Josh Jones wants to be traded

snackattack

The interesting part for me is how Gute will handle it. He has shown that if you're not gonna buy in or if you have attitude issues, you're gone. The downside is that it gives players an easy out. Your move Gute

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

Perhaps like someone mentioned he only wants to be a safety...and he knows he will be used as an ILB. Either way I dont think this makes much sense for him. I was hoping to see him make a leap at that hybrid s/ilb spot this year.

19 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The interesting part for me is how Gute will handle it. He has shown that if you're not gonna buy in or if you have attitude issues, you're gone. The downside is that it gives players an easy out. Your move Gute

I'd think he'd rely heavily on coaching input. In this case its good that Pettine (and his defense / proposed defense) is a constant and its not a new DC saying "I can make something this guy" In Pettine's case - should he say that (or the opposite......) he's got history behind it that Gute can rely on.

It's not like Jones was some chump either. Its his coverage skills that are lacking. He was third in overall defensive tackles last year with 55.
Martinez (144) - Alexander (66) - Jones (55) - Clark (55) - Tramon (54).

Edited by Leader

Posted this in another thread but it's worth contrasting him with Kevin King. King saw us trade up in the draft for Alexander, draft Jackson, and sign Williams before last year and responded by winning the starting job throughout camp. Jones is not handling us signing Amos or drafting Savage well.

• Like 3

Well, he has 2 years under contract for an average of about 900k.  He has value if a team thinks that they can get him to work.  The problem is, he hasn't really shown that well in his limited time.  It also says something when he was beaten out for the job by Kentrell Brice and Tramon Williams, was fighting for PT with Raven Greene and Ibraheim Campbell, and his team signed Adrian Amos rather than rolling with him as a starter. 

I understand his frustration, but I also think he has a higher opinion of his skills than he should.  If HaHa was only worth a 4th, and is easily superior, what exactly can we get for Jones?

I go back to what palmy said about Jones needing a couple years to "get it". He said the 3rd year would be big for him. 

It's a shame that he isn't interested in going through with a 2nd year under Pettine. Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong because I am not in football mode at all right now, but does Pettine not like to run 3 safeties a fair amount? Amos and Savage are two that are ahead of Jones right now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

At 220lb and with 4.41 speed, he could still be a factor as a coverage type ILB if the instincts grow. Packers are very thin there ATM.

Agreed .. I wouldn't just release him .. we'd have to get something back in value or it's not worth doing.  

It seems to me that it's been pretty clear since even before the beginning of last season that Josh Jones hasn't wanted to be in Green Bay. He's all sour grapes because he thinks he's better than he is, or at least better than he's been given the chance to be here. He was riding pine to start the season with UDFAs starting in front of him.

I say cut bait. At this point the importance of locker room attitude is just as crucial to success as value to the team. His value to the team does not outweigh the risk of having his crap attitude in a young locker room. Trading him is more than he deserves and likely more than we can get anyway. 

Cut him. Now. I personally have no use for a sub-par player who's going to spend the majority of time complaining that the team doesn't use him properly. Suck it up and get better, or take a hike.

Edited by ccecilnosebleed

Its probably a thing where he thinks he is entitled to a starting spot and 2 years in a row he's been told hes not starting from the get go. Not a guy I want on the team that doesnt want to shut up and earn it. Depth is gonna suck if he leaves, maybe people will get their wish and Josh Jackson gets moved to Saftey ;)

Edited by Gopackgonerd

He and his agent are simply making a business decision - his role will change and his snaps will be reduced even further.
He played 735 snaps in 2017, 501 snaps in 2018 and he will get even fewer in 2019.

That's not conducive to him earning the 2nd contract he desires. He also knows the Packers invested big in Amos and moved up for Savage. He also knows the Packers moved up to draft Burks at ILB. Those are telling moves if you are looking out for Josh Jones' best interests. He was drafted to play in Capers defense, now he's getting a different role in Pettine's defense and its not one he aspires to -  both on the snaps/game side and the positional side.

From a purely pragmatic POV, this isn't unprecedented as players + agents manage their careers.

Josh also knows that GB probably threw too much at him early in his career, asking him to learn FS, SS, dime ILB and others - and that has stunted his growth because assimilating all of those responsibilities has made him think too much and didn't allow his athleticism to shine through.

Its easy enough to piss on the guy, but some team will find a role for him and GB isn't completely "blameless" in this less - than- ideal outcome
Jones is simply looking out for his future best interests and that may or may not be in Green Bay WI. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

He and his agent are simply making a business decision - his role will change and his snaps will be reduced even further.
He played 735 snaps in 2017, 501 snaps in 2018 and he will get even fewer in 2019.

That's not conducive to him earning the 2nd contract he desires. He also knows the Packers invested big in Amos and moved up for Savage. He also knows the Packers moved up to draft Burks at ILB. Those are telling moves if you are looking out for Josh Jones' best interests. He was drafted to play in Capers defense, now he's getting a different role in Pettine's defense and its not one he aspires to -  both on the snaps/game side and the positional side.

From a purely pragmatic POV, this isn't unprecedented as players + agents manage their careers.

Josh also knows that GB probably threw too much at him early in his career, asking him to learn FS, SS, dime ILB and others - and that has stunted his growth because assimilating all of those responsibilities has made him think too much and didn't allow his athleticism to shine through.

Its easy enough to piss on the guy, but some team will find a role for him and GB isn't completely "blameless" in this less - than- ideal outcome
Jones is simply looking out for his future best interests and that may or may not be in Green Bay WI. 

I can agree with all of this. But if he's a player you want to find a role for, you also want to see him handling this situation the right way. Making a spectacle in the media just makes him look stupid and draws attention to the wrong places.