DreamKid

OTA/Camp Observations 2019

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Exactly, whatever it is. It will blow over. Tons of odd things take place during this time of the football year. Congrats on finally smashing the new avi RD. I know it wasn't easy for you to see Joe go lol.

Definitely wasn't easy, but it needed to be done. So why not use my favorite all-time Raven? But I miss my G.O.A.T, lol!

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I'd love the audio of the call between Pierce and his agent. Oooh boy, I bet he was a little hot under the collar.

Hot under the collar ain't the word. That man was boiling hot, lol. "Stop f-ckin' up the money, Michael!" - Agent

Some Notes from today's pressers-

Wink:

- Defense's speed is apparent, "Fast Fast".

- It's no secret they're going to lean on secondary. 

- He's excited about the pass rush, the new bodies in the rotation(Bowser, Williams, McPhee, Ray) will allow them to be more multiple then before.

- Wink said the desired weight for Pierce will be decided by the Trainers, Eric, and Harbs. I found that interesting, that the DC wouldn't be involved.

Culley:

- There was one funny moment at the Culley presser when he was about to reveal what previously used passing concepts Roman was going to be drawing upon. He reeled himself in though. 

Roman:

- He said we're not even at Training Camp yet and he doesn't think Lamar is going to see any look all season that he hasn't already. The defense is doing it's job for our young QB.

- Greg mentioned us employing some non traditional Tight End looks. Which, spoiler alert, should include a lot of WR looks for them. That's my guess. They did some of it last year, and both Hayden & Mark are former Wide Receivers. It gets strong blocking on the perimeter and can create some severe mismatches. 

Tony Jefferson:

- The defense is eager to prove their dominance once again, despite personnel losses. 

- Earl Thomas has some of the best instincts he's ever seen, and Earl has also started feeling more comfortable lately.

- Willie Snead and Jordan Lasley have been standout receivers for the offense.

- The defense calls Chuck Clark "Little Weddle". Super smart player that can get everyone lined up, and he's a playmaker on top of it. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

- The defense calls Chuck Clark "Little Weddle". Super smart player that can get everyone lined up, and he's a playmaker on top of it. 

He’s not worth mentioning. Nothing but camp fodder. He won’t make the team. /sarcasm

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Some Notes from today's pressers-

Wink:

- Defense's speed is apparent, "Fast Fast".

Tony Jefferson:

I really like that comparison for him. Definitely agree. Chuck Clark is a baller.

Not surprised by Wink's comment with Kenny Young stepping in for Slowsley, Earl replacing old man Weddle, and Tyus + Tim taking over Terrell and Zadarius' spots. 

Edited by BareYourTeeth

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

He’s not worth mentioning. Nothing but camp fodder. He won’t make the team. /sarcasm

exaggerate much do you. love how everybody knows how the 53 are playing out when TC didn't even start yet.

but lets just continue throwing random quotes around for good measure.

must be the next great safety in the making.

I looked at some of Chris Boards college tape. When he saw where the play was going, he was fast fast as Wink would say. He is another former safety/linebacker hybrid we have converted to a full time linebacker and I feel more and more comfortable with our current linebacker group.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

I looked at some of Chris Boards college tape. When he saw where the play was going, he was fast fast as Wink would say. He is another former safety/linebacker hybrid we have converted to a full time linebacker and I feel more and more comfortable with our current linebacker group.

As those instincts develop and the light comes on, you get splash plays like the ones Peanut delivered last season. It's a game of patience, but these conversion projects are a worthwhile endeavor. I'm super excited to watch Board play this preseason. So many sneaky year 2 guys on D I can't wait to watch. Sieler, Board, Young, Averett, Elliot. Ozzie left us a banger class. 

Senat is another player I really want to keep a close eye on this preseason. He seems to have a great energy to him, and looks more developed physically this year. We'll see what his technique looks like. 

Seems like a ton of people are worried about Lamar and his throwing. I don't see why if that's the case they just don't turn him into Brady. Short, intermediate passing tree with the over the top every once and again.

Lamar has to face more criticism than other young quarterbacks for some reason - I think one of the reasons is because of so many fans and media live in a world where fantasy football is king, and the "good" quarterbacks put their teams on their backs by passing the football.

This from Jeff Zrebeic from the Athletic is what I think we should get accustomed to, that Lamar will never be picture perfect from drive to drive, but what he can outweigh the bad passes.

His flaws are well-documented, and they were on display again this week, but the Ravens are banking on the things that he does really well, along with his strong desire to improve the things he doesn’t.

In the same article the Ravens coaching staff is cited for wanting to give Lamar a young receiving group to work with. Unless younger receivers complete fall of in training camp, I can't see why we would go with players like Seth Roberts, Michael Floyd etc. just because they have more experience over the younger talented guys on the roster who have yet a chance to prove themselves.

Here are 20 standouts from OTAs/Camp according to *checks notes, the Ravens' team photographer. So FWIW- https://www.baltimoreravens.com/photos/biggest-standouts#bc51064c-4a57-49dd-aea4-c85db9dea115

TBH most of the stuff that gets put out this time of the year comes from people with as much or less football knowledge than your regular joe fans. So this guy is no worse of a source then your average team reporter or guys like Ryan Mink. It's all just fluff until we hit realer football anyway. 

- Mark Andrews

- Chris Board

- Terrell Bonds

- Tyus Bowser

- Gus Edwards

- DeShon Elliot

- Justice Hill

- Marlon Humphrey

- Hayden Hurst

- Mark Ingram

- Bennett Jackson

- Lamar Jackson

- Tony Jefferson

- Chris Moore

- Patrick "Peanut" Onwuasor

- Jaleel Scott

- Jimmy Smith

- Willie Snead

- Earl Thomas

- Antoine Wesley

On 6/12/2019 at 11:48 PM, berlin calling said:

exaggerate much do you. love how everybody knows how the 53 are playing out when TC didn't even start yet.

but lets just continue throwing random quotes around for good measure.

must be the next great safety in the making.

It’s not much of an exaggeration. He makes plays. I never said Deshon Elliot wouldn’t also make the roster. I was a big fan of that selection last year. I never thought Elliot was a 1st round talent like some of the hype had him, but I thought with a team to develop him, he could eventually get to be a high caliber starting safety in this league. He showed a lot of promise as a 20 year old college defender with a great athletic profile. Had he stayed another year, he likely was a late 1st round pick in this draft.

Anyways, my point is Chuck Clark was an integral player within our secondary last season. He’s got FS/SS/ likely DLB versatility. He knows the playbook inside and out. He’s a special teams talent. Has started and outshined the starter. He got an interception in one of those starts. This is a passing league.

Yet it makes more sense to get rid of him than a third string DL who simply clogs rushing lanes? The team would be better off trading some of their plush DL talent to a team in need, than releasing Chuck Clark.

Willie Henry, if he doesn’t beat out Chris Wormley for the starting role, would be a prime candidate to move for a 6th round pick. We don’t have enough spaces and Sieler has the functionality to make what Henry brings to the table redundant.