Why didn't the 1994 Buffalo Bills get to go to their fifth Super Bowl appearance?

Championshiporbust

3 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

I guess that’s YOUR opinion. 

NOBODY has been able to beat the Pats by  30+ in the playoffs since Super Bowl XX. The Patriots are very competitive in almost ALL their playoff games. 

It's ghoulish overkill on my part, sure. But on that day, in that SB - Steve Young was on another level. That was a very good San Diego team, and he leveled it into the ground as if he was in pre game warmups.

I don't think any Pats team could have beat that team. Score might be off on my part.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

It's ghoulish overkill on my part, sure. But on that day, in that SB - Steve Young was on another level. That was a very good San Diego team, and he leveled it into the ground as if he was in pre game warmups.

I don't think any Pats team could have beat that team. Score might be off on my part.

Fair enough. 

I can give you that. They were in another world that day. No doubt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm trying to think of where BB would have even started coming up with his defensive gameplan...pick your poison:

*Great running game with fringe Hall of Almost HOF if not his "FOR WHAT??? FOR WHO!!!!" comment Ricky Waters

*Elite passing game with HOF QB to GOAT WR and Pro Bowl TE

...then, the defensive secondary was basically the Seattle level secondary with 2 Pro Bowl safeties and the GOAT shutdown corner on the outside. 

They had a capable DL (Stubblefield Pro Bowl DT) with a grizzled veteran group of LBs to boot.

I'd assume that NE tries to establish the run, milk the clock, limit SF possessions, and Steve young probably only throws 4 TD passes instead of 6 while Ricky Waters probably rushes for another somewhere OR SF has to settle for 2-3 FG.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say this though, and maybe this is my Lake Erie connection to my Buffalo cursed brethren, but when that 30 for 30 "The Four Falls of Buffalo (SUCH A GOOD ONE)" had the alternate ending with Norwood hitting that FG against the Giants, and the beloved long time late great Van Miller calling that alternate fairy tale ending...that had me a little choked up.

I didn't grow up in the 90s but that 30for30 was great and def in my top 10 for 30for30, maybe top 5. You grew up in the 90s so what were the media saying when the Bills went to their 3rd SB pre game and then post game after they lost, same question for their 4th SB if you don't mind me asking

12 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

You grew up in the 90s so what were the media saying when the Bills went to their 3rd SB pre game and then post game after they lost, same question for their 4th SB if you don't mind me asking

I think that it boiled down to:

1. They were favored against the NYG and lost a heartbreaker. Some young and brilliant DC named Bill Belichick came up with a masterful gameplan on a 2 front/UFO defense and offensively the Giants held the ball/kept it away from the Bills

2. They lost to a good Redskins team that was just a bad mismatch form them on paper. A dominating OL/running game against a small/undersized defensive front built on rushing the passer

3. They lost to Dallas/got blown out, people at this point AFTER the game were like "Seriously?". However, you have to keep in mind Jim Kelly was hurt, Frank Reich had just led them to the biggest come from behind win in playoff history, and no one expected them to get back.

4. The fourth time around, everyone was fatigued by them being there. They were even ahead at halftime and people were like "They're going to get killed" and they did.

They basically were wrong place/wrong time and ran into 3 teams that all won multiple Super Bowls within a decade (Giants x2, Cowboys and Redskins x3 both dynasties)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that it boiled down to:

1. They were favored against the NYG and lost a heartbreaker. Some young and brilliant DC named Bill Belichick came up with a masterful gameplan on a 2 front/UFO defense and offensively the Giants held the ball/kept it away from the Bills

2. They lost to a good Redskins team that was just a bad mismatch form them on paper. A dominating OL/running game against a small/undersized defensive front built on rushing the passer

3. They lost to Dallas/got blown out, people at this point AFTER the game were like "Seriously?". However, you have to keep in mind Jim Kelly was hurt, Frank Reich had just led them to the biggest come from behind win in playoff history, and no one expected them to get back.

4. The fourth time around, everyone was fatigued by them being there. They were even ahead at halftime and people were like "They're going to get killed" and they did.

They basically were wrong place/wrong time and ran into 3 teams that all won multiple Super Bowls within a decade (Giants x2, Cowboys and Redskins x3 both dynasties)

You think in their 2nd to 4th SBs, the other AFC contenders like the Chiefs, Oilers and don't remember who were the other contenders, would of given better SB Matchups to Redskins or Cowboys, or were they too dominant to be stopped, regardless of their opponent. 

17 hours ago, Activated10 said:

You think in their 2nd to 4th SBs, the other AFC contenders like the Chiefs, Oilers and don't remember who were the other contenders, would of given better SB Matchups to Redskins or Cowboys, or were they too dominant to be stopped, regardless of their opponent. 

Honestly, the sad thing is, that Bills roster was loaded with talent. At some point in that four year stretch, you had:

QB: Jim Kelly (HOF)...this guy was better than Troy Aikman, but he doesn't have the rings

RB: Thurman Thomas (HOF): He was a dynamic rushing AND receiving weapon

WR: Andre Reed: HOF

WR: James Lofton (Pro Bowl)

FOUR Pro Bowl OL in Wolford (LT), Ballard (RT), Kent Hull (C) and Ritcher (LG)

DE: Bruce Smith (HOF), one of the GOAT rush guys

Cornelius Bennett (OLB)

Darryl Talley (OLB)

Nate Odomes (CB)

Henry Jones (S)

This doesn't even mention GREAT role players like Don Beebe (slot).

TBH, the Oilers defense was lousy, and the 1993 Chiefs were beaten by the Bills in the AFC Title game (they did have Montana and Marcus Allen). To be honest, aside from the Chiefs in 1993, I think that the Bills were clearly the best all around team in the AFC, but those NFC teams went through a FIFTEEN YEAR period of absolute dominance (1985-1997 the Super Bowl was won by an NFC team, 13 consecutive years, and 15 of 16 overall with the exception being the Los Angeles Raiders in the early 80s).

Like I said, wrong place/wrong time. IMO they win AT LEAST 1 if they play/come around at a different time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TBH, the Oilers defense was lousy, and the 1993 Chiefs were beaten by the Bills in the AFC Title game (they did have Montana and Marcus Allen). To be honest, aside from the Chiefs in 1993, I think that the Bills were clearly the best all around team in the AFC, but those NFC teams went through a FIFTEEN YEAR period of absolute dominance (1985-1997 the Super Bowl was won by an NFC team, 13 consecutive years, and 15 of 16 overall with the exception being the Los Angeles Raiders in the early 80s).

That 1993 Oilers team had a fantastic defense - coached by Buddy Ryan, who was actively trying to lead a mutiny against Jack Pardee and Kevin Gilbride that season. That Oilers team had loads of talent on both sides of the ball, but they were too busy fighting one another to get some positive traction going (and still won 11 games in a row, en route to a 12-4 season after a 1-4 start). The boiling point was week 17, when Ryan punched Gilbride on the sideline after the Oilers threw an INT - from that moment forward, the team was off the rails.

If that team could have gotten its act together in the locker, it could have went far. Instead, it blew a lead against Montana and the KC Chiefs at home, and was sent home early for a 3rd year in a row.

After that, Bud Adams blew up the team, Ryan took the HC gig in Arizona, Warren Moon was traded to Minnesota and the 1994 season was a 2-14 disaster. That season opened the door for Ryan to complain about the Astrodome and position his move to Nashville...

• Like 1

Bickering Bills, messed-up team unity as they loved to point fingers instead of handling things internally. Thurman Thomas couldn't find his helmet...in the Super Bowl! And that K-gun no-huddle offense that used hardly any clock, so the Bills' kinda undersized defense would wear down from constantly being on the field.

They sure had Miami's number tho, Levy owned Shula so many times. Even when the Fins hosted the AFC Championship at home, still got smoked (I lost $20 on that game, grrrrr). That one play where Miami's o-line forgot to block Bruce Smith and he wasn't even touched which caused a Marino fumble is burned into my brain. How do you forget to block Bruce Smith?!? 

All four of those Super Bowls, the other team had more time of possession. The Giants had had the ball 40:33 minutes of the game, Bills had the ball 19:27 minutes. And not many people gave the Giants a chance in that game, Bills had just won the AFC title game 51-3 vs the Raiders. 

But don't forget, the Bills had the 7-9 year but bounced back in '95 and got another playoff win (over Miami of course). They had some life after the four SB losses. It all ended in '96 playoffs with the Bills losing to the expansion Jaguars who went into Buffalo on a cold day and shocked the old-man Bills. Jim Kelly retired not long after that. Coincidentally, a few years later, Jaguars put the worst beating on the Dolphins ever which caused Marino to retire. Kelly and Marino, done in by the Jags. 

On 5/20/2019 at 1:13 AM, ET80 said:

Steve Young wasn't losing that day. Tom Brady and the Patriots lose to prime Young, Rice, Haley, Deion, Ricky Watters... they lose by 30+.

The 49ers might have beaten them, but by 30+?  Come on man.

Edited by Uncle Buck

On 20.5.2019 at 3:25 PM, ET80 said:

For revenge on his 1994 Chargers, Rodney Harrison would have probably knocked out Young.