2019 CFB/2020 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

2 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Didn't Timmy Jernigan have a diluted sample back in 2014?

Delpit in the 1st round and Baun in the 2nd would be interesting.

Would be more then interesting. Would be an absolute steal. Having our first two players in the draft end with those names would make me elated.

• Like 1

As Bill Simmons said in a podcast on Sunday, it takes a special kind of person to screw up a 10 minute interview, and given the Ravens generally place a higher importance on character than a lot of teams (hence their 'red star' system), it wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens weren't really looking at him

13 hours ago, CoverZero said:

Worth noting I think that Steve Palazzolo from PFF said a couple of days a go that a NFL source told him that Zach Baun did not interview well. So maybe this news on top of that sees him move out of the first round at least?

9 hours ago, drd23 said:

As Bill Simmons said in a podcast on Sunday, it takes a special kind of person to screw up a 10 minute interview, and given the Ravens generally place a higher importance on character than a lot of teams (hence their 'red star' system), it wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens weren't really looking at him

Again, could care less about what some “sources” present about Zack Baun and his interview skills to certain teams. This is roughly 10 minutes of interviews at the Senior Bowl and post coronavirus pandemic social distancing at home.

I see nothing in either interview here that would turn me away and I know some teams ask a lot of dumb questions when it comes to these interviews to throw guys off or some other nonsense.

I’m sure the Ravens and DeCosta still have a quality relationship with Jim Leonhard and he will tell them all they need to know about Baun. They run a very intelligent, flexible, and diverse 34 scheme similar to what Wink trots out. If Baun is available this is the least of my concerns and a non-issue. I’m more concerned about him being an older producer vs younger producer than anything else. Beyond that everything else is charged to the game... tape, game tape that is.

17 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It can be a sign someone's trying to flush their system with abnormal water intake, just to have an inconclusive test result. 

There is many documented cases where its been a total accident and someone legitimately just drank a lot of water. 

I get that. Wasn't sure, though, if overhydration affected PED testing or if it was just an issue for other drugs.

We've talked a lot about Hamler but the other guy I"m starting to think might be in our sights at 55 or thereabouts is Shenault. I honestly don't really know how I feel about him overall - I can be convinced he's either a twitchier Anquan Boldin or Cordarelle Patterson w/o the speed - but the upside is tremendous and the versatility is something that I think would be super appealing to us. Really like also that much like Jefferson his production came from a pretty diverse route tree. 

Certainly a low floor/high ceiling kind of pick and not I think a guy you'd feel comfortable banking your draft on in the 1st round particularly with his medical red flags but I think that's the sort of talent worth taking a swing at with one of our 2nd's (or even early 3rd), particularly if we then pair that with a later-round WR like KJ Hill, Tyler Johnson, or Van Jefferson who gives us sort of the inverse. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

What's everyone's take on Chase Claypool and Van Jefferson? I want both of 'em in a Ravens uniform.

Don’t like Van Jefferson he’s 24 before the season starts. His breakout age was 22 years old... all that and his dad is a college football coach so it’s not as if I believe he’s some late bloomer. Want none of him.

Chase Claypool is built like Calvin Johnson... but he can’t catch. Huge hands and all but he double catches everything his way. At the NFL level too many of those borderline plays he makes in college get picked off or broken up. Prefer Boykin to him in terms of on the field play and ability.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

The closer we get to the draft the more interested in Mims I become. He’s kind of a poor man’s Jerry Jeudy. He’s not nearly the same route technician but he makes up for that with his physical brand of separation. He would compliment Hollywood very well. What’s more if he works on his suddenness in and out of his breaks so that he doesn’t need to push off quite as often, he has the potential to become an elite NFL receiver. I see a nice floor with him as well as a nice ceiling.

13 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We've talked a lot about Hamler but the other guy I"m starting to think might be in our sights at 55 or thereabouts is Shenault. I honestly don't really know how I feel about him overall - I can be convinced he's either a twitchier Anquan Boldin or Cordarelle Patterson w/o the speed - but the upside is tremendous and the versatility is something that I think would be super appealing to us. Really like also that much like Jefferson his production came from a pretty diverse route tree. 

Certainly a low floor/high ceiling kind of pick and not I think a guy you'd feel comfortable banking your draft on in the 1st round particularly with his medical red flags but I think that's the sort of talent worth taking a swing at with one of our 2nd's (or even early 3rd), particularly if we then pair that with a later-round WR like KJ Hill, Tyler Johnson, or Van Jefferson who gives us sort of the inverse. 

I would take Pittman over both Hamler and Shenault!! 

I think I would be happy with just about any of the wide receivers that should be available at pick 55 or 60 and are in that top 11-ish group. To me it's hard seeing that position being the pick in the first round, and that's just fine with this class.

Still don't particulalrly care about the "type" of receiver that player is, all that matters is effectiveness. Lamar can make use of any type of weapon. Speed, like Hamler or Reagor? Sure, that makes Hollywood even more dangerous with defenses having to account for another prominent deep/quick threat on the field. Size, like Higgins or Pittman? Those types of guys are always useful on the outside. YAC threats, like Aiyuk and Shenault? Great. Someone that can turn an easy catch into something spectacular has been missing for a while. I mean Brown can do that, but more play-makers are absolutely necessary for the offense to evolve even further. 

Just get somebody effective. I'm not that down on Boykin like it seems like a lot are, he was always someone that was going to need some development, but getting a quality third receiver option is imperative. That makes more room for Brown to be good, more room for Andrews to be good, and just makes life easier on Jackson. I'm really hoping the Ravens don't pass this opportunity up and settle for a receiver in the 5th round. This class is good but it's not like guys lasting that late would be first/second round prospects other years. More like fourth, maybe late third. Impressive depth but not mind-blowing by that stage.

Some combination of OL, EDGE, and WR with the first three picks is how I'm hoping the board falls. 

• Like 2

I definitely agree with everything you're saying @coordinator0 but my main fear is that on the day there will be a big run on WRs at the top of the 2nd and by the time we get to pick 55 we'll be stuck with the 3rd tier WRs like Edwards, Jefferson, Johnson, KJ. Hill, Bowden, Duvernay, Claypool. 

While I am really keen on Tyler Johnson from that group I don't think he warrants a top 60 pick. 

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the team traded 55 and another pick to move up in the 2nd to make sure we don't find ourselves in that situation.

9 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

What's everyone's take on Chase Claypool and Van Jefferson? I want both of 'em in a Ravens uniform.

Chase Claypool was not considered much before he had a good combine. I don't see his combine numbers on tape, so I am not really interested in him. Van Jefferson due to lack of elite traits outside of route running is a 4-5 round pick to me, but if we could get him there, I would be happy about it. I don't put as much emphasis on age as others. Jefferson is not supposed to be a primary receiver, which means he can work as an outlet and conversion guy and I think he would be a Hunter Renfrow type of player. Drafted in the right spot, he would be good value.

• Like 2

This is an interesting list because with the exception of Pittman, if you were to draw a line underneath Bowden and above Mims, that’s pretty much the cutoff where i’d be happy vs disappointed in terms of coming away with the quality of receiver in this draft...anything Bowden and above i’d feel confident we got someone who’s going to help this team. Mims and below and i’d still remain skeptical with a few exceptions like Pittman and Edwards

Edited by Ray Reed