2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Granted as always I'm not super informed on a lot of draft prospects and I know Simmons is being billed as a true 'can't miss'/blue chip guy, but I just don't think ILB is really that much a game-changing position anymore that it's worth trading the farm for him. Only kind of defensive draft prospect I'd probably do that kind of deal for is an elite EDGE or interior rusher prospect. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Granted as always I'm not super informed on a lot of draft prospects and I know Simmons is being billed as a true 'can't miss'/blue chip guy, but I just don't think ILB is really that much a game-changing position anymore that it's worth trading the farm for him. Only kind of defensive draft prospect I'd probably do that kind of deal for is an elite EDGE or interior rusher prospect. 

What folks love about him is that he's not just an ILB. They see him as a game changer in terms of "positionless football" where he's moved all around the field in various looks and excelling in all of them because of his insane athleticism. 

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

What folks love about him is that he's not just an ILB. They see him as a game changer in terms of "positionless football" where he's moved all around the field in various looks and excelling in all of them because of his insane athleticism. 

Interesting. Certainly the sort of thing that would get Wink excited, I'm guessing.

Is there any danger he's one of those 'jack of all trades, master of none' kind of players? Where will his impact be most felt? 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Interesting. Certainly the sort of thing that would get Wink excited, I'm guessing.

Is there any danger he's one of those 'jack of all trades, master of none' kind of players? Where will his impact be most felt? 

I'll defer to others on him. He's one of the higher-acclaim guys that I admittedly know less about at a detailed level. 

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

He's a taller, more durable Derwin James.

12 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

New hypothetical scenario: If Isaiah Simmons falls to the Jags/Jets at 9 or 11 and they ask for our 1st, 2nd and Hayden Hurst. Would you do it?

Absolutely not. Jerry Jeudy would make much more sense to trade up for with that 3rd and Hurst a couple picks later.

I see Simmons as a Derwin James/Eric Berry type of player. Definitely worth the capital if we were desperate. But as it stands with Clark, would rather we seize other opportunities in the draft to improve this squad.

• Like 1

KJ Hamler fits our system perfectly. He has the quickness to chew up loaded underneath coverage, he's a nightmare on extended plays - constantly chasing space and separating, and obviously he has the horrific speed to consistently stretch and open up defenses. His release package and route running is underrated as well. And he's only 20 years old. BOA and production is all there. 

Add a guy like Hamler, and I really don't know how you contend with our offense? Especially when we go empty. 

It makes sense why EDC said "Jeudy, Lamb, and Hamler". The FO knows the kind of fit he is for our offense. 

Obviously Derrick Brown and the rest of the Auburn Dline was really good this year, but Lloyd Cushenberry does not look good in that game. I have to watch more on him, but I don't have as good a feeling about him as I though I would after watching some clips on him.

CEH and Joe Burrow as well as Jamar Chase really stands out though.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:49 PM, Danand said:

CEH and Joe Burrow as well as Jamar Chase really stands out though.

Even with this crazy deep WR class, Chase would still go like Top 5. He's a clear cut case of why it's BS that the players can't declare whenever they want. Jonathan Taylor is another big one, so much more mileage on him because he had to stay the 3 years. 

CEH is just depressing. He's such a fun player and I know there's like a 0% chance we draft him. 

• Like 1

Watching and rewatching more tape. YGM needs more work in the passing game then I thought. He’s getting sacks by just being longer, stronger, and quicker than many of these college guys. He’s going to have to improve both his pass rushing technique as well as his violence. I can see why @Danand had a problem with the Chandler Jones comparison. I think the comparison still stands because of the measurables and the field mobility, but Jones was definitely the more violent pass rusher coming out IIRC.

Also rewatching Terrell Lewis, the idea of Lewis sounds better than what I’m seeing the reality to be. Just don’t see it with him. He has a fantastic long arm technique and his spin move is definitely intriguing, but I’m seeing too many reps where the OL really gets into him. I think optimally to play with his style he needs to add another 15 lbs to his playing weight... which he’s seemingly done as he played at Alabama at 248-253 and as of the combine he was roughly 263 lbs. The problem however with Lewis is a) projecting how he moves at the increased weight and b) his durability at the increased weight. Durability is something where sometimes adding weight insulates a player from injury, but sometimes increased weight can also expose a player to more injuries. I think Lewis has potential but I see more bust than boom in his profile.

Right now for our pick at #28 I’m undecided between Zack Baun and Patrick Queen, I like them both, but Queen is three years younger and with Campbell, Williams, and Brockers up front, having an athletic dynamo that can chase down plays sideline to sideline and cover TEs would complete that defensive design. Especially as I think Bowser can be incredibly effective with those big bodies occupying double teams, allowing him to see plenty of 1on1 opportunities.