Josh Jones wants to be traded

snackattack

Jones is another 30th percentile NFL player. That's this fanbase's least favorite kind of player. Good enough to see the field, bad enough to see some genuine lowlights, and playing a position that if played well isn't going to be seen much. 

Jones isn't a great cover guy, but you guys talk about him like he's a straight scrub. Here's not THAT bad. He's a role player, good enough in one role and a liability if asked to do much else. 

If Amos gets hurt, we would miss him. Already it means we're putting more on Burks and potentially Tramon. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jones is another 30th percentile NFL player. That's this fanbase's least favorite kind of player. Good enough to see the field, bad enough to see some genuine lowlights, and playing a position that if played well isn't going to be seen much. 

Jones isn't a great cover guy, but you guys talk about him like he's a straight scrub. Here's not THAT bad. He's a role player, good enough in one role and a liability if asked to do much else. 

If Amos gets hurt, we would miss him. Already it means we're putting more on Burks and potentially Tramon. 

Think I gotta start my Jones film watch soon.  I just really don't have a strong sense of him as a player at all.  But I agree with the core point here; Jones is not a garbage player and you could do so much worse for a guy who's primary role is in the dime this year.  

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

And cheap. But that's not the problem now. I thought he could be a Richardson type player, but better. Now you have a role player who may bring locker room issues. Actually, he already has. Gute is between a rock and a hard place. Trade him and every player knows they can just act out if they want a trade. Keep him and Gute risks the locker room issues he has shown to not tolerate. Jones is marginal enough to make an example of. Let him rot on the bench, play special teams and unceremoniously cut him in the off season

Edited by cannondale

From 247 Sports

“I’m not a linebacker.
Y’all can get that out of your head. You can stop writing about that. That’s not going to happen,” Jones said.

* Nice use of Y'all is always appreciated here in the Titletown forum

• Like 2

So I am a new guy on this forum and do not pretend to have the knowledge and experience so many of the great posters do who regularly contribute. But maybe a perspective from the peanut gallery has a little value. Jones has made it clear he wants to start or be traded. His approach to date has been to avoid voluntary camp, complain in the media, dismiss a viable player position he could fill, and to arrive with a questionable injury. Maybe I am missing something, but isn't the best answer for him for both alternatives summarized in four words?...Get healthy. Play better.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From 247 Sports

“I’m not a linebacker.
Y’all can get that out of your head. You can stop writing about that. That’s not going to happen,” Jones said.

* Nice use of Y'all is always appreciated here in the Titletown forum

Coffin, meet nail

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not sure Jones would be the first man up after Amos anyways. Think Greene has the insided track for that spot. 

If Jones isn't playing your cover-backer position (which he apparently is vehemently against), he's hardly even a role player anywhere else. 

14 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Think I gotta start my Jones film watch soon.  I just really don't have a strong sense of him as a player at all.  But I agree with the core point here; Jones is not a garbage player and you could do so much worse for a guy who's primary role is in the dime this year.  

I was literally just thinking "who did I ask to watch Jones" 

From The Athletic

Said Pettine: “He can play the safety spots, whether it’s free or strong, and then we’ve played him at our dime linebacker spot a decent amount. He even played some when we’ve gone against bigger groupings and we played an additional safety at the nickel spot. He’s pretty well-versed in what we do. The knowledge of the system is not an issue.”

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From The Athletic

Said Pettine: “He can play the safety spots, whether it’s free or strong, and then we’ve played him at our dime linebacker spot a decent amount. He even played some when we’ve gone against bigger groupings and we played an additional safety at the nickel spot. He’s pretty well-versed in what we do. The knowledge of the system is not an issue.”

so then what exactly is the issue? Methinks he's frustrated at the fact that they've brought in a ton of guys around him because of his lack of development and, more importantly, he thinks he deserves a better shot due to draft status. 

Also, wasn't Natrell Jamerson being moved back to Safety as well?

3 hours ago, Norm said:

I was literally just thinking "who did I ask to watch Jones" 

Yeah, life has been getting in the way, but things are finally slowing down.  Started the watch yesterday, at some point I'll get my thoughts in here.  Honestly, my first impression from a half of play is that he's a better player than I thought he was.  He got benched in the Bears game (or left due to injury at an awfully convenient time) due to some terrible run support giving up three big plays in a row, but against the Jets in the first half he played his run fits very well and was solid enough in coverage.   Biggest criticism so far is just that he seems lost at times and doesn't seem to read or make anticipation plays, but then again he hasn't gotten the consistent minutes yet either so that's not a surprise.  I'm really interested to see how the rest of this film plays out, because at a very first blush...I kinda get his point that he should be getting more time.

The biggest thing I want to see still is him having to track the ball on a deep shot.  Brice had some good qualities too, but a total inability to find it in the air killed him playing deep.  I actually like Jones playing a little deeper, when you let him take an angle and just run he gets to the ball in a real hurry and with some authority, but if he can't track the ball that won't work for the same reason.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Yeah, life has been getting in the way, but things are finally slowing down.  Started the watch yesterday, at some point I'll get my thoughts in here.  Honestly, my first impression from a half of play is that he's a better player than I thought he was.  He got benched in the Bears game (or left due to injury at an awfully convenient time) due to some terrible run support giving up three big plays in a row, but against the Jets in the first half he played his run fits very well and was solid enough in coverage.   Biggest criticism so far is just that he seems lost at times and doesn't seem to read or make anticipation plays, but then again he hasn't gotten the consistent minutes yet either so that's not a surprise.  I'm really interested to see how the rest of this film plays out, because at a very first blush...I kinda get his point that he should be getting more time.

The biggest thing I want to see still is him having to track the ball on a deep shot.  Brice had some good qualities too, but a total inability to find it in the air killed him playing deep.  I actually like Jones playing a little deeper, when you let him take an angle and just run he gets to the ball in a real hurry and with some authority, but if he can't track the ball that won't work for the same reason.

Really appreciate it. Thanks. I know how it goes with being busy. I'd never find the time to do this let alone half the stuff I should be doing

13 hours ago, Joe said:

so then what exactly is the issue? Methinks he's frustrated at the fact that they've brought in a ton of guys around him because of his lack of development and, more importantly, he thinks he deserves a better shot due to draft status. 

Also, wasn't Natrell Jamerson being moved back to Safety as well?

My guess is he wants to play 30 yards from the LOS and cherry pick deflections and overthrows like his buddy HaHa.  I'm sure he thinks that's the best way to fame and fortune. Problem is - he can't do it as well as he thinks he can.  I'm sure he gets beat up pretty good inside too.

• Like 1