2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Obviously the season hasn’t started yet but already our positions of need seem to be becoming clear for this draft season. Pass rush and OG/OC seem to be the early favorites. I was hoping that these positions would show better than they had in preseason, but Tim Williams looks to have regressed since last season, Bowser looks pretty good. But we could really use an elite pass rusher.

Elite center and elite pass rusher would be my pick for our 1st round needs. Tyler Biadasz and Cesar Ruiz both look like they could be 1st round talents at center. Now I need to cast a bigger net in identifying pass rushers that feel like Ravens.

The darkhorse pick in the 1st round though will be CB. So those three positions are probably the ones we’re most primed to need to identify.

Well said. Especially mentioning CB as a position to look at in the first round. 

As far as EDGE goes, Curtis Weaver is my guy.

• Like 1

the biggest need by far is a successor to Yanda. With him gone this line has no leadership and has no interior talent at all. 

An elite secondary should at least help to cover deficincies in pressuring the QB but i don't want Jackson to constantly have pressure in his face, become gun shy and end like David Carr.

With the developments along the DL, 5-tech just went up on my list to look out for. Williams is getting older and only keeping 5 lineman says a lot about how the team a) views the importance of the DL position in the current NFL

b) views the level of similar talent along the team that hasn’t differentiated itself

c) The minutes that will go to the current top of the rotation. Probably won’t see them come out as much.

So throw in Williams increasing age and Pierce’s new work ethic concerns and finding a Jefferey Simmons type of player could be a boon.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

Confused as to why #81 didn’t tackle him. In the NFL he gets smacked for not calling the fair catch... but he definitely is fast though. No denying that.

He appears to be terrible at football(or at least tackling), but he is just their LS. So there's that, but also...Alcorn State is DeLance Turner's Alma Mater- which happens to be a HBCU

Take a look at their Roster- https://alcornsports.com/roster.aspx?roster=165&path=football

He's not exactly showing out for the handful of white dudes that actually play for HBCU football teams lol.

Greg Blue
KICKER 5'10" 170 LBS

GREG BLUE

Dylan Taylor
LONG SNAPPER 6'3" 180 LBS

DYLAN TAYLOR

Colten Menges
LONG SNAPPER 6'5" 250 LBS
  • Like 1

On another note, while I haven’t completely gone in on tape from last year for the upcoming prospects, but out of what I’ve seen... does anyone else get the impression that 2020 will be a down year for talent in the draft.

Looking at Bradley Chubb, I saw a surefire gamewrecker that when Lamar played him was causing all kinds of problems for Louisville. That and against Derwin James might’ve been the only games where Lamar wasn’t the clear cut best player on the field by a mile.

Anyways I’m looking at some of the highest ranked prospects in this class and I come away unimpressed too often. Can’t help but think that either the draft media is even more wrong than usual or this year is going to be a bit of a disappointment and the small school options will be crucial to build a good draft class.

If we want wide receivers. Next year seems to be a great year. I am mostly interested in the plethora of cornerbacks who could come out. If we grab a center early and then stock up on CB's back to backk, I think we could position us well to let Jimmy Smith go and/or trade Carr. We could get young at that position fast.

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

I haven't been paying much attention to CFB yet (I've only seen the last quarter of last week's LSU-Texas game this year) but from my dynasty fantasy football reading I know that this year is supposed to be good for skill position players

Yeah, I like some of the OL options I’ve seen. I like the running backs. And some of the WRs have looked good.

As it stands though, defense has been my main focus and the top pass rushers I’ve come away unimpressed. The corners I’ve come away unimpressed. Like when Jimmy came out, I immediately knew he was a baller, haven’t gotten that impression with some of the guys I’ve seen. They look more like “athletic potential” guys vs legit shutdown corners.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

If we want wide receivers. Next year seems to be a great year. I am mostly interested in the plethora of cornerbacks who could come out. If we grab a center early and then stock up on CB's back to backk, I think we could position us well to let Jimmy Smith go and/or trade Carr. We could get young at that position fast.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. The moment we seem to provide an answer to the receiver equation, that seems to be one of the few position groups I’m impressed with. Though Willie Snead and Chris Moore are free agents, so the team may figure to move on with a draft talent and open up a spot for an extra receiver.

I’ve also noticed that recently we’ve seen an improvement in the quality of the safety position in college football vs a down period for quite a while. These high level safeties are transitioning very well: Darnell Savage, John Abrams both look like they have All Pro type potential at some point in their career. Jamaal Adams, Malik Hooker, Derwin James.

So I’m looking at some of the safety tape as well since safeties have typically fallen to the lower part of the 1st round and we will see a spot open up as Chuck Clark will be a FA this year. So perhaps that position group will look good as well. Grant Delpit is one of the top players in this draft who has immediately stood out to me as a stud. Unlike a Chase Young, Javon Kinlaw, AJ Epenesa, etc.