Reuben Foster goes down on 2nd snap of OTA's (Redskins)

Brian23

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:49 AM, Woz said:

One is passive, one is active. They were benching him late in the season, so the writing was on the wall. Brown even said as much (though he thought the reason for his benching was crap, which it could have been).

Oh I am. Of course, I was even when Reuben Foster was healthy (as I was assuming he would get into more trouble and not be available to them at some point in the near future). At the same time, I can understand why they didn't draft an ILB early.

1. They had Reuben Foster so they thought it wasn't as critical a need.
  2. The top two ILBs in the draft went 5 (Devin White) and 10 (Devin Bush). Next LB taken was in the second round, but A) they gave that pick up to trade back into the first to take Montez Sweat and B) said next LB was taken before (Tavai) they could have picked anyway. Next ILB? Germaine Pratt ... who went ahead of their pick to the Bengals.
  3. So it really comes down to: improve the WR corps by selecting Terry McLaurin (a massive problem on the team) or go for Sione Takitaki, Cody Barton, or Robert Okereke (the next 3 ILBs taken, after their pick in the third round). I don't claim to be a great evaluator of talent, so I'll take NFL.com's grades. McLaurin = 5.61, Takitaki = 5.18, Barton = 5.44, and Okereke = 5.48.

After that, the next LB was taken at the bottom of the 4th, which I doubt we'd call an early pick anymore.

It wasn't a great draft for ILBs and they had major needs elsewhere (QB, edge rusher, WR). So, they gambled on a guy they took a massive PR hit to pick up being their nominal starter (while also drafting a late guy at ILB for depth) ... and it didn't work as planned.

I wouldn't necessarily make significant judgements based of NFL.com's grades, they are notoriously inaccurate. But do agree that its easy to play the hindsight game, but there wasn't an immediate need with Foster on the roster, now its all about finding the best band aid

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I wouldn't necessarily make significant judgements based of NFL.com's grades, they are notoriously inaccurate. But do agree that its easy to play the hindsight game, but there wasn't an immediate need with Foster on the roster, now its all about finding the best band aid

I quickly scanned other sites (they're wiping out the 2019 boards to protect the foolish) and NFL.com at least gave a comp between them. Still, there was a big drop off from White and Bush to the rest of the ILBs. If we're going truly hindsight, it's possible we could say Washington should have either passed on Ross Pierschbacher for Mack Wilson (and gambled that Pierschbacher would have been there with their 5th compensatory pick).

As for band aid's, I think they stay in house and see what they have between Josh Harvey-Clemons, Shaun Dion Hamilton, and Cole Holcomb. If the injury gremlin keeps coming or the young guys don't look up to the task, then they might start sniffing around the guys on the street like Will Compton, Zach Vigil, or maybe further afield a Manti Te'o. Compton and Vigil will likely be called before someone like Te'o because they've got experience in DC ... not that they were any good, but they are known commodities in Ashburn.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...