2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

What Uche can do now certainly fits with what we need, especially if we get McPhee back. I like him, I guess most do - but we tend to prefer bigger edge rushers, which is why I think most are projecting YGM, Curtis Weaver, Anfernee Jennings, Darrell Taylor as fits for us.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Harrison in the company of some monster athletes. 

We really need to extend Bowser now before he blows up this year, it’s so easy to see coming.

Opportunities + that front 3 = Profit.

But yeah, if the team decides that they’re moreso into the thumper option Harrison would be my favorite day two option.

I obviously like Jordyn Brooks more only because of his increased sideline to sideline skillset, but either player would seriously be a positive boon to our defensive front IMO. 

• Like 1

Extending Bowser could also serve as a precautionary option. As DB mentioned, we don't want him blowing up this year posting 7 sacks in a rotational role. 

Even if he doesn't ascend as a pass rusher, I think we have a versatile option as a coverage outside linebacker, and that value alone should have us extending Bowser for years. Anything he would develop into would be a bonus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

We really need to extend Bowser now before he blows up this year, it’s so easy to see coming.

Opportunities + that front 3 = Profit.

But yeah, if the team decides that they’re moreso into the thumper option Harrison would be my favorite day two option.

I obviously like Jordyn Brooks more only because of his increased sideline to sideline skillset, but either player would seriously be a positive boon to our defensive front IMO. 

I hate to say it but it seems like Bowser's chances of "blowing up" seem to wane with every passing year.

It feels like every year we all really want him to put it together because he has elite traits and we spent a relatively high pick on him, but to this point, all he's really been is solid - and that's with him being relatively fresh almost every snap with him in a timeshare. It even felt at times last year we as a fan base were stretching with how effective he was being - like, he was finally decent in his role, and we all were over the moon because he was simply doing his job. Certainly didn't have anything near a dominant performance last year (or any year) like you'd hope a 2nd round pick would inevitably at some point. 

I get I'm in the minority in this opinion because again - he has such exciting traits so people really want him to come to fruition - but at some point I think people are just seeing what they want to see with Bowser, and not what's really there. People often point to his multitude of duties on defense - defending the pass, run, and pass rushing from the outside. But that's always been a position in our defense where we expect/have gotten good all-around play, and honestly, there have been many before Bowser who did it better than he quite frankly. Just because he drops into coverage and managed to get 5 mostly coverage/cleanup sacks doesn't make him some awesome weapon to this point. It just makes him a JAG in our defense who doesn't particularly stand out in any aspect but does a bunch of things at (for the most part) a replacement level. Again, hopefully he proves me wrong this year, but I'm not banking on that for yet another offseason. I'll expect Tyus to be what he's proven to be so far next year - a guy who's just kind of out there who we can always point to his athleticism to get excited in conversation, but never really does much with it on the field.

He will definitely have a monster d-line (according to the plan, at least) in front of him this year, that's for sure, so no excuses.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I hate to say it but it seems like Bowser's chances of "blowing up" seem to wane with every passing year.

It feels like every year we all really want him to put it together because he has elite traits and we spent a relatively high pick on him, but to this point, all he's really been is solid - and that's with him being relatively fresh almost every snap with him in a timeshare. It even felt at times last year we as a fan base were stretching with how effective he was being - like, he was finally decent in his role, and we all were over the moon because he was simply doing his job. Certainly didn't have anything near a dominant performance last year (or any year) like you'd hope a 2nd round pick would inevitably at some point. 

I get I'm in the minority in this opinion because again - he has such exciting traits so people really want him to come to fruition - but at some point I think people are just seeing what they want to see with Bowser, and not what's really there. People often point to his multitude of duties on defense - defending the pass, run, and pass rushing from the outside. But that's always been a position in our defense where we expect/have gotten good all-around play, and honestly, there have been many before Bowser who did it better than he quite frankly. Just because he drops into coverage and managed to get 5 mostly coverage/cleanup sacks doesn't make him some awesome weapon to this point. It just makes him a JAG in our defense who doesn't particularly stand out in any aspect but does a bunch of things at (for the most part) a replacement level. Again, hopefully he proves me wrong this year, but I'm not banking on that for yet another offseason. I'll expect Tyus to be what he's proven to be so far next year - a guy who's just kind of out there who we can always point to his athleticism to get excited in conversation, but never really does much with it on the field.

He will definitely have a monster d-line (according to the plan, at least) in front of him this year, that's for sure, so no excuses.

I see what you’re saying and all, but I feel incredibly confident in saying this, just like I thought Lamar Jackson would be in the MVP conversation, I feel Bowser is going to explode this season and go for a ridiculous line like:

2 INTs, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 TDs; 11 sacks, 13 TFL, and 50-60 solo tackles.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I see what you’re saying and all, but I feel incredibly confident in saying this, just like I thought Lamar Jackson would be in the MVP conversation, I feel Bowser is going to explode this season and go for a ridiculous line like:

2 INTs, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 TDs; 11 sacks, 13 TFL, and 50-60 solo tackles.

Hey. I'd love to see it! :P

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I obviously like Jordyn Brooks more only because of his increased sideline to sideline skillset

I got around to watching Brooks and he kind of flashed like a heavier Telvin Smith at times for me. I'm liking some of these Day 2 options hanging around at off ball LB. Better class than last year's for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I'm really coming around to the idea of taking Xavier McKinney in the first if he somehow falls close to us and just using him as a sub linebacker in that 5-15 yard part of the field

One of many guys who can take on a variety of roles within our defense.

Some of the top early round LB/S Hybrid options-

- Isaiah Simmons

- Xavier McKinney

- Kyle Dugger

- Jeremy Chinn

- Davion Taylor

- Antoine Brooks

With a need at LB and Safety, there's a good chance we bring one of these guys to Baltimore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Danand said:

I still prefer Malik Harrison to Brooks and Murray. Troy Dye is someone I have to watch more of after seeing this video:

Just looked at him again briefly. Considering the 2nd day talent in this class, I think Troy Dye is a fringe Day 2/3 performer. I see similar frames and offerings between what he brings to the table and Akeem Davis-Gaither FTMP. Dye has the natural athleticism, just enough for me to classify him as “sideline to sideline”, however he’s not as athletically gifted as Jordyn Brooks or Willie Gay III.

Also not that it’s a huge deal (because Baun is the same age) but I think age does play a part and Dye will be 24 by the start of the season whereas ADG is a full year younger, Gay is 1 1/2 years younger, and Brooks as a true senior is likely 22, but I can’t find any information on that ATM.

I certainly wouldn’t be against Troy Dye, but I would prefer other options. Everything I read on him says great coverage, but i haven’t seen that in the games I’ve watched. Saw him get sautéed by a RB releasing out of the backfield running an out route though. I think he’d be a quality 4th round pick, but I personally wouldn’t take him before our comp 3rd.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

One of many guys who can take on a variety of roles within our defense.

Some of the top early round LB/S Hybrid options-

- Isaiah Simmons

- Xavier McKinney

- Kyle Dugger

- Jeremy Chinn

- Davion Taylor

- Antoine Brooks

With a need at LB and Safety, there's a good chance we bring one of these guys to Baltimore.

There will definitely be numerous snaps where we are either in the racecar or more traditional dime where it would be awesome to have Earl - Clark - Elliot/impact rookie able to play that dimebacker role. This package on 3rd-and-long sounds incredible:

Thomas (S)                               McKinney/Dugger/Chinn (S)

Clark (DB)

Peters (CB)                      Young (NB)                                                                                                   Humphrey (CB)

Judon (Edge/LB)    Ferguson (Edge/LB)     Campbell (DT)    Ward (Edge/LB)     Bowser/rookie Edge (Edge/LB)

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 2