2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

Last year Hjalte Froholdt, OG from Arkansas Razorback and Denmark native entered the draft and got selected by the Patriots.

This year, Steven Nielsen who actually played a bit for my old team, is a draftable prospect. I highly highly doubt he will get selected though, but the hype train in Denmark has officially left the station

https://emueagles.com/sports/football/roster/steven-nielsen/12298

He is the left tackle 

54 minutes ago, Danand said:

This year, Steven Nielsen who actually played a bit for my old team, is a draftable prospect. I highly highly doubt he will get selected though, but the hype train in Denmark has officially left the station

Interesting that he went to Eastern Michigan. Probably got to go up against Maxx Crosby quite a bit in practice the past couple years. 

24 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Interesting that he went to Eastern Michigan. Probably got to go up against Maxx Crosby quite a bit in practice the past couple years. 

Most likely.

Obviously he was a little kid back when we played in the same club (we have local clubs/teams unrelated to school/high school/college) but at that time, nobody thought he was a type that would go on to move to the US and play. He was a bit scared back and not overly physical despite being the biggest kid on the team.

Here's a question for everyone...even though most of us are in the anti-trading Hurst camp...

What if a top ~10/15ish, elite-level prospect falls to JAX at 20 and using Hayden along with our 1st would get us up to that spot?

I'm talking a Javon Kinlaw/Henry Ruggs/A.J. Epenesa/CeeDee Lamb type guy who's a big time player at a position of need.

Would you all pull that trigger?

11 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Here's a question for everyone...even though most of us are in the anti-trading Hurst camp...

What if a top ~10/15ish, elite-level prospect falls to JAX at 20 and using Hayden along with our 1st would get us up to that spot?

I'm talking a Javon Kinlaw/Henry Ruggs/A.J. Epenesa/CeeDee Lamb type guy who's a big time player at a position of need.

Would you all pull that trigger?

I’m in the trade Hurst group just to be clear, but I wouldn’t trade up for any of those names. Largely because I don’t think that there’s much separation between prospect #5- prospect #50, the top guys might be a slight bit better, but Kinlaw has just as many flaws as Justin Madubuike. Henry Ruggs is good, but I don’t see much difference between be and Jalen Raegor besides one playing for Alabama. Jeudy is great, but Aiyuk can do some similar things in space and trades inferior route running for better tackle breaking ability. Epenesa is an interesting case that may or may not be a scheme fit. We might break him by asking him to slim down or bulk up. That and I’m not convinced he’s a far superior prospect (if at all) to YGM and Baun. Lamb is great but someone might find a discounted version with Donovan Peoples-Jones later on in the draft.

IMO I’d rather trade Hurst for a few mid rounders. Especially if we could get a 2nd and 3rd for him. Our #3 TE could net us the best center in this draft and a contributing pass rusher for instance in that scenario.

Edited by diamondbull424

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m in the trade Hurst group just to be clear, but I wouldn’t trade up for any of those names. Largely because I don’t think that there’s much separation between prospect #5- prospect #50

I'm leaning this way too after looking more at the prospects. I threw out the idea earlier of a trade WAY up if we loved Isaiah Simmons or a particular WR, as just an idea, but it doesn't make sense to me know.

Other than Chase Young, the only other guy who I feel is worth multiple top 50 picks is Derrick Brown, who probably SHOULD go top 5, and won't make it even the first pick for Jacksonville. 

• Like 1

Who knows what happens with Judon. If we were to trade him for a 2nd(Even a late one) or something though, that would be massive. We could potentially add a 8-10 year IOL starter, an immediate impact and upside WR, Top 5 DI, or just nab a falling BPA(Which could range from a Jaylon Smith/Myles Jack situation to a Chris Jones "He has great potential, but is still developing"- thus the fall, type of player). It would just be such a power move.

Some of the names that went just in the 60-80 range last year: Nasir Adderley, Taylor Rapp, Andy Isabella, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Devin Singletary, Terry McClaurin, Chase Winovich. 

I don't put much stock on those various measurements coming out these days. Ofc most great NFL players are great athletes, but being an athlete means so very little if you can't use that athleticism. The same with bulking up for the combine/pro day if you can't play in pads at that weight. 

I just hope we are a team that look at the tape and make our decision based on that, interviews and background research. 

We hit on a talent in Orlando Brown that bombed the combine, but had  great tape. We hit on a talent in Lamar because we trusted his character rather than being scared of it like other teams. 

If we add players that want to be great, I believe we raise the floor of our team, and then we might not hit on a potential 10, but we will also be a complete team without holes and a great locker room. 

29 minutes ago, Danand said:

We hit on a talent in Orlando Brown that bombed the combine, but had  great tape. We hit on a talent in Lamar because we trusted his character rather than being scared of it like other teams. 

If we add players that want to be great, I believe we raise the floor of our team, and then we might not hit on a potential 10, but we will also be a complete team without holes and a great locker room. 

I get what you're saying in principle and thankfully our team doesn't solely rely on H/W/S scouting, but those aren't great examples imo.

OBJ while tanking the athletic tests, still boasted 99th percentile measurables. If he wasn't so big and long he wouldn't survive or thrive in the NFL. And Lamar Jackson is arguably the best athlete at his position- ever.

It's smart to gamble on elite athleticism &/or measurables, if the tape supports it- bottom line. The tape didn't support a guy like Rashan Gary.

The best players on this team are all either above average to elite athletes or have rare physical traits. Lamar, Stanley, Ricard, OBJ, Yanda, Hollywood, Hurst, Andrews, Edwards, Williams, Pierce, Clark, Humphrey, Thomas, Peters, Judon, Bowser. All of them.

Then you have guys like Nick Boyle and Tavon Young who aren't great overall athletes, but possess high end agility for their position. Boyle 77th percentile agility score and Young 92nd percentile agility score . So again traits to work with and build off of.

Ingram had bad athletic testing, but the NFL's utilized tests don't account for balance- which is his best trait. Same deal for Patrick Mekari. Which is why you'll see positions like OL and HB buck trends, balance is key for both positions.

McPhee and Snead are probably the best examples of guys with no defining traits that are able to still contribute. Though if McPhee didn't have 83rd percentile arms, his ability to stack and disengage against the run would be much more limited. They're also both largely just role players. Unable to provide layered impact because of their athletic shortcomings Snead(Speed/Explosion) and McPhee(Bend).

The Ravens are such a great drafting franchise because for so long our scouts have pursued valuable measured athletic and physical traits, while also still highly valuing the immeasurable traits that allow a player to be able to contribute to and impact the game. We just go about things the right way more often than not. And when we do miss, we tend to learn from our mistakes. 

• Like 1

I saw that comp picks should already have been announced. Don't know what the delay is.

With regard to your other post, it will always be hindsight and nitpicking in my opinion. If a talent is an overall bad athlete with bad size, it will take a hell of a lot of technique, play recognition, leadership and toughness to overcome the lack of physical tools.

Putting the weight on combine numbers and focusing on the things players doesn't do well that some teams do, while not recognizing how those players did in college, that is what happens with an Orlando Brown. If was clear that he won due to size as you mention, but everyone, Ravens included, put too much stock into his athletic testing. 

That is why I think Orlando Brown is a great example of people overestimating the combine.

Runningbacks are an odd position due to it being a more rotational position, but if you have one elite trait like Devin Singletary, all the other stuff where he tested bad doesn't matter as much. Obviously he isn't a talent or player that warrant 1. round consideration and he got drafted accordingly. A player like Elijah Holyfield lack the elite trait in any area and went from a great prospect in college to a practice squad guy - if he had succeeded, then it would be a surprise.

I might have misunderstood your point, but to me, it would not be a problem if Jerry Jeudy ran a 4.60 forty time og Tyler Biadasz having a bad bench press drill (he is injured so he wont do that) or runs bad.