubuike was that he’s slightly older for a redshirt junior. I was expecting 1998, but he’s 1997. Making him aged similar to a redshirt senior. Thus it makes sense that he came out this year. Was hoping his age breakout score was a bit higher, but nothing wrong with his current age especially considering he came out this season. Not a big deal at all, just more of a slight disappointment.

Yea it would be nice if he was a year or two younger, but breakout age isn't really a thing for DIs. You can find tons of guys that came into the league at 22 or 23 and produced. 

Neville Gallimore another projected Round 1-2 DI is already 23, Ross Blacklock is 21.6, Leki Fotu is 21.5, Jordan Elliot was born 6 days after Madubuike, and Raekwon Davis is 22.7.

^^^We're probably drafting one of them. Look forward to digging into all of them some more. I like Fotu, Blacklock, and Madubuike a good amount so far. Gallimore has nice flashes and a monster motor. Started watching Elliot's cut ups but bailed early when I got bored, so I'll have to revisit. And haven't really peeked at Davis yet. Will be interesting to get everyone's thoughts on the group.

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Honestly I think Safety is an under the radar (not small) need. Levine is a FA, Carr is a FA, Earl is in his 30s, Deshon has IR'd two seasons in a row now and hasn't cemented himself, and Clark is in a contract year. We need to add young bodies to that group 100%. So feel free to mock us a safety early if you think he's a true monster :ph34r:.

Yeah, good point. Grant Delpit falling is the only prospect falling that would probably have me change my mind... which seems to be more and more likely in recent mocks. If he falls I’m going all in on that. Then we could run more nickel with Chuck Clark operating as the NLB and Delpit can do it all. But he’s going to be a guy who can play cover 1 and really allow our defense to get fun.

Do any of you think there is a talent, that we should trade up to get? Derrick Brown could be an option or Javon Kinlaw, but I think we can find value at the position with either our 1 or second round pick.

I could somehow see Wirff falling but I don't know if trading up for what would be a guard would be the smart thing to do, although he has a lot of upside.

With where we are at, atm I like the idea that we get some value later by trading back with one of our 4th round picks and maybe use two of them to get back into the 3rd round. We are slated to receive 2 comp picks, most likely in the 4th round which gives us 4 four 4th round draft picks. That should be 8 picks in total, which would be sufficient for the positions we need to address

• Like 1

I doubt he last that long, but Antoine Brooks jr. from Maryland is certainly a guy we should target. I love how he form tackles and goes low and wrap up runningbacks and receivers so they don't get extra yards and he is really fast and active in the box. Think he will be an excellent special teamer as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danand said:

Do any of you think there is a talent, that we should trade up to get? Derrick Brown could be an option or Javon Kinlaw, but I think we can find value at the position with either our 1 or second round pick.

This DI and EDGE class is pretty sketchy. I like a few of the guys in each group, but I'm not super confident in any of them. So I understand why a decent chunk of fans are calling for a trade up to secure one of the top prospects. It doesn't seem too reasonable though, unless Kinlaw beats up his agent or something and falls a bit. I think both players(Kinlaw,Brown) are Top 10-12 locks. Maybe if the FO is really high on Epenesa or YGM, they could do a small boost up. That would make more sense. 

I'm much more comfortable with the offensive talent that will be on the board, but our major needs are defensive centered and the classes on that side of the ball are much weaker. So we're in a much more precarious position than I initially appraised off first glance with this draft. 

On 2/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, good point. Grant Delpit falling is the only prospect falling that would probably have me change my mind... which seems to be more and more likely in recent mocks. If he falls I’m going all in on that. Then we could run more nickel with Chuck Clark operating as the NLB and Delpit can do it all. But he’s going to be a guy who can play cover 1 and really allow our defense to get fun.

I'm curious if EDC will show to value safety depth as much as he does CB depth and possibly take a Delpit in the draft even though we've now got Clark signed to an extension.

I mean, he was ready to trade for Jamal Adams at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I'm curious if EDC will show to value safety depth as much as he does CB depth and possibly take a Delpit in the draft even though we've now got Clark signed to an extension.

I mean, he was ready to trade for Jamal Adams at the deadline.

Which is why I think selecting Delpit would make sense. Clearly if he was interested in Adams, he would be interested in Delpit. Both are absolute playmakers... and Clark was also playing at a high level so you’d have to think the plan would’ve been to use all three safeties interchangeably anyway and go with a 3 safety look at all times. With Delpit in tow, I think we would see the same.

21 hours ago, Danand said:

I doubt he last that long, but Antoine Brooks jr. from Maryland is certainly a guy we should target. I love how he form tackles and goes low and wrap up runningbacks and receivers so they don't get extra yards and he is really fast and active in the box. Think he will be an excellent special teamer as well.

As a Maryland alum/fan, Brooks was a better football player at safety 2 years ago than Savage who was drafted in the first round because of his measurables and had a great rookie year for Green Bay

He took a bit of a step back this year, but he's a guy who will be a consistently good player at what you ask him to do for 7-8 years in the NFL, whether that's spot duty on defense, particular box packages, STs, whatever

37 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Which is why I think selecting Delpit would make sense. Clearly if he was interested in Adams, he would be interested in Delpit. Both are absolute playmakers... and Clark was also playing at a high level so you’d have to think the plan would’ve been to use all three safeties interchangeably anyway and go with a 3 safety look at all times. With Delpit in tow, I think we would see the same.

Yeah I forgot to add he was probably planning on keeping Chuck either way.

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Are you guys not concerned with Delpits tackling?

Not particularly. He’s better than Eric Weddle in that regard. He’s an all pro from a playmaking, cover, and athletic perspective. Every player has a weakness. I mean Ed Reed with his nerve issue became a poor tackler and because we had reliable tackling elsewhere at safety it didn’t matter. We have Clark as that guy and Earl Thomas is a reliable tackler as well. Lastly I think we have the DC in Wink that can be smart enough to hide Delpit’s flaws.

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

Are you guys not concerned with Delpits tackling?

I am, but I have also been "unfortunate" to only see games where Delpit was really really bad and I have read other places, that those where particularly bad games with him. It was not just the tackling though. It was ankles and understanding plays and if he where playing injured, then there are other ways to make a play than dug your head and just lunge into nowhere like another Matt Elam. He is a guy I have to watch more, because the good plays must be on film in some games.

Another example is that I have Jeudy lower than Ruggs atm, but in every Alabama game I have seen, I have liked Ruggs more and Jeudy has been quite invisible. On the other hand, Devonta Smith was the guy I was most impressed with in 2 games I saw, but that could obviously be because he got more space to work with if Ruggs/Jeudy draw more coverage.

PFF on Delpit's Missed Tackles-

S GRANT DELPIT, LSU

Buyer beware of: Missed tackles
We’re still higher on Delpit than anyone else on this list, but we’d be lying if we said the missed tackles didn’t terrify us. Here’s his whiff stats over the course of his career:
Year MTs MT Rate Tackling Grade
2019 20 25.6% 44.5
2018 16 19.8% 59.8
2017 8 12.1% 60.9

There’s no sugar-coating it: those numbers are ugly. Them getting worse this season is a tad misleading, as he missed a ton of tackles after a mid-season ankle injury had him hobbling around the field. Still, the fact that they’re not getting better is very concerning. It’s something any team drafting Delpit will have to live with early on in his career. -

Then there's also this FWIW-

Should be an interesting evaluation for the FO.