Bucs cut DT Gerald McCoy

bucsfan333

As a Broncos fan I can safely say that I’ve no dog in this show.   Given where they are in their development / youth / cap talent / competition in division give me the Browns by a fair margin for 2019-20.  

CAR can offer 2 things to beat CLE - the revenge angle vs. Tampa & more $ in their offer.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Here'sJim said:

Again, you ignored the fact that Cam is coming off his shoulder injury. Is this irrelevant?  The Panthers have question marks too. Cam hasn't proved he has recovered from his surgery....

It isn't irrelevant in regards to the Panthers potential success in 2019, but it was irrelevant to my main point.  That is why I was saying I was never debating (or trying to anyway) if the Panthers would be better than the Browns in 2019 or vice versa.  My entire thing was that the Browns shouldn't be considered a team who wins games and a team a player who wants to win should go to because they haven't won anything yet.  

But yeah, Cam is coming off the injury.  Panthers success in 2019 is dependent upon him returning healthy, just like the Browns success in 2019 is dependent on the talent on paper gelling and living up to overwhelming expectations.

Edited by iknowcool

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It isn't just Browns fans who are hyped on the Browns before they sigedn OBJ I think they were like 25-1 SB odds. Now they are 14-1 but even before that they were looked at as a better betting option than the 50-1 Panthers or 40-1 Ravens.

Betting odds don't matter.  They are targeted at, for the most part, casual fans.  That is why the Cowboys, almost regardless of how they performed in a previous year, always seem to have favorable betting odds.  Panthers by comparison almost never do.  Hell I remember in 2015 when the Cowboys had a losing record and the Panthers were undefeated and they played on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys were actually favored to win.  It was crazy to me.

Jaguars and 49ers have better Super Bowl odds than the Panthers too.  Would you say they are better, or perceived as being better, than the Panthers as well?

Edited by iknowcool

Back on topic, FWIW:

Panthers will have even more money freed up soon since Matt Kalil was a post June 1 designation. 

I'm hoping we can pull it off.  Players LOVE Rivera, so hopefully he leaves a good enough impression.  McCoy-Poe-Short, with Love and Butler rotating in and out, would be one of the best DLs in football.  Seems like we are either confident we'll sign him or desperate that we have to, otherwise I don't think they would risk guaranteeing Smith's money (even if they lowered the amount) as opposed to having him on a non-guaranteed salary, especially considering he might be nothing more than our #5 WR... and that isn't even including McCaffrey, Olsen, or Thomas.

Edited by iknowcool

35 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Betting odds don't matter.  They are targeted at, for the most part, casual fans.  That is why the Cowboys, almost regardless of how they performed in a previous year, always seem to have favorable betting odds.  Panthers by comparison almost never do.  Hell I remember in 2015 when the Cowboys had a losing record and the Panthers were undefeated and they played on Thanksgiving, the Cowboys were actually favored to win.  It was crazy to me.

Jaguars and 49ers have better Super Bowl odds than the Panthers too.  Would you say they are better, or perceived as being better, than the Panthers as well?

Well the Browns are usually last in those odds it isn't like they are a heavily betting favorite like the Cowboys.

As far as the 49ers and Jaguars I'd have them around the same odds to make the playoffs as the Panthers. They all scream 6 to 9 wins to me. Obviously they will all go as far as their QB takes them even though the Jags did it without a couple years ago.

17 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Obviously they will all go as far as their QB takes them even though the Jags did it without a couple years ago.

Kinda. Blake Bortles played really well for the Jaguars that year. Like, not "he's clearly a great QB" kind of play, but he was certainly not bad.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kinda. Blake Bortles played really well for the Jaguars that year. Like, not "he's clearly a great QB" kind of play, but he was certainly not bad.

Yeah he wasn't terrible but he was still a below average starter who played well late in the year and was decent in the playoffs. Odds are if Foles has a 21/13 year completing 60% of his passes I'd guess they miss the playoffs unless the D goes crazy like in 2017.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the Browns are usually last in those odds it isn't like they are a heavily betting favorite like the Cowboys.

Since the end of last year, they have gotten a ridiculous amount of hype in the media.  When it comes to NFL talk on ESPN or any other media outlet, the Browns are among the most discussed teams and they have added a lot of marquee/high-profile players over the last year.  

Heck, forget about where they rank in comparison to the Panthers.  Would you say the Browns are the 5th most likeliest team to win the Super Bowl?  Would you agree the 49ers have better odds of winning the Super Bowl than the Seahawks, Falcons, Ravens, and Texans?  

Edited by iknowcool

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

Since the end of last year, they have gotten a ridiculous amount of hype in the media.  When it comes to NFL talk on ESPN or any other media outlet, the Browns are among the most discussed teams and they have added a lot of marquee/high-profile players over the last year.  They appeal to the casual fan.

Hell, forget about where they rank in comparison to the Panthers.  Do you really think the Browns are the 5th most likeliest team to win the Super Bowl?  Do you agree the 49ers have better odds of winning the Super Bowl than the Seahawks, Falcons, Ravens, and Texans?  

Mayfield is the biggest reason for the Browns' elevated status. OBJ, Vernon, Hunt and Richardson are real nice pieces but Mayfield's play and charisma is what propels opinion of this roster from a possible playoff team to a favorite (not the favorite) in the conference. A lot of people are expecting the offense to look close to what KC brought out last year and while that is unlikely it does have the potential.

I'm not sold on Garoppolo so no I don't agree with those odds. Take away the QB and they are probably more talented than most of those teams so it really comes down to if you believe in Garoppolo or not. If I did I would understand their placement.

I don't know if I agree that Browns should be the 5th most likely SB team but they do have a chance to be the 5th best roster so I get it. Obviously betting lines depend on bettors and trends but that number was placed before bets were being taken so Vegas likes their chances and don't want to take the risk of a lot of people betting on them at lower odds. If they didn't think there was a chance they would win they'd keep the odds a bit higher to get more action. Right now the Browns have zero wins and they will have to earn any actual accolades that they receive but right now it's all about potential and they have high potential even if it is currently unrealized.

Can't fault McCoy for doing his due diligence with the 3 visits. As a player I don't think he can choose wrong with where he wants to go, he's a clear scheme fit for each time that fills a need.

IMHO if he was really serious about winning, then it comes down to two teams: Baltimore and Cleveland. Does he buy the Cleveland hype as the next team on the rise, or does he buy into Lamar Jackson and the perennial consistency of Baltimore's defenses?