OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’d rather see him taking snaps at C with Powers, Hurst, and Bozeman taking the LG snaps in the competition, with the hope that Powers beats out the others with great play.

Yeah I'm with you. It really seems like Skura's got a stranglehold on the position though. If he's improved then that's great but I have my doubts.

Edited by BareYourTeeth

17 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Yeah I'm with you. It really seems like Skura's got a stranglehold on the position though. If he's improved then that's great but I have my doubts.

Yup, we’ll see. Perhaps I should give his errant snaps the benefit of the doubt as he was adjusting to a new offense mid season as well. I can’t recall how he looked snapping for Flacco. Perhaps that RPO installation messed up his timing.

Thats the only logical explanation I can think of for why the coaches are allowing him to skate by without competition. Heck the RT position seemed like more of a competition to this point than the C position.

3 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

If he's improved then that's great but I have my doubts.

Everything I've read and seen indicates he's better- but still not good enough. Which is pretty much what we expected. Relatively young player with room for improvement, but just not a lot of pure upside or natural ability to dig progression out of.

I think Hurst ends up starting the season at LG. Center will be dealt with early in the coming draft. And in 2020 we'll see a replay competition for the LG spot, unless Hurst is beaten out by mid year and someone becomes the presumptive starter. Powers or Mekari could be the long term option for when Yanda decides to walk away too. 

Hopefully we see Eluemanor kicked over to Right Tackle against the Packers. Maybe him coming into camp fat made the team double down on trying him at Guard, but his only future with us is at Tackle. Let's continue to see what Senat is made of at LT with the 2nd Team OL, and just let Jermaine bookend him. I think Eluemanor played RT in college IIRC. Powers-Bozeman-Mekari is the 2nd Team interior trio I want to roll with going forward.

1st Team: LT: Stanley LG: Hurst C: Skura RG: Yanda RT: Brown

2nd Team: LT: Senat LG: Powers C: Bozeman RG: Mekari RT: Eluemanor

If they want to kick Hurst over to RT initially, so Powers and Mekari can get time with the 1s- I'd be fine with that too(Prefer it even). 

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Heck the RT position seemed like more of a competition to this point than the C position.

Harbaugh said he knows who Hurst is as a guard, so he wants to see what the other guys are made of at the spot. He did the same thing last year for Orlando too, just at Tackle. Brown got to run with the 1s at RT all preseason, but didn't roll out as a starter until like Week 7. I think we see the same thing this year. Someone will emerge at LG during preseason(Powers or Mekari), but in the end Hurst will get the start against the Dolphins. Then we can see how long he will last as a starter lol. I don't know if his pulling ability is going to be enough this time around.

Chris Jones Week 3 might force one of the young guys in there :S.

You know what we haven't seen all camp?

Those big fluff articles where Judon is gushed about and praised for dominating in what will be the biggest year of his career. 

In fact, you barely hear his name at all. I've read about Ronnie Stanley handling him. I've listened to Wink describe Judon as "Needing to get his camp legs under him". And now we're seeing him miss practices. 

Judon is a solid player, but he escapes criticism at the most impressive rate on this team.

• Like 1

Anybody hear about these rumors of the Ravens and Texans talking about a Jimmy/Clowney swap? If this does happen, what would be y'all thoughts on it? I LOVE Jimmy and would want him to stay, but I don't think I'd be super mad only because we need a pass rush and haven't had one in a long time.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

The thing is, Judon is exactly solid but that seems to be his ceiling. If he didn't have 3 sacks against a beat Raiders team last year, his production would be decent, but not good and far from great. 

Those 3 Sacks came against Brandon Parker too. Who I believe was one of the worst Tackles in the entire league for 2018. A totally unready small school Rookie thrust into starting time.

I'm not exactly upset with Judon either, as you said he is who is at this point. I'm not expecting him to take some giant leap. My issue is with the media, who has been pretty harsh(less so as of this week) on a guy like Jaylon Ferguson- a Rookie. Yet just gives a free pass to Judon, a player who is looking for a contract bigger than any other player's currently on the team.

12 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Anybody hear about these rumors of the Ravens and Texans talking about a Jimmy/Clowney swap? If this does happen, what would be y'all thoughts on it? I LOVE Jimmy and would want him to stay, but I don't think I'd be super mad only because we need a pass rush and haven't had one in a long time.

I think it has little to no merit but I don't hate it.