2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

45 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just got to looking at Marlon Davidson and just off of his size to athleticism, I can’t seem him not blowing up the combine. He looks like a bigger, faster version of Pernell McPhee. More of a 4i and 5 tech option then a true IDL option. I think he’s got 4.89 speed at probably 295 lbs, that’ll display probably boosts his draft ranking some.

Yup. I look at him like a longer, more explosive, Courtney Upshaw. 

It would be awesome to bring him in while we have Pernell McPhee in house, and maybe Clowney :ph34r:. Show him how to be a dog out there. When our forum draft games roll around, everyone should tab Davidson as one of their prospects. He's the Ravens' 'type' 100%.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Danand said:

I saw 20 minutes of Tyler Biadasz clips. It is 20 minutes of him getting push in the running game by blocking defenders down field or walling them off and he is rarely beat in pass pro.

Why are people suddenly all down on him?

I don't know... Maybe we should stop talking about him, though, before others get wise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danand said:

I saw 20 minutes of Tyler Biadasz clips. It is 20 minutes of him getting push in the running game by blocking defenders down field or walling them off and he is rarely beat in pass pro.

Why are people suddenly all down on him?

Oh absolutely. I’ve never left his bandwagon.

Have to think the simplest explanation is the evaluators have begun to overthink it and nitpick Biadasz to an unfair degree.

He’s the best center prospect I’ve seen considering Nick Mangold’s Draft was the first one where I paid some attention, but I wasn’t really scouting players so much as reading scouting reports, so I can’t include him definitively.

Trajan Bandy is a CB I think we should consider adding to our roster. Physical but a bit short. Great to mirror wide receivers but will most likely lose some down the field matchups with bigger and faster wide receivers. Shows great awareness in zone so I think he is an obvious slot guy who can play some safety as well.

So I’m just asking, what is everyone else’s thoughts with regard to Zack Baun?

He’s becoming my Jeffery Simmons for this year. He’s my defensive player that is “my guy” for this season.

I mean, he’s older but man he’s just so explosive, smart, instinctual, and ferocious. He’s a great leader to boot, so no character concerns to speak of such as with Simmons. I see no holes in his game. He’s not an elite run stuffer, but he makes an impact against the run. He’s not particularly strong at the POA and can stand to gain another 10 lbs of muscle, but he’s not being demolished. He looks like he’ll be about as good as Judon was in his last couple seasons here.

He’s got the coverage skills to be used as a drop LB but also is a top pass rushing option like your Von Miller, Clay Matthews (younger version), and TJ Watt’s of the world.

I see an eventual 13-15 sack type player when he’s in the prime of his career while being an above average run stopper.

Am I getting too hyped over this guy? Or is anyone else seeing what I’m seeing? If not, do you believe I’m not fully acknowledging his flaws?

What does everyone else think with regard to him and his fit within our scheme/defense?

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, diamondbull424 said:

So I’m just asking, what is everyone else’s thoughts with regard to Zack Baun?

He’s becoming my Jeffery Simmons for this year. He’s my defensive player that is “my guy” for this season.

I mean, he’s older but man he’s just so explosive, smart, instinctual, and ferocious. He’s a great leader to boot, so no character concerns to speak of such as with Simmons. I see no holes in his game. He’s not an elite run stuffer, but he makes an impact against the run. He’s not particularly strong at the POA and can stand to gain another 10 lbs of muscle, but he’s not being demolished. He looks like he’ll be about as good as Judon was in his last couple seasons here.

He’s got the coverage skills to be used as a drop LB but also is a top pass rushing option like your Von Miller, Clay Matthews (younger version), and TJ Watt’s of the world.

I see an eventual 13-15 sack type player when he’s in the prime of his career while being an above average run stopper.

Am I getting too hyped over this guy? Or is anyone else seeing what I’m seeing? If not, do you believe I’m not fully acknowledging his flaws?

What does everyone else think with regard to him and his fit within our scheme/defense?

Like him and think he would be a great fit for the defense, if we also shore up the DE spot. I don't think he's comparable to TJ Watt physically, who I thought was a top 5-10 talent. Baun is a little undersized and I'd worry about him setting the edge against NFL tackles. If we make a move for a 3-4 DE in free agency and pair with him, it'd make a lot of sense. If we could trade back a couple spots and take him, I'd be happy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Like him and think he would be a great fit for the defense, if we also shore up the DE spot. I don't think he's comparable to TJ Watt physically, who I thought was a top 5-10 talent. Baun is a little undersized and I'd worry about him setting the edge against NFL tackles. If we make a move for a 3-4 DE in free agency and pair with him, it'd make a lot of sense. If we could trade back a couple spots and take him, I'd be happy. 

I think no question we need to shore up both spots.

My comparisons with him to TJ Watt are from a technique standpoint, he’s so multiple in his pass rush move set. Also from an overall movement standpoint. I would also compare him to Von Miller and Clay Matthews in those aspects. Miller was probably the most freaky of that skillset and Watt the strongest.

So while Zack Baun is not as strong as TJ Watt was coming out, I believe he will challenge the other aspects of the above players’ athletic profiles.

I think he puts up a sub 7.00s 3-cone, gets close to a sub 4 short shuttle, around 20 reps on the bench, and runs a sub 4.7 forty. Though it wouldn’t completely shock me if Baun runs a sub 4.6 forty. If he does we might have to trade up for him rather than trading down for him.

But yeah, I’m hoping we answer the defensive interior spot with a hungry veteran. Calais Campbell is most ideal, but with no guarantee that he gets released, Gerald McCoy, and then Marcell Dareus would hopefully be on our radar as backup candidates (assuming Dareus can be had for less money than Michael Pierce). With either route, we would still need to add depth in the draft. Obviously I’m in the Justin Madubuike club on that front if he falls to our second. Think he’s also worth trading up for.

Always sucks when injuries happen to these guys during the 'process'. We'll see how much it affects his stock. Edwards was a guy that needed a strong combine to solidify himself against the possibly flashier athletes. He's a great prospect though, and hopefully this just helps him fall to a later pick of ours.

26 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If we draft Cesar Ruiz in the 1st, will anyone be crazy mad?

Haven't watched him yet, but a great interior oline prospect early? I am all for it. 

With regard to Bryan Edwards, if he falls, we should jump on him like crazy. I "think" he "just gets it" although that is as vague a term as can be, but his production and ability to go get the football and find creases in coverage is just natural. The upside might not be the biggest, but it wouldn't surprise me he could come in and take the Seth Roberts role without our offense missing a beat.

Julian Okwara is not my favorite. I have seen too much of him where he just can't get anything done. He seems like a guy the Falcons would draft and then just fall off the map.

I listened to the Ravens podcast yesterday, and although especially the Mink guy is annoying, they had Joe Hortiz commenting on draft types and he mentioned we typically go for bigger edge rushers. That would be Epenesa, YGM, Weaver, Greenard, Taylor, Zuniga, Khareem among others. 

• Like 1

Do not see Terrell Lewis being a Raven at all. This org frequently talks about doubles in the 1st (especially picking later) and Lewis would be an almost reckless home run swing. They draft production at pass rush. Lewis injury history is a concern. His severely undeveloped technique is a concern. His effectiveness setting the edge is a concern. His motor to finish the play is at times a concern. I get that it's in his range of possible progressions to be a superstar pass rusher, but I also see a lot of futures with him being a big disappointment. Lewis needs to go to a bad team with too many draft picks that can take a swing and not have his failure to be be a good starter in the next 2 years be a sore spot for a contender.

• Like 1