2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

I think OL is actually the easiest place to “get cute” with respect to versatility. Tons of NFL OG (and even centers) were tackles in college. Mekari was a tackle in college, Ryan Jensen was a tackle in college, Yanda was a tackle in college (and played RT in NFL), even Jon Ogden played a year at LG. I don’t think the idea that it would be great to get a guy with the ability to play OT competently at pro level, but having him play OG is looking for too rare of a unicorn here, or necessarily sacrificing ability for versatility. 

Generally when a guy switches to OG (or even C) in the NFL coming from college it means he can't play on the outside at the higher level. Doubly so when trying to slot a guy in at left tackle. That's not what I envision when trying to get something as important as backup tackle covered. Especially since Stanley has had some durability issues.

And to be clear guys like Mekari and Jensen aren't going back outside. They moved where they had to and are staying there. It's worked out tremendously well for them, but they are where they need to be. Yanda and Ogden are Hall of Fame quality players - they're going to dominate regardless of where they're at. I would have loved to see what Osemele could have done if he stayed with Baltimore and kept trending the way he was. Oh well, money talks. 

10 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

No. Just get both. A starting guard and a backup tackle. I don't think the offensive line is an area the Ravens can afford to try and get cute with by hedging on versatility. Osemele is a high, high standard to live up to. He was a late second round pick, but obviously shouldn't have lasted that long. There's room on the roster for a couple of additions to the offensive line. Baltimore should invest as much as possible into those spots. 

Oh I would prefer they get both 100%...just feel like from years past the G/T combo may be something they try to swing...but I agree, especially with the capital we have this year you need to get both

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

I think OL is actually the easiest place to “get cute” with respect to versatility. Tons of NFL OG (and even centers) were tackles in college. Mekari was a tackle in college, Ryan Jensen was a tackle in college, Yanda was a tackle in college (and played RT in NFL), even Jon Ogden played a year at LG. I don’t think the idea that it would be great to get a guy with the ability to play OT competently at pro level, but having him play OG is looking for too rare of a unicorn here, or necessarily sacrificing ability for versatility. 

Same. Though I will agree with the point of “take two” guys. I’m thinking a guy with C/OG versatility such as a Tyler Biadasz, Cesar Ruiz, or Lloyd Cushenberry... and then take another guy that you think might be an OT that you could develop some OG versatility within such as an Andrew Thomas (if he fell), Ben Barth (loved his senior bowl), or Robert Hunt. Double dipping in such a way would mean we could cover versatility while also the competition itself looks to create a “let the best man win” scenario.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:34 PM, wackywabbit said:

The key challenge to this draft will be finding a way to bolster the interior O-line.  It's not supposed to be a good class, but this org has always been better than most at finding gems there. Maybe look at some potential tackle converts who get pushed down the board.

Not sure I agree with this consensus. Not sure why its that way but this draft has the best center prospect I’ve graded in Tyler Biadasz, has really good pro bowl level center options in Lloyd Cushenberry (who beat Kinlaw at the SB on most reps), and Cesar Ruiz who I’ve been high on this entire year. I see a host of round one OTs with talent. This class may not be as hyped as in some of years past but I see a good combination of physical specimens, technique marvels, and cerebral talents. There are things I don’t like about this class, but the OL, the IOL especially, isn’t one of the things I would point to.

I’m moreso transfixed on the weakness of the pass rush class. I mean how a guy like Chaisson is a legit top 15 prospect at this point and not more like a 2nd round prospect is beyond me. I see the potential sure, but his production leaves a ton to be desired. Same with Terrell Lewis. Heck even Baun didn’t really pop off until this season in his age 22 season. YGM is only a junior but has the age of a senior as he’s 22, which isn’t bad, but its still somewhat disappointing.

Then I look at the LB class and I laugh at how few impact options I can point to that I like. I’m stuck with Patrick Queen, Jordyn Brooks, and Malik Harrison (MAYBE Willie Gay Jr if I can find some more of his tape). Everyone else is either seemingly overhyped, not athletic, or over aged like hell. Needless to say I’m not comfortable saying any of these guys are surefire pro bowl options at the next level... which is my notion of how talented a position group is in a draft... how many guys I can foresee as pro bowl level (even if they never reach that level).

• Like 1

I don’t watch college football outside of the playoffs so who knew, but boy Micah Parsons is the the LB we need. Watching Parson’s bowl game DMVP and then watching Patrick Queen’s NC DMVP performance and I come away seeing one guy playing at a completely different level. It’s easy for me to see Parsons as a future All Pro LB for sure.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t watch college football outside of the playoffs so who knew, but boy Micah Parsons is the the LB we need. Watching Parson’s bowl game DMVP and then watching Patrick Queen’s NC DMVP performance and I come away seeing one guy playing at a completely different level. It’s easy for me to see Parsons as a future All Pro LB for sure.

Pearson’s is gonna be a top 10 pick next year. Dude played at a school right up the road from where I coach at. He was a stud at running back and defensive end, enrolled early at penn state and was their starting inside backer by spring. He’s a stud.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I was at that Cotton Bowl game. Was trying to keep an eye on YGM but couldn’t do anything other than pay attention to number 11 on the PSU defense 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

Pearson’s is gonna be a top 10 pick next year. Dude played at a school right up the road from where I coach at. He was a stud at running back and defensive end, enrolled early at penn state and was their starting inside backer by spring. He’s a stud.

It’s honestly to a point where I want to trade one of our seconds to some scrub team so as to get a top 10 pick to take that guy in 2021. I mean, I know a dominant player when I see him and that guy is a force.

50 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I was at that Cotton Bowl game. Was trying to keep an eye on YGM but couldn’t do anything other than pay attention to number 11 on the PSU defense 

Exactly. Watching Parsons and watching YGM and it makes me feel like taking YGM would feel like buyers remorse In comparison.

9 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Kind of what we were discussing yesterday

Edit: Coordinator beat me by a fraction of a second

Yup, that's fine to cover their need at guard. Still need to get another guy to play tackle.

Seems like DeCosta is dropping some big hints about their focus in the draft... not sure if I trust it or not. xD

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Mike Campanero is back on the menu boys 

15 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

would be the most Raven-ish thing to pick a WR round 5 or later in a historical class. wow.

To be fair it’s possible that the WRs go later in the draft than we expect due to how deep the class truly is. So maybe a WR such as Lynn Bowden Jr or Bryan Edwards (due to injury) is actually more of 5th round guys than 3rd/4th round guys for those reasons. Devin Duvernay also seems to be a possible option that could fall to the 5th naturally and he’s got legit slot ability.

24 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

To be fair it’s possible that the WRs go later in the draft than we expect due to how deep the class truly is. So maybe a WR such as Lynn Bowden Jr or Bryan Edwards (due to injury) is actually more of 5th round guys than 3rd/4th round guys for those reasons. Devin Duvernay also seems to be a possible option that could fall to the 5th naturally and he’s got legit slot ability.

Definitely a possibility but honestly like if we came out of this draft with just Devin Duvernay at WR, I would be extremely underwhelmed. 

The way I see it, given we're a team that rarely has a high draft pick, the opportunity with a deep draft is to get a caliber of talent that is usually closed off from us. There might be a Justin Jefferson type available at 28 who would might have gone Top 15 in many other draft classes, or someone from the Aiyuk/Hamler/Mims/Higgins next tier that will be there in the 2nd round for us who would normally be 1st round locks in weaker drafts. That's a unique opportunity that means a whole lot for a young offense in need of weapons. Sure Duvernay or Tyler Johnson or whoever could develop into a good player but we are simply not the organization to depend on hitting on those flyers to make our WR group work. 

Seems like every year the team tells themselves it can wait on WR and then bring in talent in the 5th/6th round only to produce an endless supply of Tommy Streeters, Jaleel Scott's, Mike Campanero's, Jordyn Lasley's, Aaron Mellette's, and David Reed's. I know EDC isn't Ozzie but this is one of those things where I'm going to side with history until he gives me a reason not to. When we draft linebackers or linemen in the 5th or 6th round, I know not to write them off because we've shown we can develop those guys into starters. When we draft WR's in the 5th or 6th round I already know that we're just signing up for 2-3 years of said wideout being a training camp and preseason hypebeast who ends his Ravens career with 7 catches for 56 yards before being cut because he didn't run out a punt coverage hard enough. 

• Like 4