OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s not much of an exaggeration. He makes plays. I never said Deshon Elliot wouldn’t also make the roster. I was a big fan of that selection last year. I never thought Elliot was a 1st round talent like some of the hype had him, but I thought with a team to develop him, he could eventually get to be a high caliber starting safety in this league. He showed a lot of promise as a 20 year old college defender with a great athletic profile. Had he stayed another year, he likely was a late 1st round pick in this draft.

Anyways, my point is Chuck Clark was an integral player within our secondary last season. He’s got FS/SS/ likely DLB versatility. He knows the playbook inside and out. He’s a special teams talent. Has started and outshined the starter. He got an interception in one of those starts. This is a passing league.

Yet it makes more sense to get rid of him than a third string DL who simply clogs rushing lanes? The team would be better off trading some of their plush DL talent to a team in need, than releasing Chuck Clark.

Willie Henry, if he doesn’t beat out Chris Wormley for the starting role, would be a prime candidate to move for a 6th round pick. We don’t have enough spaces and Sieler has the functionality to make what Henry brings to the table redundant.

Once I blocked that guy as well as the Seahawks fan, a lot of negativity on this forum disappeared. Can't see how anything said about Clark could be exaggerated, as no one is crowning him to be more than he is - but what he is and has been and what he can be is pretty much as equal to a roster lock as can be. I think he has showed every time he was on the field what a great form tackler he is and run defender, and also surprised some of us with how adept he looked in coverage.

Combined with his special teams ability and being on a rookie contract, Clark should be viewed as one of the essential building blocks on the team with potential to be a starter.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Danand said:

Once I blocked that guy as well as the Seahawks fan, a lot of negativity on this forum disappeared.

Yea, I did the same. Someone offering a unique viewpoint is always fine, but when 90% of their posts come out of left field/don't make sense and they drown in negativity- It's time to just ignore their posts. I'm not here for twitter takes. Finally decided to start using the ignore function when I had seen enough of the Anti-Lamar posts from a member, and have used it joyfully since lol. I didn't use it on AFS though. He barely posts in here, and I enjoy seeing him get into it with posters outside the Ravens section. Which happens quite frequently. 

50 minutes ago, Danand said:

Can't see how anything said about Clark could be exaggerated, as no one is crowning him to be more than he is - but what he is and has been and what he can be is pretty much as equal to a roster lock as can be.

This.

We're lucky to have both Clark and Elliot. Check out this Special Teams hit by Deshon, on none other than Joe Mixon. These are those energy givers that fire up a defense, and can swing momentum. Chris Moore said he still wants to play special teams too, so I expect our units to be stronger than last year. Though losing Jerry will always sting. 

17 hours ago, Danand said:

Once I blocked that guy as well as the Seahawks fan, a lot of negativity on this forum disappeared. Can't see how anything said about Clark could be exaggerated, as no one is crowning him to be more than he is - but what he is and has been and what he can be is pretty much as equal to a roster lock as can be. I think he has showed every time he was on the field what a great form tackler he is and run defender, and also surprised some of us with how adept he looked in coverage.

Combined with his special teams ability and being on a rookie contract, Clark should be viewed as one of the essential building blocks on the team with potential to be a starter.

I’ll probably eventually crack to doing that. But many times I’ve realized a forum is a lot like having siblings. Sometimes you love a guy and sometimes you... don’t.

Generally I love everyone’s takes when it comes to the draft, it forces you to take a second and third look at a guy that you initially thought was going to be camp fodder, yet now think has pro bowl potential... even if you disagreed with that person a million times, their passion has the potentially to turn you around. The problem is generally with the team takes. But I’m on this forum more for draft takes than team takes.

I'm eager to see Board play in pre-season. Based on what we've been hearing over the last couple weeks, it's sounding like he actually has a pretty good shot of winning the starting ILB spot next to Peanut.  Wink said "Chris Board and Kenny Young, they're in a battle for the WILL spot just like it's been in the past. I think we got one starter in Peanut and the other ones we'll see." 

Edited by BareYourTeeth

On 6/14/2019 at 11:13 AM, Danand said:

Lamar has to face more criticism than other young quarterbacks for some reason - I think one of the reasons is because of so many fans and media live in a world where fantasy football is king, and the "good" quarterbacks put their teams on their backs by passing the football.

This from Jeff Zrebeic from the Athletic is what I think we should get accustomed to, that Lamar will never be picture perfect from drive to drive, but what he can outweigh the bad passes.

In the same article the Ravens coaching staff is cited for wanting to give Lamar a young receiving group to work with. Unless younger receivers complete fall of in training camp, I can't see why we would go with players like Seth Roberts, Michael Floyd etc. just because they have more experience over the younger talented guys on the roster who have yet a chance to prove themselves.

I honestly view Roberts as an insurance policy at this point.  He was signed immediately following his release and gave us a viable option before we knew we would be drafting two WR with our first three picks.  I thnik he still gives some depth at the position in case of injury, but I see him as one of our top options for a preseason trade if another team has a rash of injuries in the WR group.

• Like 2

Misleading post by rotoworld- https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/705/hayden-hurst

HAYDEN HURST TE, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Ravens TE Hayden Hurst (hamstring) is questionable for training camp.

Hurst got in some minicamp reps but still isn't fully over his hamstring issues. It's a concern after foot surgery cost him four games last year. Hurst added 20-pounds of muscle this offseason and is hoping the added weight will help him stay healthy.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Jun 25, 2019, 8:39 AM ET

- The "Source" tweet:

Hayden was powering through some minor hamstring stuff all minicamp, without issue. John smartly shut him down a little early just to play it super safe for TC. The same hyper precautionary tactics he's used with other players this early in the season. Seems like Roto is going out of their way to paint a bleaker picture. Hurst is suddenly "Questionable" for TC because he had a precautionary rest day, 20 days ago.... Expect him to be a full go.

I use this time of year to rewatch some games and also get a better understanding of the game. Brian Baldinger is pretty good in that regard.

Then I listen to podcasts regarding the next generation of draftable players and look into some more tape of the players we drafted - Jaylon Ferguson for instance is a much better hand technician than I thought, but with the opponents he lined up against I can see why he slipped in the draft with his production.