Josh Jones wants to be traded

snackattack

2 hours ago, Donzo said:

It would be interesting to hear what posters thought of him early in 2017. He had a real good preseason and that big game in Cinncinatti, with over 10 tackles and 2 sacks,  in week 2 or 3... So, right after that Bengals game two years ago, who thought Jones was gonna bust in GB?

It might be interesting to some, but not me. Its water well under the bridge......in fact, its probably already made its way to the sea by now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malfatron said:

even better for Jones.

now he can go to the highest bidder!

No he can't! He doesn't have enough tenure to do that. He's got go clear waivers before he's free to sign anywhere. I saw one report where they said he'd be claimed. Meaning that team gets him and his current deal. 

1 minute ago, Greg C. said:

Any ideas why he looked so good in that Cincinnati game as a rookie, and then he pretty much did nothing for the next two years? Did he get lazy? Did they use him wrong? 

No idea, but if he plays anywhere close to Randall after we traded him, there is going to be some fireworks! LOL 

6 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

Any ideas why he looked so good in that Cincinnati game as a rookie, and then he pretty much did nothing for the next two years? Did he get lazy? Did they use him wrong? 

Because he didn't actually play that well in Cincinnati. He got a bunch of basically free runs at the QB which led to sacks. 

When your highlight reel is dependent on the other team screwing up, that isn't sustainable.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Because he didn't actually play that well in Cincinnati. He got a bunch of basically free runs at the QB which led to sacks. 

When your highlight reel is dependent on the other team screwing up, that isn't sustainable.

That's just completely 100% wrong, which has been your recent norm. If you're not posting hateful things about Aaron Rodgers, Vince Lombardi or making fun of domestic violence. You're posting wrong football information- odd... For JJ against the Bengals in 2017, I remember him having a scheme (free run) sack around left end, which is a normal sack every pass rusher gets. His other sack he blew up the TE getting to the QB. On a pressure, he blew up the RB, then chased Dalton out of the pocket forcing a throwaway pass. Pressuring the QB was just one facet of his dominant game that day. He was a demon on the line of scrimmage the entire game including an excellent 3rd down OT tackle just before the Packers' drive to win the game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Donzo said:

That's just completely 100% wrong, which has been your recent norm. If you're not posting hateful things about Aaron Rodgers, Vince Lombardi or making fun of domestic violence. You're posting wrong football information- odd... For JJ against the Bengals in 2017, I remember him having a scheme (free run) sack around left end, which is a normal sack every pass rusher gets. His other sack he blew up the TE getting to the QB. On a pressure, he blew up the RB, then chased Dalton out of the pocket forcing a throwaway pass. Pressuring the QB was just one facet of his dominant game that day. He was a demon on the line of scrimmage the entire game including an excellent 3rd down OT tackle just before the Packers' drive to win the game. 

Compression / hyper extension, free run / blew up his blocker. It's all the same to him! 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Any ideas why he looked so good in that Cincinnati game as a rookie? 

Then he pretty much did nothing for the next two years? Did he get lazy? Did they use him wrong? 

Easy answer for the first sentence. Not so easy answer for the second sentence... I know there's a highlight video of Jones in this game on You Tube. I've seen it posted a few times over the last couple years. If I was on my tablet, I'd get it, but I'm not. It would be very easy to find on You Tube.

For the first sentence, he played so well against the Bengals because he played his NFL position (dime LB/undersized 3/4 ILB/weak side 4/3 OLB), with confidence and viciousness. He was at the line of scrimmage (LOS) the whole game making tackle after tackle. He made clean tackles, a lot of them unassisted, within a few yards of the LOS. Besides the two sacks and pressures, I think he had two or three other tackles for losses or zero yards.

The play that stands out the most to me was the unassisted open field tackle he made on 3rd and short behind the line to gain in OT. It forced a punt. After the punt, Rodgers hit Allison on that long pass on the first play from scrimmage. Which setup the chip shot game winning FG.

I don't know if he played any true safety that game or not. If he did, it wasn't much, and he din't make a play off the line of scrimmage. He was just a whirling dervish  at the LOS. That's what he can do in the NFL.

For the second sentence, that's a tough question. If there was an easy answer, he'd probably still be a Packer. All in all, I'm thinking his attitude was the biggest reason. He shut it down after the Packers added the two high end safeties in the off season. That says a lot.

The other issue is he's not a safety. Even in the Bengal game, he had a couple tackles off the LOS, and he didn't look natural. LIS earlier, he's an undersized LB. That's not a problem though, because undersized LBs are an in thing in the NFL. But, that wasn't happening in GB. We'll see what happens to him now.

That's that.

Might Jones just have been a better fit for the Capers defense than the Pettine defense? He had better stats across the board his rookie year.  

http://www.nfl.com/player/joshjones/2558119/profile

The thing that concerned me was that he was passed over by a lot of players at the safety position, so he had to be doing something wrong in practice or something.  He was overtaken by Brice, Whitehead, Campbell, Greene, and we signed Amos and drafted Savage.  All of these guys got on the field very quickly, before Jones.  Everyone complains about Brice, Whitehead, and HaHa, but the team had Jones waiting to go and he never got PT.  Even when they used the box safety, they often used someone else.  Was he dumb? Was he a jerk? I honestly don't know.

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Pretty evident from the video he was built to play inside linebacker in nickle situations. He was a beast that game. 

Did he just refuse to do it? It looked like he was enjoying himself.  That position sees a ton of snaps, but others played in front of him.

16 minutes ago, Donzo said:

That's just completely 100% wrong

But it's not. None of his plays were eye openers. He was put in a spot to succeed and it happened to work out for him that day. He tackled some checkdowns and made tackles after he got beat by some jag tight ends. Even the sack that he "blew up" the TE, the venerable Tyler Kroft turns his hips and starts chasing upfield he just lost the rep immediately and Josh was able to get underneath it. It was a flash in the pan game that wasnt sustained. Two DCs couldnt find a use for him, we didnt just release a HoF ILB hiding in a safeties body. Sometimes bad players have good games.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Here you go, I was looking it up while you were typing

He beat Tyler Kroft on a sack. Tyler Kroft who was cross listed at WR  and is like the blocking equivalent of a rookie Tonyan.

The rest of this game was him playing at ILB and doing regular ILB things. He had two nice fills, one of which isn't in the video, but both of them were entirely unblocked.