Josh Jones wants to be traded

snackattack

15 hours ago, gizmo2012 said:

I don't get the Jones trade request. What has he done to even warrant a trade request? Nothing. What in the heck does he think a team will give up to tade for Josh Jones? Certaionly not where he was drafted. Dude get to camp and earn your respect because to date that has not happened. 

I wish he’d stick it out, but I definitely get it from his end. He is getting moved to a hybrid lb/S role and isn’t guaranteed a starting role. In all reality it is looking like he’s a backup the next 2 years, which gives him a small chance at a second contract pay day.

Getting traded or cut now saves him 2 years and gives him a chance at finding a team that will give him a legit shot at S where he thinks he can play.

It is kind of similar to Datone Jones. We drafted him to play line, after 2 years moved him to LB,  and was moved back to DT by other teams where he’s probably better at. He would have personally been better off not being drafted by us and spending his whole career developing at the line. You could use the same logic with Randall (a college S we had at corner).

• Like 1

I think pro football players have a certain mentality that allows them to play the game with equal parts skill and ferocity. Sometimes, they can never grasp the nuances of the playbooks and wash out. Sometimes their skill levels aren't developed enough in certain areas and they move on to other endeavors. Jones must have a lot of pride, and he's been embarrassed by the rookies and FAs and even UDFAs that Green Bay has selected at his position and started before him.

The only question that remains is he enough of a baller to wade through these transactions and improve himself to the point of being valuable? Personally, I think he's going to have a fantastic year and make Green Bay pay him for being that third safety that never goes off the field. I believe he has the ability,  he just hasn't shown it enough to be considered a valuable member of the secondary.  Otherwise he's pretty worthless in any trade speculations right now.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hands said:

I think pro football players have a certain mentality that allows them to play the game with equal parts skill and ferocity. Sometimes, they can never grasp the nuances of the playbooks and wash out. Sometimes their skill levels aren't developed enough in certain areas and they move on to other endeavors. Jones must have a lot of pride, and he's been embarrassed by the rookies and FAs and even UDFAs that Green Bay has selected at his position and started before him.

The only question that remains is he enough of a baller to wade through these transactions and improve himself to the point of being valuable? Personally, I think he's going to have a fantastic year and make Green Bay pay him for being that third safety that never goes off the field. I believe he has the ability,  he just hasn't shown it enough to be considered a valuable member of the secondary.  Otherwise he's pretty worthless in any trade speculations right now.   

That's a good post. As a fan of GB, the best outcome for me is that team pretends this story never happened and his coaches help him become the awesome player he thinks he can be. As a person who tries to be fair-minded, I can get how Josh might have been held back by GB with their recent history of plugging the occasional player into a position that is poorly suited to their strengths. I don't really have a dog in the fight and I simply hope that Josh either works out here or gets a fair opportunity somewhere outside the division.

17 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No, it's not an oxymoron... he was a 2nd round pick and expected to be a solid starting player.  He hasn't been that, but he hasn't been terrible when he got extensive work.  Definitely not starter level though.

The guy could not beat out Kentrell Brice for a starting position. So, if Jones "hasn't been terrible when he got extensive work", and the team didn't think he was better than Brice, who was terrible, then the team was wrong? Sorry, Jones was a mistake. Apparently the Packers chose a guy with million dollar physical gifts and a ten cent head. He was chosen to address an area of need, and came up lacking. And, no, when put into coverage situations, he was terrible. He was much better when given a chance to play near the line and become, effectively, a LBer. Could he fill that role again? Apparently Jones is not interested in finding out. There are a lot of guys who are busting their butts to make the team. Why keep a guy around who is a quitter?   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"The Green Bay Packers opened their mandatory minicamp Tuesday morning and safety Josh Jones appeared on the practice field with his teammates.

Jones was on the sidelines and it appeared he would not be participating in Tuesday's session."

8b65080a-7940-43d4-8b0a-04b5866f95ee.jpe

Edited by Shanedorf

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"The Green Bay Packers opened their mandatory minicamp Tuesday morning and safety Josh Jones appeared on the practice field with his teammates.

Jones was on the sidelines and it appeared he would not be participating in Tuesday's session."

To add a little to this .. the Packers reportedly told him they do not plan to trade him at this time.

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41066976-4

Edited by {Family Ghost}

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Let him rot. You can't give the impression that the inmates can run the asylum

I'm more inclined to get him thicker pads and put him inside full time.  Let him crack and shed for the entirety of the pre-season.  If he ups his game and rises to the challenge, then he's earned his spot.

But I'm kindda done with him trying to cover space down the field right now.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm more inclined to get him thicker pads and put him inside full time.  Let him crack and shed for the entirety of the pre-season.  If he ups his game and rises to the challenge, then he's earned his spot.

But I'm kindda done with him trying to cover space down the field right now.  

Yeah, I don't think he can cover anything.  His most impressive moments have clearly been when he played up close to the line of scrimmage.  I wouldn't give him the trade out of town unless someone wants to really make it worth our while.  He would be more valuable inside and on special teams than someone giveaway deal.

On 5/23/2019 at 6:52 AM, boratt said:

He has no trade value. Time for Gutey to make an example out of Jones. Don’t give him an inch. Let him retire if he wants to. 

I agree Jones has little to no value in trade talks. Play better first Jones.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, I don't think he can cover anything.  His most impressive moments have clearly been when he played up close to the line of scrimmage.  I wouldn't give him the trade out of town unless someone wants to really make it worth our while.  He would be more valuable inside and on special teams than someone giveaway deal.

The problem with this for me, is that in my brief preliminary glance at him in a few games, he was actually worse overall at LB.  I need to work through more of his film in a real way, but...well it's not good.