Discussion: RAS, cross post from the browns forum.

Kiwibrown

Athletic metrics....  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Athletic metrics

• All Bull
    • watch the tape
    • RAS is a great tool
    • SPARQ
    • SPARQ and RAS have their place.

i really like RAS, obviously the more information you have the better but i think it's pretty good for an all-encompassing score. stuff like RAS and sparq scores are good ways to quickly compare a player's athleticism to their peers. it's just an elegant tool to have when evaluating players.

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

In general 40 is probably overrated and 3 cone underrated as it relates to football.

3 cone is such a great test for a lot of positions. it tests short-area quickness, change of direction ability and balance (to an extent), all of which are very valuable qualities for players to have. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

The problem is it is also Ricardo louis, mingo, territory. There are too many false positives for ras to be helpful imo.

Sure and that's exactly why I think it's an usefully tool if used properly with other tools and TAPE. We can look at it on the other side. Guys that tested poorly but became studs. I mean, look at Eric Weddle, Faneca and more recently Orla do Brown Jr. Brown probably had one of the lowest RAS ever and even with his tape showing how good he was protecting Baker, teams still passed on him based on a 1-day combine.

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/01/17/cb-relative-athletic-scores-ras-table/

Year Pos Name School ATRAS RAS
1987 CB Rod Woodson Purdue 9.72 10
1996 CB Anthony Dorsett Pittsburgh 9.82 10
1999 CB Chris Watson Eastern Illinois 9.98 10
2000 CB William Bartee Oklahoma 9.95 10
2007 CB Darrelle Revis Pittsburgh 9.99 10
2017 CB Marshon Lattimore Ohio State 10 10

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pwny said:

This is important. And I really don’t see how RAS holds even the same value as the spider chart. 

But I’d also argue that sometimes it’s good to combine stats. However, as you’ve explained, it has to have a set purpose that is helpful. Speed scores are helpful because it puts the player’s 40 time in context of his weight. These pass rusher analytics that have been coming out the last several years are helpful because they put those test results in a context that’s relevant for the position they play. Those are where the value comes from. These are just a mash of everything, pretending that every position relies on physical ability the exact same way. 

You must have missed the part where the RAS number is calculated by position. So its the percentile of that position for each drill that gets averaged. 

If you are saying that some athletic test scores are more relevant to certain positions and should therefore carry more weight (ie bench for an OL or DL is more important than for a corner) in the formula, then I would agree with you.

What was DK metcalf's SPARQ score compared to his RAS? 

44 minutes ago, N4L said:

You must have missed the part where the RAS number is calculated by position. So its the percentile of that position for each drill that gets averaged. 

If you are 

What was DK metcalf's SPARQ score compared to his RAS? 

139 sparq or 99th percentile and his ras iirc is high 9s or 10.