OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

Looks like Seth Roberts could be out for up to 2 weeks with an injury. If Scott or Wesley are going to make a move on a roster spot- now is the time. Culley seems really high on Jaleel, said he has a long term future with the club. Wesley has already dug himself a hole with a drop on his only target against the Jags. It would take something incredible from him to make the 53 at this point. Other teams don't scout practices, which is where he's excelled. He should be more than safe on the practice squad. 

Jaleel is contributing on special teams, flashing in practice, and translated it to game day against the Jags with his big catch. Roberts, Moore, and Snead are all only under contract for 2019. We have dirt cheap control of Scott for '19, '20, and '21. EDC will take that into consideration when looking at the position. It's hard to see Scott beating out Roberts if we're only carrying 5. So it's on Jaleel to force DeCosta to carry 6 if he wants to make it on the 53.

• Like 1

Feels like we won't. Just to play it absolutely safe I think the medical staff will have him take the week to ease back in, sit out against GB, and then debut fully in our joint practices against the Eagles and the subsequent game. Which would create a scenario where, as starters typically don't play in the 4th preseason game, he'll only have one game under his belt going into the regular season. Which isn't ideal. Luckily we start the year against Miami though, so that will be like an extra little warm up game for him.

In the end, I'm not concerned. Marquise is a smart player. Coming from a big time program and offense. He won't have trouble acclimating imo. It's best to prioritize his long term health. Also the joint practices against the Eagles will give him more reps than a game would, so that should be factored in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Looks like Seth Roberts could be out for up to 2 weeks with an injury. If Scott or Wesley are going to make a move on a roster spot- now is the time. Culley seems really high on Jaleel, said he has a long term future with the club. Wesley has already dug himself a hole with a drop on his only target against the Jags. It would take something incredible from him to make the 53 at this point. Other teams don't scout practices, which is where he's excelled. He should be more than safe on the practice squad. 

Jaleel is contributing on special teams, flashing in practice, and translated it to game day against the Jags with his big catch. Roberts, Moore, and Snead are all only under contract for 2019. We have dirt cheap control of Scott for '19, '20, and '21. EDC will take that into consideration when looking at the position. It's hard to see Scott beating out Roberts if we're only carrying 5. So it's on Jaleel to force DeCosta to carry 6 if he wants to make it on the 53.

What’s sad is that Scott didn’t look like he was going to do much in that game either until Callahan replaced McSorely.

Not to beat this dead horse even more, but having McSorely out there allows him to improve, sure. But we need to balance that with allowing our bubble receivers an opportunity to shine with quality QB play. Callahan looks like he might be able to offer that. Thus I want to see him get more 3rd quarter looks. That way we can truly judge Scott and Wesley based off a QB that has the arm to deliver them the football (without us risking Lamar).

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Feels like we won't. Just to play it absolutely safe I think the medical staff will have him take the week to ease back in, sit out against GB, and then debut fully in our joint practices against the Eagles and the subsequent game. Which would create a scenario where, as starters typically don't play in the 4th preseason game, he'll only have one game under his belt going into the regular season. Which isn't ideal. Luckily we start the year against Miami though, so that will be like an extra little warm up game for him.

In the end, I'm not concerned. Marquise is a smart player. Coming from a big time program and offense. He won't have trouble acclimating imo. It's best to prioritize his long term health. Also the joint practices against the Eagles will give him more reps than a game would, so that should be factored in.

6 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

What’s sad is that Scott didn’t look like he was going to do much in that game either until Callahan replaced McSorely.

Not to beat this dead horse even more, but having McSorely out there allows him to improve, sure. But we need to balance that with allowing our bubble receivers an opportunity to shine with quality QB play. Callahan looks like he might be able to offer that. Thus I want to see him get more 3rd quarter looks. That way we can truly judge Scott and Wesley based off a QB that has the arm to deliver them the football (without us risking Lamar).

I can't see why you are so down on McSorley after 1 pre season game. I saw very little from Callahan to be optimistic about him, and I don't think him being a slightly better passer than McSorley makes him a more viable backup QB option. But I agree we should see a little more balanced snap count from those two.

6 hours ago, Danand said:

I can't see why you are so down on McSorley after 1 pre season game. I saw very little from Callahan to be optimistic about him, and I don't think him being a slightly better passer than McSorley makes him a more viable backup QB option. But I agree we should see a little more balanced snap count from those two.

I get it. I probably seem like that one guy who hated Lamar last year. And it’s not that I hate McSorely, I just doubt that he can benefit this team as a QB or as an athlete this season. Until that game I had all but just assumed he would make the roster but he’s got a lot of ground to makeup in a short period of time to be a useful option to benefit this team over guys who can be legit special teams contributors or contribute on the offensive end.

I mean if I can give a roster spot to say Patrick Mekari (assuming he remains healthy) to bolster our OL and avoid another team poaching needed OL depth, that sounds better than bolstering the QB spot with a player that I think if we have to resort to would hold the offense back. McSorely to me is rookie Joe Flacco without below average size and below average arm strength.

Thus I’d rather we redshirt him onto the practice squad and I’d rather we give equal opportunities to Callahan to see if he has anything worth exploring in terms of a roster spot. If not, we have McSorely as a PS option and Callahan as a street performer that knows the playbook.

41 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I get it. I probably seem like that one guy who hated Lamar last year. And it’s not that I hate McSorely, I just doubt that he can benefit this team as a QB or as an athlete this season. Until that game I had all but just assumed he would make the roster but he’s got a lot of ground to makeup in a short period of time to be a useful option to benefit this team over guys who can be legit special teams contributors or contribute on the offensive end.

I mean if I can give a roster spot to say Patrick Mekari (assuming he remains healthy) to bolster our OL and avoid another team poaching needed OL depth, that sounds better than bolstering the QB spot with a player that I think if we have to resort to would hold the offense back. McSorely to me is rookie Joe Flacco without below average size and below average arm strength.

Thus I’d rather we redshirt him onto the practice squad and I’d rather we give equal opportunities to Callahan to see if he has anything worth exploring in terms of a roster spot. If not, we have McSorely as a PS option and Callahan as a street performer that knows the playbook.

I don't think many of us have high thoughts of McSorley as a backup QB option, but I can see the idea of having him as the 3rd QB on the roster and potential backup on gameday to run the system.

I assume the idea of us keeping 3 QB's is because the Ravens think someone would grab McSorley from the practice squad - which is more and more unlikely if he doesn't show more, so we might not have an issue at all.

With regard to keeping Mekari, with how bad the oline situation is at other teams, Miami for example, we could perhaps have success with trading Eluemunor who have some T/G versatility.

If Senat is actually doing a good job and we have some interior guys as backups to G/C, Eluemunor could be the odd man out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Dang, was hoping we could finesse at least a fourth out of the Bears. Still, happy to get something, and at least he's not in the AFC. 

Hard to be disappointed when you consider that it's the highest pick traded for a kicker in 23 years, for a guy who went undrafted last year, and is yet to play in a regular season NFL game.  Don't get me wrong, I think Vedvik has the tools to be a very good kicker, but the Ravens FO basically conjured a pick here.

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 2