Sign in to follow this  
AlexGreen#20

Sacks from the 1st 4 games

I'm going to do all the sacks from the year, but I wanted to break it down.

I need to reupload a bunch of these. As always, let me know your thoughts.

Here are the first 4 games:

https://imgur.com/cjK5rhW

Sack #1

1st and 10

It’s 1st and 10, and the Packers have 3 TEs in the game for some inexplicable reason. Marcedes Lewis and Lance Kendricks are on the line to the right, Jimmy Graham is in the slot to the left. Ty Montgomery will line up in the backfield before being motioned out to be the boundary receiver to the left with Graham. Davante Adams is to the right.

Justin McCray shoots his hands here and they both get intercepted by Akiem Hicks who takes them and promptly walks him into the backfield before discarding him and getting a strip sack. I don’t know what there is to say about McCray here. The Packer lineman are taught that they are never to shoot their hands first for this exact reason.

Even if McCray doesn’t screw this up, the play is going nowhere though. Nobody is open. Which is what happens when you have no pass catching talent on the field.

Responsibility: 1 McCray/1 McCarthy

+++

Sack #2

3rd and 9

3rd and 9 is a down you shouldn’t be in. It means the defenders are able to pin their ears back and run all sorts of stunts and blitzes. That’s what happened here. There’s 3 WRs, Ty Montgomery, and Jimmy Graham in the game.

The Bears are going to play coverage with four rushing and seven dropping back. Nobody really gets open here. Graham is open for a short gain but he wasn’t likely go get 9 yards to move the chains and avoid a punt. Rather than throw to Graham, Rodgers holds it, the rush gets home and Rodgers ends up hurting his knee.

On the rush itself, Linsley and McCray mangle this DT stunt. Taylor passes off his DT and picks up the looper exactly like he’s supposed to, but Linsley has gotten turned to far over and ends up getting walloped in the side and falling. If handled appropriately, Linsley would have handed his DT over to McCray a second sooner, and wouldn’t have gotten clipped in the side and fallen down. He instead would have been able to pick up the guy who had the sack.

It’s hard to put the blame on anybody here as 3rd and 9 is really tough to block against a good defensive line, but I think Linsley needs to eat this one.

Responsibility: 1 Linsley

+++

https://imgur.com/NHduEcw

Sack #3

3rd and 9 from the Bears 9.

3rd and 9 in the redzone is really tough. Kizer just really sucks though. He passes up what was a decent shot at a TD and instead walks into a sack and gets stripped. Don’t play Deshon Kizer.

Responsibility: 1 Kizer

+++

Sack #4

1st and 10

Kahlil Mack’s a really good player. He beats Bulaga around the edge in 2 seconds and change. He does a great inside step that causes Bulaga to stutter and then gets his hands into Bulaga’s pads for a rip down move. He does all of that without losing hardly any time around the edge. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to a great player.

Roquan Smtih technically gets the sack here but Montgomery actually did a really good job of picking him up on the initial rush. He lost the block when his legs got taken out by friendly fire. This was all Mack.

Responsibility: 1 Bulaga

+++

https://imgur.com/eizD17p

Sack #5

2nd and 10

This is an attempt at play action. The Line is showing some zone stepping to sell this and Kendricks is coming across to mimic a counter lead run. Kendricks misangles his math, he needs to be at least a step over to his left so that he can pickup the rusher. McCray just doesn’t have the feet to play this through. He ends up getting beat on his outside shoulder by Sheldon Rischardson for interior pressure.

Responsibility: 1 McCray/1/2 Kendricks

+++

Sack #6

1st and 10

Danielle Hunter gets Bulaga very similar to how Mack got him. They’re aiming for his outside shoulder and throwing their hands across his body. When Bulaga stops his feet to counter, they’re playing off of his outside shoulder and running through his outside arm. He needs to continue to move his feet and not get suckered into his punch early.

+++

Sack 7

2nd and 10

David Parry is going to get the sack here by just bullrushing Lane Taylor into Aaron Rodgers. The downside of shooting your hands second is that you need to have the anchor to sit down on the bullrush when it comes. Taylor was playing high up in his stance and wasn’t able to kill it.

We do get to see Aaron Rodgers double clutch at an open receiver running an arrow route for the first time in this collection. He gets to eat half a sack here for that decision.

Responsibility: 1 Taylor/1/2 Rodgers

+++

https://imgur.com/mCw2nY5

Sack 8

3rd and 4

Vikings come with a blitz to the outside. Bakhtiari gets dinged with this for blocking nobody. Rodgers gets to eat one too for completely missing that a blitzer was coming from his left and that he had 2 defenders to pick up 3 receivers with 4 yards to the first down marker.

Responsibility: 1 Bakhtiari/1Rodgers

+++

https://imgur.com/goeSMmd

Sack 9

1st and 10

This play is complete trash. The further back a QB is from the line of scrimmage, the harder it is for an offensive lineman to protect him. That’s why it’s important for QBs to slide forward in the pocket when they hit their 7 yards of depth. They generally want to slide up to 5 yards so that their offensive tackles can push the edge rushers behind the QB and out of the play. Rodgers starts at 5 yards in the backfield, and does a play fake that gets him ten yards deep. This is terrible.

Because David Bakhtiari is a stud, he rides this out and manages to cut off his man. The problem is that he had to move so far away from his linemates that it left all of them on an island. For a Guard, pass protecting often happens in a phone booth. A defensive tackle can’t run way the hell outside of you because he’ll run into his teammate. That’s why so many Tackles that don’t have the feet to play offensive tackle find success at Guard.

When Bakhtiari gets so far wide and so far deep, he essentially turns Lane Taylor into an Offensive Tackle with all the footwork requirements that entails. He is not ready for this on this particular play. You can already see that he’s off balance when Jamaal Williams runs into his back and sets a textbook screen for Jonathan Allen to run around and get to the QB.

Even that might have been survivable, the rest of the line did a very good job giving Rodgers a window to step up into, except that Mercedes Lewis just forgot the protection call and gave Preston Smtih a clear-as-day shot at Rodgers. Fire everybody.

Jimmy Graham and Randall Cobb were both wide open for big plays here if the protection was good.

Responsibility: 1 McCarthy/1 Lewis/1/2 Williams/1/2 Taylor

+++

Sack 10

1st and 10

The Redskins are going to come with just three here and we’re still going to give up a sack almost immediately. Preston Smith is going to drop back into coverage (and do a really good job of it) which is going to make Rodgers hesitant to try and gun a ball into some very tight windows.

Bulaga gets held here but doesn’t get a flag. Ionnidas is going to get an arm wrapped around his waist and use it to twist him off balance and set him up for the bull rush. Once again, this kinda thing can happen when you punch second as a pass protector.

+++

https://imgur.com/gj5Sdf5

Sack 11

2nd and 14

Redskins get a shot to pin their ears back and make something happen thanks to the down and distance. Similar to what happened in the first sack against the Redskins, Spriggs is going to take his man way the hell outside which is going to leave Justin McCray in space. Justin McCray is not good in space which is why DaRon Payne promptly beats him.

I can’t say for certain, but I’m about 50% sure that Jimmy Graham is supposed to turn his hitch there into an inside slant route when the Inside Linebacker rotates away from him. Not sure.

Responsibility: 1 McCray

+++

Sack 12

3rd and 15

I shouldn’t even both with this one considering they were down 14 with a 1:40 left in the game, but we’re doing this to be a completionist. Initial protection isn’t bad, but at about the 3.25 second mark, Lane Taylor gets beat by an inside spin move. Everything would have been fine with that, except that Rodgers was deciding whether or not to throw a ball to Graham that may have been contested (why the **** not, you’re down 14 with less than 2 minutes left) and took two slide steps up into the pocket for no reason which put him in range of the sack. They each get half of a sack here in my eyes.

Responsibility: 1/2Taylor/1/2 Rodgers

+++

https://imgur.com/z5VYQ80

Sack 13

2nd and 6

Blitz coming from the safety. Rodgers doesn’t look for his checkdown and ends up getting hit. Williams was open in the flat.

Responsibility: Rodgers

+++

Sack 14

3rd and 6

It’s 3rd and 6 and the defense is showing blitz. Rodgers does the right thing to motion Montgomery out as a pressure release valve. And then doesn’t throw it to his checkdown RB in the face of the blitz, gets hit, and fumbles.

Responsibility: Rodgers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Through 4 games

14 Total Sacks

19 Sacks Contributed

Rodgers: 4

Bulaga: 3

McCray: 3

McCarthy: 2

Taylor: 2

Linsley: 1

Bakhtiari: 1

Lewis: 1

Kizer: 1

Kendricks: 1/2

Williams: 1/2

Damn, I'm pretty stoked about this, can't wait to see the whole thing, thank you for the effort.  I'd say so far it's about what I would have expected; Rodgers making everyone's life harder while the interior can't be trusted and the playcall exacerbates everything.  

Watching these I can't help but feel like it's a pretty good microcosm of the offense as a whole.  So many 3rd downs with breakdowns across the board; there's never a good time for everything to go wrong, but the one time it can't happen is on 3rd down.  I'm not sure what MLF will end up bringing to the table for his offense, but it's hard to imagine it being more disjointed than what the Packers put out on the field last year.  Do you have any kind of sense as you watch this how much of this offense was being called by Rodgers vs McCarthy?  I have my own suspicions on it, but I definitely haven't and won't be putting in the kind of work you are.  And I do realize that it's not actually possible to discern that from this, more just curious about your opinion.

Meanwhile, on the defensive side of the ball in the first several games, Mathews was getting his sacks negated by roughing the passer penalties, SMH.

Bulaga was returning from a serious knee injury. Taylor has a nagging injury too. The OL arrow is really pointing up in 2019. I expect a much better start to the season.

1 hour ago, Gopackgonerd said:

That kizer sack is hilariously bad

Fixed it for you.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Fixed it for you.  

That goes hand and hand :D