OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

This is super odd. If you've followed Pierce's offseason on various social media outlets, you'd know he's posted recent footage of him doing explosion drills and specifically he's done a lot of pass rush training. Pierce is a super high character player who has worked incredibly hard all the way up from small school UDFA to a key and elite player on our defense. He's even entering a contract year. Something is fishy about this. Is he nursing an injury or illness? Being held out for his own safety sounds rather extreme. 

14 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Hope he doesn't get sent to the dog house. We're gonna need him this year.

He's too good/important/valuable to be sent to the doghouse, short of him doing something really crazy that is. I don't think Harbaugh is upset with him either. Best guess is he's nursing something they'd rather not disclose, and "conditioning" is as good an excuse as any for a NT absence. 

Honestly, I hope it is a conditioning issue. We know his overall work ethic can't be questioned. With multiple productive seasons under his belt issue free. Sometimes focusing on specific areas of fitness can drag out unforeseen shortcomings in other areas. Maybe that's what happened. I'd prefer that to an injury any day.  

It's one thing to be out of shape and behind as a player. Where you'll need to work yourself back into playing condition, by participating in football. Which isn't uncommon for any player really, there's just varying degrees of such a situation. It's another entirely when it's presumed "unsafe" for you to participate at all. Like I said, it's some rather extreme wording. 

Harbaugh doesn't usually hold guys out for anything but injuries. For example, Dixon came in fat as hell last camp but was only absent when he had an injury flare up. John wants guys on the field working, so long as they're healthy. Now Pierce is a 1% human being and has realities to his fitness/health that I'm sure are not commonplace. It's just odd though.

2019- One Month Ago

2018- One of the most celebrated offseasons on the team

2016- ....

2015- ....