OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

14 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, he's been an afterthought largely, unfairly so I would say.  I see a lot of comments, particular on Reddit about how he couldn't get on the field.  He was an IR stash due to roster constraints, which I think is indicative of the team not wanting to lose him.  Not saying he's any great shakes, but it seems premature to write him off completely at this point.

Lasley was a healthy scratch all season.  Jaleel Scott was the IR stash

18 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Honestly, most of our WRs have looked good in shorts these past couple offseasons. Remember last year when surface level fans were freaking out because of all the videos of Marlon getting beat? lol.  Or as you mention, the year before when Perriman was dominating with deep bomb after deep bomb.

I'm always a bit entertained by strong reactions to inter-squad (or is it intra-squad?) scrimmages.  If the O is doing well, should I freak out about the D?  Conversely, if the D looks good, should I lose it over the O?

OTA Notes-

• Quarterback Lamar Jackson threw passes with impressive velocity throughout Thursday’s practice, but his accuracy fluctuated. In one sequence, Jackson fired a gorgeous deep ball down the left sideline to wide receiver Jaleel Scott and then sent his next pass wobbling way wide of Seth Roberts on a basic out route. He did finish on a strong note, whipping a 3-yard touchdown pass to running back Gus Edwards in a crunch-time drill.

• Antoine Wesley, a 6-foot-4 undrafted receiver out of Texas Tech, stood out from the pack of young wideouts Thursday. He made a one-handed catch in individual drills and burned past the second-team secondary at one point to haul in a long touchdown pass from Robert Griffin III.

•  Rookie wide receivers Marquise Brown (foot) and Miles Boykin (hamstring) came out to watch practice, though injuries kept them sidelines. Slot receiver Willie Snead trotted off the field about an hour into practice.

• Outside linebacker Tyus Bowser was active off the edge, tipping one pass and nearly intercepting it, and looking good in coverage.

• Inside linebacker Patrick Onwuasor relayed play calls Thursday and shouted out directions for the defensive line. After C.J. Mosley left in free agency, the typically soft spoken Onwuasor said he expects to shoulder a heavier loud in terms of communication, and he looked at ease doing so Thursday.

• Second-year defensive end Zach Sieler stood out on several occasions, including keeping Jackson contained on a rollout and batting down another pass. 

• Cornerback Marlon Humphrey had a very nice interception, leaping to make a nice play on the ball along the sideline. He picked off the pass by Robert Griffin III, then launched the ball in celebration.

• A returning receiver stole the show Thursday with Chris Moore making several impressive leaping catches during the third Organized Team Activity (OTA) practice. He’s fast, extremely smooth and has great hands.

Nothing too surprising. Peanut & Chris Moore stepping into their bigger roles. Zach Sieler emerging. Love all of that. Zach looks even bigger than he did last year, which is scary. And he's showing out on the field once again. He and Bilal Nichols were the NFL's two top Rookie DIs of the preseason last year, can't wait to see how he dominates this year. My high end projection for him remains Richard Seymour.

I had Antoine Wesley graded as a 3rd-4th Round receiver. Super happy we got him. His receiving skills are being celebrated, but he's also a true force as a blocker on the perimeter. Great fit for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I can't wait to see/read all the takes about how Lamar is a bad QB because the OC didn't tell him that he was "completely" changing the offense

Might be a welcomed change from all of the "hE CaNt EVen ThRouw Ah sPiiRal" flooding that's going on.

I don't think it is a common thing to let players know in the off season what the team is doing. The players know once the new playbook is done and the coaches have talked it through.

Lamar has most likely been told to go work on his mechanics and not think about anything else. Seeing reports from training camp it seems that part is still a work in progress. 

Also, if Gus really has slimmed down, I wonder what it does for his running. I didn't see his weight being an issue last year, while I did feel Dixon carried some bad weight that hindered him from breaking the big runs. 

I really like he fact that Hayden has bulked up an additional 20 lbs. I found it interesting that he stated he never got back to his collegiate playing weight and felt weaker last season.

While this isn’t make or break, this is the age as to where a TE is expected to breakout. With his hands and at 260-265 lbs, I’ll be interested to see if that doesn’t lead to improved blocking and more dominance at the catch point. Being bigger should allow him to play more of an Anquan Boldin playing style that best fits his skillset. As opposed to relying only on agility to separate he can use strength. While Andrews has shown to separate well against zone coverage, Hurst with this size and his hands could be our go to threat when defenses resort to man coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I hope the 'bulked up 20 pounds' thing is them talking about him also making back mass that he lost from being on the sidelines last year because otherwise it sounds like Hurst got into some of Boyle's special sauce this offseason. 

I think that's the jist of it. At least from the part I remember reading. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I hope the 'bulked up 20 pounds' thing is them talking about him also making back mass that he lost from being on the sidelines last year because otherwise it sounds like Hurst got into some of Boyle's special sauce this offseason. 

The special sauce point was one of my first thoughts on this too. But hey, as long as he doesn’t get caught.

In terms of whether it’s just rebuilding bulk vs creating more bulk, it sounds like it’s a combination.

He mentioned that the combine kept him from getting back in the gym as early to bulk up like we saw from him in college. He weighed in at 250 lbs at the combine, which is what his listed playing weight was. So even if we assume he played closer to 255 lbs, I doubt he was as high as he is now. Hurst mentioned that he was as low as 245 lbs in 2018 and that he’s now at 265 lbs.

Either way he gained 20 lbs of muscle pretty quickly... there’s few logical explanations for that without the use of steroids involved.

I just don't believe him. I think he's exaggerating or "trying to sound cool" lol, however you want to put it. Both he and Mark are former Wide Receivers. I'm sure they have to work exceedingly hard to maintain their desired size. Hayden was robbed of a true offseason with the NFL Draft process, as all prospects are. And then the foot thing threw another wrench in the works. Now, he's simply been able to consistently get in the kind of work he wants and seems happy with the results.  

I'm fine with he or Mark doing whatever they feel they need to in order to be in top shape for the season. So long as they don't lose speed or explosiveness as a result. And Harbaugh already confirmed Hayden is just as fast as he was last offseason, so we're good to go. 

• Like 1