OTA/Camp Observations 2019

DreamKid

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only thing I'm hoping to hear out of camp is who flashes at OLB. Right now I have zero faith we're going to field a consistent pass rusher next year.

From today-

--The edge rushers were disruptive in 11-ons. Matthew Judon and Tim Williams collapsed the pocket off the right side. Then Shane Ray disrupted the next play off left tackle. Towards the end of practice Tyus Bowser ‘sacked’ Lamar Jackson.--

I'm really not worried about it. I think our young guys will step up and produce with more opportunity. Our pass rush wasn't anything special last year, and we still fielded a championship level defense. So even if our EDGE group doesn't pan out the way we hope, it isn't going to break our unit as a whole. Everything will be fine.

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/07/26/camp-notes/ravens-camp-notes-2019/ - This dude has a more negative take on the offense. 

--I’ve seen quite a few folks from practice complimenting the Ravens offense on their 2nd day of training camp, but my perspective of events comes in slightly different from those glowing reviews. 

Yes, Lamar Jackson completed the majority of his throws, and yes, the spirals were (overall) tighter and more accurate than last year, but one major factor in determining ‘success’ in regards to camp is being excluded in that assessment.

Today was again played in shells, and nobody is hitting. 

As such, we’re not hearing enough about the plays that never would’ve happened had this been a live game where players would be taking/dishing hits on the field. Take into consideration the few plays where the pocket collapsed on Lamar Jackson and instead of getting to the QB, defensive players stood down, raised their hand once they got home, and Lamar turned the edge to end up throwing downfield for a completion.

Praise comes for a completion, but this was a sack by all measures.

Of course, it’s worth noting that these drills appeared to be focused on making the QB throw, so perhaps some of these forced balls would’ve been QB’s using their legs to escape pressure, so it’s truly hard to say how negative one can be… but by all appearances? This was a poor showing for the Ravens offense on Day 2.

Fret not, though! It’s not all negative today, as defensively, a few players shone.--

-- Anthony Levine Sr. was flying all over the field, got some backfield pressure (would’ve been a sack) on Lamar Jackson, and had a phenomenal recovery/pass break up against Chris Moore down the sideline that prompted Tony Jefferson to run downfield hyping his man.

Marlon Humphrey had himself a solid showing today as well (as expected) breaking up multiple passes, and really only getting burned one time by Seth Roberts (who dropped an easy 40 yard score).

Other solid defensive contributions came from Tyus Bowser (2nd straight day of noticeable pressure), undrafted rookie Gerald Willis (sitting in Trace McSorely’s lap a few times), and Peanut Onwuasor (read Lamar’s eyes and fingertips away from a pick on the throw). --

--Other Notes

• With Matt Skura out Bradley Bozeman moved up to starting Center, we got an extended look at Randin Crecelius at center. It… wasn’t good. Notably a snap clear over Trace McSorely’s head and then some (wasn’t his only errant snap, either)
  • WR Antoine Wesley with a stellar one handed grab in the corner of the endzone… and it wasn’t even the play of the day!
  • WR Jaleel Scott had the play of the day, reaching into the atmosphere, grabbing the football with his fingertips, pulling it down as he rolled over and maintained possession… except it was out of bounds. Regardless, my opinion of him continues to climb.
  • With Orlando Brown Jr back in the fold, the team initially slotted him at RT on the first unit, thus sliding James Hurst into LG duties and Ben Powers moved to second unit. Soon after, Brown Jr was dropped back to the 2nd unit while Hurst kicked out to RT and Powers returned as LG. This lineup stayed for the majority of practice.
  • Jaylen Smith’s 5 total drops through Day 2 keep him atop the leader board, with Jordan Lasley adding 2, pulling his total to 4 through 2 days and good for 2nd place.
  • Rookie Biggie Marshall played lockdown CB in the latter part of practice, notably a PBU on Antoine Wesley at the goal line. 
  • Rookie RB Justice Hill’s burst is insane to watch live. Dare I say, the best we’ve seen from a Ravens RB since the Ray Rice days…--

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Other solid defensive contributions came from Tyus Bowser (2nd straight day of noticeable pressure)

Lamar at QB is going to make Bowser stand out more. He's super strong in space and when Lamar breaks the pocket, Tyus will flash. We saw the same back in college, Bowser forced a safety out of Lamar in their CFB match up. Conversely, our slower more strength/power inclined OLBs might get unfairly dragged or labelled slow by observers on occasion. Due to their inability to consistently match up with our stable of mobile QBs in space. Which would be nonsensical as you can count the number of speed threat QBs in the league on one hand, and one is on our team. 

Which isn't to take anything away from Tyus, who has flashed against all measure of QB before. I just think we might hear his name come up a lot, and there could be some context to add. All things considered it's great to hear he's making an impact.

35 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

undrafted rookie Gerald Willis (sitting in Trace McSorely’s lap a few times)

Remember, Gerald Willis was called and considered the steal of the entire league's UDFA class. I'm anxious to see how he looks during the preseason, particularly against the run, but it's interesting to see his name emerge early. 

41 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Rookie RB Justice Hill’s burst is insane to watch live. Dare I say, the best we’ve seen from a Ravens RB since the Ray Rice days…

Holy Rookie hype Batman!....

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 12:53 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Kenny Young just not impressing...or what? Like I don't get it. Dude flashed in games last year. REAL GAMES.

They want an all FCS front seven. Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Patrick Ricard, Zach Sieler, Chris Board, Patrick Onwausor, and Matt Judon.

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The only thing I'm hoping to hear out of camp is who flashes at OLB. Right now I have zero faith we're going to field a consistent pass rusher next year.

Not worried about this. I'm very confident that's going to work itself out. The Ravens will figure out LB, just like the Steelers will figure out WR with AB gone. There's enough to work with there. Anyway as the analytics have started figuring out, coverage is more important than pass rush. You need talent to keep receivers from getting open, pass rush can be schemed. The fact that the Ravens have chosen to pay up for Tavon Young and Earl Thomas, while not even bothering with ZaDarius or Judon is very calculated. There are some more future 3rd/4th round compensatory picks in our current group.  Also TBQH, it may be a blessing that we don't have to trot out a 37 year old Suggs for 750 snaps again this year.

By far, my biggest hope for training camp is that we get a player or two step up to competence on the interior O-line. That has sunk our season before. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Team identity is strongest when both sides of the ball adopt the same swagger and intensity. Ray Rice, Vonta Leach, and Anquan Boldin had zero punk in them. They were tone setters. You need bullies on offense same as defense. Hopefully these young guys can bring out the beast in themselves early. Back in the day big Zeus would throw start throwing bombs if the defense got out of line.