2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

47 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

They draft production at pass rush.

The last 4 drafts('19,'18,'17,'16) we've only selected EDGE players with 20 or more Sacks. Ferg- 45, Sieler- 33, Bowser- 22.5, Williams- 20, Correa -20, Kaufusi- 25.5, Judon- 34.

And of the 13 total EDGE players we've drafted in the last 10 years, only 3 had less than 16 Sacks. ('15)ZDS- 11.5, ('11)McPhee*- 7, ('09)Kruger- 10.5. 

*McPhee was a hybrid player, not a pure EDGE- so naturally his production would be lower.

I don't think we have concrete thresholds or anything, but if you produce- you're likely going to climb our draft boards. 

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Haven't watched him yet, but a great interior oline prospect early? I am all for it. 

The prospect of possibly securing 3 cornerstone high end options on the OL for Lamar's prime should entice everyone. Ruiz is only 20 years old too, and quickly climbing up boards from what I've seen. We should get a good read on him with Jim Harbaugh having been his college coach. There were rumors we wanted Ragnow in the 1st a couple years back, and while options have emerged since. I don't think Mekari's upside, outweighs the impact of Yanda's coming exit or Skura's injury. We should still be in the market for a high end Center/IOL option. 

• Like 1

Jaylon Johnson is set to have labrum surgery after the combine.

will that drop him? i say take him in the 3rd if he's stiil there and stack him for a year, Ravens are one of the few teams i'd assume a relatively high DB draft pick would not be needed to start year 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102782/article/utah-cb-jaylon-johnson-set-to-have-surgery-after-combine

23 hours ago, DreamKid said:

If we draft Cesar Ruiz in the 1st, will anyone be crazy mad?

On page 1 of this thread. I’ve had him as a 1st round level talent, still believe Biadasz is the superior player, especially from a cerebral standpoint.

So I certainly wouldn’t be pissed. But considering my Zack Baun is my guy, I would certainly be a little disappointed... not in selecting Ruiz but in likely missing out on what I believe Baun will become and how we haven’t been able to draft a true difference maker at edge in quite some time, while we’ve had better luck with our IOL.

• Like 1

Kyle Dugger is really intriguing, but he displayed some processing issues in the Senior Bowl that leave me weary of putting too much on his plate early. Got lost a couple times and seemed responsible for a blown assignment TD.

I love the idea of adding a Derwin James type(physically) player that can float between LB and S, and Dugger's return ability is also great. It'd be a risky pick though. He's going to have a lot of eyes on him at the Combine.

28 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

On page 1 of this thread. I’ve had him as a 1st round level talent, still believe Biadasz is the superior player, especially from a cerebral standpoint.

So I certainly wouldn’t be pissed. But considering my Zack Baun is my guy, I would certainly be a little disappointed... not in selecting Ruiz but in likely missing out on what I believe Baun will become and how we haven’t been able to draft a true difference maker at edge in quite some time, while we’ve had better luck with our IOL.

If Ruiz does really good at the combine, could he jump Biadasz in your rankings? Seems like you had some questions about Cesar's athleticism in your post. Also with how young Cesar is, expect some significant growth in that regard too.

Baun's stock will be interesting. I think he's in direct competition with Uche, in terms of the skill set they provide. DOB will be big for Baun too, we're still waiting on that. I think the FO is going to prioritize going after bigger power rushers, but we'll see. If Judon is gone, then that leaves Bowser as the only true SAM option on the roster. And Wink drops our guys at a decent clip so it's important to have that skill set in house. Making Baun and Uche players to keep an eye on. Free Agency will dictate a lot too.

Some interesting offense/defense combinations emerging-

EDGE Zack Baun and C Tyler Biadasz- Wisconsin

EDGE Josh Uche and C Cesar Ruiz- Michigan

WR KJ Hamler and EDGE Yetur Gross Matos - Penn State

WR Jalen Reagor and DI Ross Blacklock- TCU

WR Denzel Mims and DI James Lynch- Baylor

^^^I think I know which School combo you'd take DB ;).

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think the Ravens are going to be all over YGM too, but it's hard to place his stock atm.

If we decide to go outside of Baun, YGM would be a quality consolation prize. I’ve liked the bit I’ve seen from him. Looks like he’s superior at the POA and has additional potential to unlock as a pass rusher. Definite system fit as well.

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

If Ruiz does really good at the combine, could he jump Biadasz in your rankings? Seems like you had some questions about Cesar's athleticism in your post. Also with how young Cesar is, expect some significant growth in that regard too.

Baun's stock will be interesting. I think he's in direct competition with Uche, in terms of the skill set they provide. DOB will be big for Baun too, we're still waiting on that. I think the FO is going to prioritize going after bigger power rushers, but we'll see. If Judon is gone, then that leaves Bowser as the only true SAM option on the roster. And Wink drops our guys at a decent clip so it's important to have that skill set in house. Making Baun and Uche players to keep an eye on. Free Agency will dictate a lot too.

Some interesting offense/defense combinations emerging-

EDGE Zack Baun and C Tyler Biadasz- Wisconsin

EDGE Josh Uche and C Cesar Ruiz- Michigan

WR KJ Hamler and EDGE Yetur Gross Matos - Penn State

WR Jalen Reagor and DI Ross Blacklock- TCU

WR Denzel Mims and DI James Lynch- Baylor

^^^I think I know which School combo you'd take DB ;).

Absolutely. To come away with Baun and Biadasz would be an absolute steal. I was already picking my favorite before I got to the end of your post.

I have hope that we might be adjusting our pass rushing type some under DeCosta. As we’ve had Kamala Correa and Tyus Bowser in recent history that aren’t necessarily flattening the scale.

That said I do like what I’ve seen from YGM and thus if we don’t go with Baun, he would probably be my next favorite pass rusher/fit for what I believe could instantly help our defense.

I think an important lesson we can take from the 2012 Super Bowl was when we took the Smith bros, while both had varying degrees of pro readiness, both had an elite aspect that made them instantly usable on a team pushing to win in the Flacco window. Jimmy Smith was an elite  press man corner that had holes to his that came from off man and zone exposure. Torrey Smith had elite hamstrings that allowed him to be a top deep threat and DPI master of yards.

Thus whatever top prospects we add I think it’ll be important for these guys to bring top traits to the equation vs being a “master of none” types like Judon and Ferguson. Baun presents top notch explosive tools while YGM has elite length, these are all qualities that could instantly improve our team in a particular capacity.

In terms of Uche, I see definite simularities between Uche and Baun in terms of explosiveness as rushers, but I think Baun is clearly the far superior technician. Which makes me less worried about his age. I think the bigger issue for me is the durability. I think he likely creates more of a splash if he didn’t have the two years impacted in college by a foot injury. That might be a pattern and would be something I’m sure the team would be keen on looking into at the combine medical. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Forgot to address this aspect. So it Ruiz blows up the combine I would still have Biadasz as the top center prospect, he’s just the superior prospect. They’re both awesome. I compare Ruiz more to the Travis Frederick style, I just don’t think he’s as cerebral as Frederick was as prospects (Frederick was older though and like you said Ruiz is younger, but being a truly cerebral center isn’t something that can easily be projected, just like you can’t project a Kyle Boller having cerebral QB tools).

I expect Ruiz to test as a quality athlete, but I think Biadasz, even with the injury he played through this season, is an elite pulling center while also being stout at the POA. Then he’s probably the most cerebral center prospect I’ve seen. He’s the most complete center prospect I’ve ever seen, I can only imagine he’s what Nick Mangold was as a prospect. I honestly don’t understand the hate he’s receiving, I could see if the hate developed after a mediocre combine or perhaps some sort of medical issues that had arisen. From all intents he’s a great character option as well.

Honestly I would find it a steal to acquire Biadasz as a late 1st Round center, if we could legitimately acquire him on day two of the draft, it might be one of the biggest draft steals in Ravens history. Another Mashal Yanda type of situation. I see Biadasz as a Hall of Fame type of IOL, someone that’s a 5x (or more) All Pro type of option. Whereas with Ruiz I view him as a 5x pro bowl, 1-2x all pro type of option, hall of very good type of player.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Honestly I would find it a steal to acquire Biadasz as a late 1st Round center, if we could legitimately acquire him on day two of the draft, it might be one of the biggest draft steals in Ravens history. Another Mashal Yanda type of situation. I see Biadasz as a Hall of Fame type of IOL, someone that’s a 5x (or more) All Pro type of option. Whereas with Ruiz I view him as a 5x pro bowl, 1-2x all pro type of option, hall of very good type of player.

Damn. That's high praise. Can't wait for your reaction if we actually draft him :D

I have to dig in on the olines this weekend. Unfortunately they have changed the times they air the combine so it is during nighttime in Denmark, so I won't be following the combine this year.

Biadasz I am still very high on - he can be a center or a guard depending on what we need. Compared to Ruiz, Biadasz gets much more push. He had some lapses in technique this year, especially where he ends up lunging, which seems like a reason some have pushed him down their boards. When I saw it, some of those lunges happened after an initial push, where the defender got pushed so far back, that there was some more space to cover between Biadasz and the defender and he didn't get his feet under him but it wasn't a lost rep. 

Ruiz seems fluid enough, stout enough and does a great job from what I can see to handle stunts and late blitzes. Keeping your head on a swiwel as an oline is important to me, so obviously both him and Biadasz are intriguing to me. 

Netane Muti and Damien Lewis could be bull in a chinashop guards with some development potential and Cushenberry just a very talented prospect, so they are some of the players I am going to look at. Then there are some Oregon guys and Michigan guys that usually end up being taken in the middle rounds and are pretty solid although not players that elevate the players around them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Damn. That's high praise. Can't wait for your reaction if we actually draft him :D

Yeah... I will definitely be pumped, but I still think my excitement would pale in comparison to when we traded back up for LJ. Think I might’ve lost my marbles. I had him ranked similarly to Derwin James in that class. I’m more confident that Biadasz will pan out than I was with Jackson (because it’s IOL), but you can’t beat the excitement generated by a dominant skill player IMO, unless it’s a sack artist.

But man would I be excited if we could come away with Baun and Biadasz, in fact would be insane if YGM fell to our 1st and then Baun got passed up and fell to our 2nd, and we stole Biadasz in the 3rd. Could then steal a Bryan Edwards or Michael Pittman later in the draft too... would be an embarrassment of riches.