This Ain't Bills Talk 2.0 OT1

Thelonebillsfan

15 hours ago, BigBillsFan13 said:

@bigbadbuff@Trentwannabecongrats on your huge life moments that I missed!! I wish you both (and everyone else involved) nothing but absolute happiness. 

And to anyone else that had events I've missed, I apologize and congrats to you all as well. 

Thanks so much man!!! Great to see you posting!

Hope to see more of you this season if possible 😀

On 6/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, BigBillsFan13 said:

@bigbadbuff@Trentwannabecongrats on your huge life moments that I missed!! I wish you both (and everyone else involved) nothing but absolute happiness. 

And to anyone else that had events I've missed, I apologize and congrats to you all as well. 

Thanks man! Been a while! Hope you and the fam are doing well.

8 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Jessie Pegula (Terry & Kim daughter) made the US Olympics team for tennis. Pretty cool.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/07/01/jessica-pegula-daughter-of-bills-owners-named-to-u-s-olympic-tennis-team/

The Pegulas have seemingly done an amazing job raising their children and getting the Bills back. Too bad they are killing the Sabers lol

On 7/2/2021 at 8:25 AM, Trentwannabe said:

The Pegulas have seemingly done an amazing job raising their children and getting the Bills back. Too bad they are killing the Sabers lol

Did they do anything to get the Bills back? Feel like they just got lucky as all hell with McBeane. I say lucky because i have a bunch of other examples of hirings between the two franchises that were terrible. 

McBeane quite literally could’ve saved the franchise.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Did they do anything to get the Bills back? Feel like they just got lucky as all hell with McBeane. I say lucky because i have a bunch of other examples of hirings between the two franchises that were terrible. 

Yeah their "big thing" to save the franchise was just firing Russ Brandon lol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

They still made the hire of McDermott over the heavy favourite Anthony Lynn. And that is after admitting the mistake of hiring Rex. Imagine we went into year 3 with him because Pegula was too cheap or gunshy  to fire his first coach.

This team would look completely different and still be bottom dwellers.

I don’t  think they’ve been perfect by any means but the hiring of McDermott and trusting him to essentially hand pick the GM has been  the sole reason for the turn around. I think they deserve credit for that.

The transition I think for the Pegulas when coming to buffalo had a lot of uncertainty in the beginning so I am accepting of what had happened to the Bills early on. You legit signed a HC a year prior to selling the team in which you gave him a contract where he had an opt out clause and to be able to collect money, the unknown of the ability to move the team, and a front office that you had to take time to adjust to. I think phasing out Brandon was the best move they could do. Having a guy like Whaley and him were bad for business. He has always been an issue since essentially appointing him de facto in 2006. He was involved in almost everything so the Pegulas had to see what he was about when they came in on 2015. Which then they moved him around to sabres and eventually got canned 3 years later. The rex hiring was more of a safe move believe it or not as you are dealing with the HC leaving for no reason and having to find someone replacing him while being a rookie owner of an NFL team, a vet HC with a mouth caused some marketing splash and media attention (good or bad). Making the right moves and getting rid of some key guys in the front office and the coaching staff are underrated. While some stayed on they also lost power such as Jim Overdorf as he was the contract negotiator for almost 40 years. He was losing his power around the same time Whaley was let go and beane/mcdermott brought in their guys to control that. So to me it was more of giving the Pegulas time to find the right pieces for the organization

I do not know what Sabres are doing and whether Pegulas  want a bit more power or control with them or they just havent been able to find that right fit. They definitely need to do something with that franchise as I am not sure it will last much longer with so much disarray and continuous turnover.

On a different note, Blue Jays have been in talks of trying to sell the team for years, and with the decline in attendance I  wouldnt be mad if Pegulas had the money to make a move for them and bring them to Buffalo as it seems like they could get a decent fan base for them. Wishful thinking fan of Buffalo on this though.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, bigbadbuff said:

It was mostly luck, but some credit is deserved. McD is the one that brought Beane in, but Pegula did hire McD. I think they struck lightening with that hire given all the crap they've brought in between the two franchises over the past decade.

• 1 month later...

Just posted this earlier this a.m. in the WFT forum. Rooting for you guys this year and beyond (as long as we're not in it).

BTW - full disclosure. I'm rooting for a SB win for our team this year. 

However, I will also be rooting for the Bills this year (*). If however, we get eliminated and they don't I'll then be rooting for them to win their first SB.

Why? See (*)

(*) A friend of mine just passed away last Saturday. He was former military (did the first combat jump the military did after WW2 with the 82nd Airborne when we went into Panama after Noriega and he also deployed to the Sinai with my brother) and we were pretty close. I don't think there was a weekend in my 20s that we weren't at various bars, etc... having way too many drinks. We kept in touch over the years as we both got married and had our families (he leaves a wife and two young boys who are around my daughter's age). He was the BIGGEST Bills fan and I never let him live it down. He was excited about getting Allen and the direction the team was going. One of the last things we talked about when he was in hospice (before he lost consciousness) was the Bills and how he thought they'd do this year. I told him I'd be rooting for them this year "as long as my team isn't in it". 

So yeah, I made a promise. Sorry for the personal stuff. Just wanted you to know why I might be seen rooting for them. I made a promise and I always keep them.

• Like 2