This Ain't Bills Talk 2.0 OT1

Thelonebillsfan

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

You all have interesting jobs. Im jealous.

I have been working groundskeeping or housekeeping for 3 and half years now. Super mundane stuff but the pay is good and I get weekends off so I'm happy.

I miss working with my hands. I used to work in a guitar shop, building and doing repairs and did that on and off for about 8 years. Of all my past jobs/careers, it is the one I miss the most. You get to see immediate results of your work, so super quick feedback. Plus being hyper, doing physical work helps keep me out of trouble!

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I need to do something interesting or i get realll grumpy. My idea is to work for an airline or a major hotel so i get some kind of cool perk.

Tried multiple times to get on working for an airline, but never even got an interview. Probably wasn't pretty enough! Really wanted the opportunity to fly cheap and see the world though.

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Tried multiple times to get on working for an airline, but never even got an interview. Probably wasn't pretty enough! Really wanted the opportunity to fly cheap and see the world though.

You don’t have to be a stewardess. My girlfriend’s mom just checks people’s boarding pass and can practically fly anywhere she wants for 50 bucks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Yikes. Wouldn't be too keen on that. And yeah we get an insane amount of holidays. We even get off for Columbus day haha.

LOL, here in good ol' California (actually, it might just be Los Angeles/LA County) we don't have Columbus Day anymore. Last month was the last time. Starting next year it will be changed to "Indigenous Peoples Day"...

I think we get like 8 or 9 holidays. 

12 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

What do y’all do for a living? I’m finally graduating with my bachelors in May 

I work as a System Operator for the electric company out here (Southern California Edison). There's a LOT to it, but basically I run the entire grid and all the work that gets done on it from the residential (2.4kV/12kV/16kV) to the bulk power (500kV). It can be pretty intense at times, and pretty stressful at times, as we literally have people's lives in our hands, but I really enjoy it for the most part. They call us the "Air Traffic Controllers of the electric grid" because part of our job is redirecting power flow for crews to do work, and with as little impact to customers as possible. It pays really well, but my hours can be pretty ridiculous at times. We work 12 hour rotating shifts (I work as many graveyards (6pm-6am) as possible), and I have worked as many as 28 straight. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

You all have interesting jobs. Im jealous.

I have been working groundskeeping or housekeeping for 3 and half years now. Super mundane stuff but the pay is good and I get weekends off so I'm happy.

mine really isn't that exciting, I hate it, the industry has changed

It's actually less like this:

acerothstein.jpg

and more like this:

flare.jpg

On 11/10/2017 at 1:41 PM, Yibbyl said:

Small(ish) world! Former financial analyst myself, then military >.gov contractor but as a meteorological technician (weatherdude). Now a high school special ed teacher (English, Gov't/Econ). Have had several other careers, too. And, yes, I have a short attention sp - Oh, look, squirrel! ;)

Wow. That's an awesome list of jobs. My cousin is a special ed teacher at a school in downtown Buffalo. Small world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I read this as "with a concentration on wildfire" and thought that was about the coolest thing I had ever heard

Well I do know people who graduated with same degree... They moved out west for a job and they had to help fight wildfires. Even if it's not their job it's all hands on deck kind of deal