Bucs to release Gerald McCoy

Pandomonium

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

No thanks. 

Assuming he's still going to be somewhat expensive. 

Agreed. The money that would go to him I would rather rollover for Buckner and Kittle next year. I don't see his addition as moving the needle in any meaningful way. I would rather save the cap for next season and roll with the 25 or 23 year olds already on the team. 

If it was a WR, DB, or IOL of his caliber, this might be a different story.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Agreed. The money that would go to him I would rather rollover for Buckner and Kittle next year. I don't see his addition as moving the needle in any meaningful way. I would rather save the cap for next season and roll with the 25 or 23 year olds already on the team. 

If it was a WR, DB, or IOL of his caliber, this might be a different story.

Yep. If they want to cut Mike Evans, I'm all about signing him lol. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pandomonium said:

he's better than both of them 
and who knows what he'll ask for

I'm willing to bet he's going to ask for something commiserate with his worth. A team like Indy should be all over him on a year deal with all that cap space. Maybe he takes a discount to play on a winner, sometimes vets do that...but uh...that's not us lol. 

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'd rather sign Ndamukong Suh. 

I wouldnt lol

Suh dissappeared for large stretches of last year. Granted, he had some games where he was dominant, but it was only for short stretches. He played a lot better in the post-season, almost like he was pulling an Andre Iguodala (knowing your body cant go the full season at full speed so you go through the motions in the regular season and save yourself for the post season). 

I also dont like him in the locker room. We have a super young, impressionable DL. 

DT shouldn't even be on our radar at this point. We have a abundance of them. McCoy adds nothing but quality depth at this point. But who are we kidding...he's not starting over DeFo and he's not a NT. There's nothing that would make this a attractive destination for him whatsoever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

DT shouldn't even be on our radar at this point. We have a abundance of them. McCoy adds nothing but quality depth at this point. But who are we kidding...he's not starting over DeFo and he's not a NT. There's nothing that would make this a attractive destination for him whatsoever. 

That's why I get what @48 1/2ers was saying about Suh. He's probably a better compliment on this line than McCoy is. That being said, I agree with @N4L that Suh was often completely indifferent and invisible for long stretches last year until he blew up the playoffs, and I'm not sure I want to pay 8 figures for that kind of play. I think the cap space is more valuable right now with upcoming extensions, largely middle of the pack cap space next year, etc. I'm fine leaving the defensive line exactly as is. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N4L said:

I wouldnt lol

Suh dissappeared for large stretches of last year. Granted, he had some games where he was dominant, but it was only for short stretches. He played a lot better in the post-season, almost like he was pulling an Andre Iguodala (knowing your body cant go the full season at full speed so you go through the motions in the regular season and save yourself for the post season). 

I also dont like him in the locker room. We have a super young, impressionable DL. 

If we're making any additions at this point for 10+ mil per year i'll take a guy that delivers in the playoffs. The leaders in this locker room are pretty established on both sides of the ball, i doubt a guy on a 1 or 2 yr contract would make much of a fuss. 

Looks like Suh is going to TB anyways so not much more to say on him. McCoy doesn't interest me. Luiget doesnt interest me either. This dline is pretty set. I agree with @Forge

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If we're making any additions at this point for 10+ mil per year i'll take a guy that delivers in the playoffs

You say this like McCoy disappeared in the playoffs or something. The bucs haven't made it, through no fault of his own. I am glad that you are thinking about the playoffs though! Lets get there. 

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

The leaders in this locker room are pretty established on both sides of the ball, i doubt a guy on a 1 or 2 yr contract would make much of a fuss.

Not how locker rooms work in my experience, especially considering Suh has been around the block and would be the oldest member of our DL if we sign him. He would be in a leadership role for that reason alone. 

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Looks like Suh is going to TB anyways so not much more to say on him.

I am glad that he isn't on the rams because the way to beat Suh is the same way you beat Donald, you trap them. Its really hard to trap two guys at once, so this will allow us to focus on trapping Donald more frequently. Its really the only way to win against Donald consistently imo. 

I agree that our DL is basically set, if you are posting on a computer and can see my sig, I think we have the best DL in the NFL (or at least, we will very soon).

Bosa - Buckner - Thomas - Ford is a very very good 4 that all work together well. Thomas is a good run stuffer/space eater in the middle because he is very strong and stout, while also having good lateral quickness to squeeze plays to either side. He is a good pairing with ford on that side because ford wont be playing the run all that often. Bosa and buckner both play the run and the pass extremely well.

Obviously they wont play every down and I expect Thomas to get more snaps on the outside than any of us would like, but at the end of games when we need a stop I expect those four guys out there more often than not. 

Im also a lot higher on AA than most people. I think he is a stud who had a great year last year. I think most people are stuck on their first impressions of a guy and think that is who they are. AA has improved a lot over the last two years.

Its the same reason I am not as high on Warner as a lot of people are. He is a solid player, but I think everyone saw the first few games and made up their mind as to who he is as a player, when in reality he was pretty unspectacular in the second half of the season. The rookie wall is a real thing, and we were a bad team/bad defense, so I am not writing him off, just saying that people expect too much of him because they saw him play very well the first few weeks. The jury is still out on him. 

• Like 1