Sean Davis CB

Money

When you look at him, the first thing you say is safety build? Because what I see is a cornerback. 

Run Support, Jump Balls, Screen Play. This is a cover two CB. He has length and great leaping ability. Not too mention an outstanding 3 cone or change of direction. This is a press CB jamming the WR and having the ability to mirror and jam him long enough to disrupt the route and ruin the play. When he doesn't, he has the ability to play the ball in the air and run with the WR. You may think 3 cone, and he's like a pterodactyl out there, and with his tackling ability, you got a safety. Wrong. He lacks the instincts of a safety. 

You play him where you maximize his value. The right cornerback. Playing cover two. Press. He drops off and gobbles up anything short in front of him. That's a major asset in the modern NFL. 

Screen game. Don't try it. That's what he brings to the table. The modern NFL gimmicky short crap you got Davis there - the crab - just gobbling up that crap.

https://youtu.be/JnRXGnA2MI8

Another point I'd like to make is then you can move Haden.

NYJ for a 6th rd pick. They relent just getting a 6th rd pick in a trade for Darron Lee. Seeing great value in a run to 4-12. But they re-sign him so no harm, no foul. 

Reshad Jones deal. Mentioned before. Contract problem. Haden money makes this possible.

Gerald McCoy. We need a 3-tech for the "base" 4 man front. With 2 ILB. I'd like to then go Heyward and Tuitt are my DE. McCoy and Hargrave at DT. And just go Curtain. 4 years. $45m. Up to $52.5m. $31m guaranteed. $9m signing bonus.

TJ Watt and Devin Bush as blitzing ILB. With coverage possibility as well. TJ possible TE. Remember we get a HYB in this defense and Barron could be used as a LB/S. For speed. All sayings and beliefs subject to the schematics. Sutton Smith as that "ILB" but really a safety/EDGE giving the RT problems with the help of Tuitt. 

And then you trade for Peterson. 

Base Defense

RE - OHIO ST #97 Cameron Heyward

DT - OKLAHOMA #93 Gerald McCoy

DT - SC ST #79 Javon Hargrave 

LE - NOTRE DAME #91 Stephon Tuitt

LB - MICHIGAN #55 Devin Bush

LB - WISCONSIN #90 TJ Watt

CB - MARYLAND #21 Sean Davis

S - GEORGIA #20 Reshad Jones

S - VA TECH #34 Terrell Edmunds

S/LB - ALABAMA #26 Mark Barron

CB - LSU #21 Patrick Peterson

Good. Night. Shirts. 

17.8 PPG

Edited by Money

Pressure package.

First package: remove the saltiest DL. Now three man front. A safety comes off the field. As pressure is applied to the box

Insert Mike Hilton and Sutton Smith

Edited by Money

48 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Only if you you want them to play 9 or 7 tech.

Playing them both at the 5T leaves the edges exposed, unless you consistently play some form of over or under with 1 playing 7/9T, which you might as well stay 3/4 base for. 

13 hours ago, Money said:

When you look at him, the first thing you say is safety build? Because what I see is a cornerback. 

No doubt he is a hybrid or tweener.  Problem is he is a pretty good athlete, but not necessarily an instinctive football player.  This combination has hurt him early in his pro career.  Although if they were going to play him at CB, he should have been outside and not in the slot. His coverage skills are not suited as an inside/slot CB. 

Run Support, Jump Balls, Screen Play. This is a cover two CB. He has length and great leaping ability. Not too mention an outstanding 3 cone or change of direction. This is a press CB jamming the WR and having the ability to mirror and jam him long enough to disrupt the route and ruin the play. When he doesn't, he has the ability to play the ball in the air and run with the WR. You may think 3 cone, and he's like a pterodactyl out there, and with his tackling ability, you got a safety. Wrong. He lacks the instincts of a safety. 

Despite his ability to close and attack, he is not always a solid tackler.  This hurts him both in run support and in coverage having to tackle one on one.  He can hit/stick you, but doesn't always wrap you up. I am not sure that Shawn has ideal CB instincts either.  The kid has a high IQ and is smart, but maybe he needs to stop trying to overthink and just play downhill.  There are times he gets stuck between trying to overthink (see several plays the New Orleans saints game last year) and times when he was too aggressive (several plays the SD Chargers game last year, notably the play where he kept Haden from an EZ INT that turned into a TD off the deflection). He has to be more consistent.  His hands have proven to be questionable as well. 

You play him where you maximize his value. The right cornerback. Playing cover two. Press. He drops off and gobbles up anything short in front of him. That's a major asset in the modern NFL. 

I could have seen value to this year one when they had him playing CB, but now a very emphatic NO!!!  Too much bouncing around already and not enough time to let him develop in one position. A change in position would mean that Davis would  have switched positions every year as a pro. He is a FS, so keep him there.  In the Steelers defense the FS and SS are essentially the same as they pretty much play sides as oppressed to the true nature of the position (FS Centerfield and SS more of a box LOS player).

Screen game. Don't try it. That's what he brings to the table. The modern NFL gimmicky short crap you got Davis there - the crab - just gobbling up that crap.

https://youtu.be/JnRXGnA2MI8

I watched a lot of U of MD football over the years and I loved Davis. If you care to "fact check" me he is someone that I liked coming out of the draft for the Steelers defense. Consistency has been Sean's problem as a pro.  Is it because he hasn't stepped his game up or because he has been moved around so much that he has not been able to settle in at one position? This upcoming season is put up or ship out. 

Another point I'd like to make is then you can move Haden.

NYJ for a 6th rd pick. They relent just getting a 6th rd pick in a trade for Darron Lee. Seeing great value in a run to 4-12. But they re-sign him so no harm, no foul. 

I don't know if you are saying this to illicit a response from the group or if you are genuinely serious.  I don't understand your explanation. Maybe I am reading and interpreting what you are saying about Darron Lee wrong. Losing Haden makes no sense to me for a few reasons:

1. Why get rid of your best CB?

2. Is it fair or even realistic to expect Sean Davis to again switch positions and play to the level of Joe Haden let alone Artie Burns who struggles?

3. Why weaken two positions?

Reshad Jones deal. Mentioned before. Contract problem. Haden money makes this possible.

I wouldn't mind, but not via trade.  Age, money and the new regime may part was with him anyway because of the two reasons I stated.  If he was a late cap cut, I would definitely kick the tire with him.  However, I still like Tre' Boston who is sitting out there as an unsigned free agent.  he's younger and adds versatility as well as depth in the back end.

Gerald McCoy. We need a 3-tech for the "base" 4 man front. With 2 ILB. I'd like to then go Heyward and Tuitt are my DE. McCoy and Hargrave at DT. And just go Curtain. 4 years. $45m. Up to $52.5m. $31m guaranteed. $9m signing bonus.

Why????  That's more than what he would have gotten in TB?  That would be purely a luxury pick and quite similar in stature to what we presently have.  Heyward and Tuitt are solid and versatile enough to play DT in a 4-3.  If you signed a DL, it would make more sense to me to go after a true 4-3 type DE who can rush the passer (lean, strong and athletic 6'4 275). 

TJ Watt and Devin Bush as blitzing ILB. With coverage possibility as well. TJ possible TE. Remember we get a HYB in this defense and Barron could be used as a LB/S. For speed. All sayings and beliefs subject to the schematics. Sutton Smith as that "ILB" but really a safety/EDGE giving the RT problems with the help of Tuitt. 

Why all of this position switching? Watt is your best Edge Rusher. Shouldn't you keep him there?  Devin Bush and Sutton Smith both have to play a down of NFL football before we know what we have with them.  I like both players, but they have nothing but college numbers and potential on their Resumes'.  Too much mad scientist **** LeBeau complications (which are very good at times), but sometimes the closets distance to the QB is a straight line.

And then you trade for Peterson. 

Suspended 8 games! Why??? How does that help now? Especially if you had traded Haden away? And then Beyonce' leaves JZ for me because I am much better looking than he is. 9_9

Base Defense

RE - OHIO ST #97 Cameron Heyward

DT - OKLAHOMA #93 Gerald McCoy

DT - SC ST #79 Javon Hargrave 

LE - NOTRE DAME #91 Stephon Tuitt

LB - MICHIGAN #55 Devin Bush

LB - WISCONSIN #90 TJ Watt

CB - MARYLAND #21 Sean Davis

S - GEORGIA #20 Reshad Jones

S - VA TECH #34 Terrell Edmunds

S/LB - ALABAMA #26 Mark Barron

CB - LSU #21 Patrick Peterson

We should make the Madden Bowl with this defensive line-up.  As always just a hint of thought provoking, educated, sound and rational football to lure you into the abyss of craziness. I just can't stop reading and then I have to respond. :D

Clerks-2-rosario-dawson-1747418-500-281.

Good. Night. Shirts. 

17.8 PPG

th?id=OIP._eWT8wcngeRY-SyBU9Dm9QHaFj&pid

"And then he fixed Beyonce and me some blueberry pancakes. "

Charlie-Murphy.jpg

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Why people keep on insisting Tuitt can play 4-3 DE is the mystery of the Steelers FF forum. 

I believe that in certain specialized situations both he and Cam can.  However, it is not ideal and not an every down type thing.

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Tuitt can play 5 tech in a 4-3 as can Heyward.  They are better in a 3-4 but what ever floats your boat.

+1 Agreed.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Both playing 4-3 edge together would be a disaster. 

I think that depends on the situation and what an offense is doing to attack a defense or down in distance.  No neither would be ideal playing against teams r in situations where you have an offense that is attacking the Edge or outside. It could also be vulnerable against teams that like to RPO with their QB (Certainly unless they could lay their shoulders into the QB):D

Against teams that like to power run inside and are not as effective passing (using the run to set up the pass), they would be more effective. They would have been more effective as DE's against the Jaguars and Bears in 2017 in that role. Their size, strength and ability to stuff would have helped jam things inside of the tackles.  We know the counter would have been to run outside/off tackle.  That is where you would need your CB's and LB'ers to react and  attack appropriately.

Every defense and scheme has its strengths and weaknesses.  Some teams can adjust and others are stuck trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. I get your point of why complicate things and play them at a position where they are not as effective (I agree).  I do think that in the two examples that I gave with someone who was better suited to play DT, they would have been effective in stopping those two power running teams with limited QB's who can throw downfield consistently.

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Forgot to bold my comment

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Playing them both at the 5T leaves the edges exposed, unless you consistently play some form of over or under with 1 playing 7/9T, which you might as well stay 3/4 base for. 

I must have misunderstood the question.  Can they play a 4-3?  yes.  But only at a 5 tech.  If we are talking about the Steelers moving to a 4-3 then Bud becomes the 9 tech and Tuitt is a backup

Why don't we trade all our starters for draft picks next year? Then we can tank for 2019 and draft QB#1. Then with all the picks we can draft a bunch of rookies. Then we can suck for a few decades like the Browns.

See? I can come up with stupid ideas too.

• Like 1