2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Watch Brandon Aiyuk and then Denzel Mims and watch the difference in how they catch the ball. Mims looks like an excellent hand catcher. Aiyuk on the other hand is the guy I think is the better fit for what Jackson likes in a receiver. To me, if we could come away with either Mims, Reagor, Jefferson or Aiyuk with one of our first three picks, then I wouldn't complain.

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

It's wild how many mocks have us taking a RB round 1.

I just really don't see it

I don't see it either. Did Ingram look like he had lost a step last year? Gus Edwards is widely recognized as a young bruiser who could start. Justice Hill came on late but looked good against the Steelers. Investing in a high round runningback would be really bad value considering how few snaps they would get and the need we have on the rest of the team.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest i don’t like Mims...especially in round 1. He doesn’t look like a natural receiver to me at all...much more like an athlete playing receiver than the other way around. Looks pretty stiff out there at times too. Idk. I feel like there’s so many better receivers in this draft for us outside of the fact that Mims likes to block

52 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

It's wild how many mocks have us taking a RB round 1.

I just really don't see it

Yeah the only way I see us adding a RB is if Swift or Taylor falls into the 3rd round or so. Maybe Dobbins or Edwards Halaire if they're there with the 3rd round comp pick and we're looking at it as BPA. 

Even more confusing than the Round 1 RB projects is the mocks giving us Cam Akers or Antonio Gibson types in Rounds 3/4 - we already went the mid-level/mid-round route with Justice Hill last year. We've got a full RB room with Ingram/Gus/Hill right and I don't really see a need to add to that unless we're getting a high-level talent that immediately takes on a significant role in the offense. There's no point in going for another developmental/change of pace type back. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

What about Ruiz at 28?? He is a slam dunk prospect in my opinion and we do have ties to Michigan!

I was the first on the Ruiz bandwagon but I wouldn’t. He’s not an elite center prospect IMO. I think he’s a fringe 1st/2nd round talent. But he’s clearly inferior to Tyler Biadasz at center. Ruiz is strong, physical, a people mover... he’s quick. But he’s not nearly as cerebral and gets guys aligned at the same level. He’s also not as agile to pull. Feel his contact balance is also less impressive. Would much rather target Biadasz over Ruiz. It’s very similar to the comparison between Wills (Biadasz) and Whirfs (Ruiz).

Though I will agree that if we can come away with either of these two players in the second round that would be a fantastic boon.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I was the first on the Ruiz bandwagon but I wouldn’t. He’s not an elite center prospect IMO. I think he’s a fringe 1st/2nd round talent. But he’s clearly inferior to Tyler Biadasz at center. Ruiz is strong, physical, a people mover... he’s quick. But he’s not nearly as cerebral and gets guys aligned at the same level. He’s also not as agile to pull. Feel his contact balance is also less impressive. Would much rather target Biadasz over Ruiz. It’s very similar to the comparison between Wills (Biadasz) and Whirfs (Ruiz).

Though I will agree that if we can come away with either of these two players in the second round that would be a fantastic boon.

Great breakdown and I obviously respect your opinion.. I just like Ruiz a bit more because of his punch and power and he shouldn't have any issues moving guys off the ball at the next level ..What I've seen and read on him he seems to be a very heady player who has no trouble at all diagnosing twists and stunts.. Also you just know that Jim has been talking his brother up on him as well.. I would love to land him but i just don't think he will make down to 55

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

Great breakdown and I obviously respect your opinion.. I just like Ruiz a bit more because of his punch and power and he shouldn't have any issues moving guys off the ball at the next level ..What I've seen and read on him he seems to be a very heady player who has no trouble at all diagnosing twists and stunts.. Also you just know that Jim has been talking his brother up on him as well.. I would love to land him but i just don't think he will make down to 55

Absolutely. And I should probably clarify, when I say Ruiz isn’t as cerebral, it’s not me saying he’s a dumb player that can make the line calls. He’s actually very good in that aspect. I think Ruiz is cerebrally on a similar level to Pouncey. From a playstyle standpoint he reminds me of Travis Frederick.

Now that all being said, Tyler Biadasz is IMO the best center prospect that I’ve ever scouted. From a combination of power, contact balance, liquid hips to pull, and a cerebral ability of the highest order.

I think Ruiz is faster and more powerful than Biadasz, but Biadasz I feel rolls off the bus as a more pro bowl capable center/IOL from day one. I see this comparison as Ruiz (Whirfs) vs Biadasz (Wills). Or said another way Peyton Manning (Biadasz) vs Phillip Rivers (Ruiz).

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What exactly is the reason Biadasz has slipped on draft boards in the first place? Seems like everyone in the draft eval community loves him and he has the pedigree to back that hype up. Yet he's seemingly available in the middle rounds. What gives? 

People point towards breakdowns in fundamentals and mentions he has bad hand placement and bad footwork and has regressed over the years after he came on strong, also some injuries played a part.

I don't see it though, I think he looks great, maybe a bit unorthodox at times but he gets real push in the run game, has a great anchor, often walls of defenders as well in the running game and athletic enough to block in space, if we get him in the 2. round, that is not high at all in my opinion

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

What exactly is the reason Biadasz has slipped on draft boards in the first place? Seems like everyone in the draft eval community loves him and he has the pedigree to back that hype up. Yet he's seemingly available in the middle rounds. What gives? 

I think a part of this is injury concerns combined with the usual over-analysis of an elite talent. Had Biadasz come out last season he’s the first IOL off the board, but with the increased year and the injury issues, it’s caused a little pause. That and center prospects generally don’t go high in the draft to begin with. Usually the top center options such as Travis Frederick or Frank Ragnow, etc only go after pick 20... so if you have a few good ones it pushes everyone else down the board. This year you’ve got Lloyd Cushenberry, Cesar Ruiz, Tyler Biadasz, and Matt Hennessy as top quality centers. All of which have versatility to play in both man and zone blocking schemes. So now as opposed to taking a center at pick 20-25 range and starting the run on position, teams can afford to wait until the second round and still feel confident that you’re going to get a top notch center on day two.

That as well as TheDraftNetwork seem to be aggressively against Biadasz for some reason. Most other sites I check have him as a second round option, successfully putting him as a top 3 center along with Ruiz and Cushenberry, while they have him as like the 4th/5th best center making him much lower on their board.

On 3/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Even more confusing than the Round 1 RB projects is the mocks giving us Cam Akers or Antonio Gibson types in Rounds 3/4 - we already went the mid-level/mid-round route with Justice Hill last year. We've got a full RB room with Ingram/Gus/Hill right and I don't really see a need to add to that unless we're getting a high-level talent that immediately takes on a significant role in the offense. There's no point in going for another developmental/change of pace type back. 

If NFL teams allow Jonathan Taylor to fall to our pick in the second round, I’m sprinting to the podium.

I find our RB options as very pleasant. But when I look at the group none combine elite athleticism with elite vision. Ingram has great vision, but only average athleticism. Gus has good vision with good athleticism. Hill has great athleticism with terrible vision.

I see the current group as being a version of those 2007/2008 backfields. Ingram is McGahee. Edwards being a more athletic McClain (plus with the Lamar effect). And Hill being a Rice with vastly inferior RB vision. None of the backs are particularly “special.” If we could’ve traded that 2007/2008 backfield for a prime LaDainian Tomlinson, I absolutely would have done it.

The only negative I see with Jonathan Taylor is the amount of mileage, but luckily his running style is similar to Lamar in how he tries to avoid damage when he can, so that might allow for him to be a little less battered than his carries might indicate.