Josh Jones wants to be traded

snackattack

On 6/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, Joe said:

so then what exactly is the issue? Methinks he's frustrated at the fact that they've brought in a ton of guys around him because of his lack of development and, more importantly, he thinks he deserves a better shot due to draft status. 

Also, wasn't Natrell Jamerson being moved back to Safety as well?

Almost certainly attitude.  Two games into his film and he's shown nothing that would make you think they'd keep him on the bench.  His tackling is a bit shoddy but Brice's was worse and he still saw the field over Jones.  He gets a little lost in coverage at times but so do plenty of safeties, and he actually does a nice job of staying home and playing his responsibilities.  There was a great play against the Seahawks where it was a pitch to Lockett that was supposed to be either a pass back to Wilson or a downfield shot, but he never threw it because there was no one open.  Biggest reason there was no one open?  Jones showed a ton of restraint and stayed in his zone on the far side of the field, and when the crossing route got there he was all over it.  In general his coverage was good in the first half of that game (haven't gotten to the second half), had another play where he blanketed Lockett 1v1 on a go route from the slot, not an easy task.  Honestly, he puts more good film out there than bad, but the bad is almost always really damning because it's something you can't have a professional NFL player do.  He was partially responsible for giving up a TD to the Jets because he half-assed it across the field thinking Blake had the tackle and was too far when Blake didn't make the play.  This happens kind of a lot with Jones.  He does his responsibility but rarely exceeds it, and worse it honestly looks like he has very little interest in exceeding it.  He jogs to the play if he thinks someone else will make it, he's a willing tackler but I haven't seem him put any kind of hit on anyone yet, etc.

Probably the best example though is his blitzes; holy cow Jones is an impressively awful blitzer.  For a guy with his size/speed combo, it's shocking how utterly pointless it is to ever send him.  He runs into the first person he sees and stops.  Doesn't matter if it's a tackle, a TE, a RB, the water boy, etc., they're locking Jones up like they're Walter Jones.  Worse, it frequently looks like Jones is afraid to make the contact on the blitz.  This is something HHCD was terrible about by the end of his time here (worth noting it was a strength early on in his career, sooooo... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).  He had such a reputation as a tough guy coming out, I feel like it has to be a poor attitude about his role.  Or maybe it's just different in the pros, but regardless, it's baffling to me the holes in his game given the player he was coming out.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 3

I can't think of many reasons why I should be overly concerned one way or the other about Jones unless he becomes a problem in the locker room.  It's fine to have Jones as part of the 53, but he doesn't seem especially likely to be claiming a starting spot.  Given the recent additions, I'm not even sure where that starting spot would be. 

38 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I can't think of many reasons why I should be overly concerned one way or the other about Jones unless he becomes a problem in the locker room.  It's fine to have Jones as part of the 53, but he doesn't seem especially likely to be claiming a starting spot.  Given the recent additions, I'm not even sure where that starting spot would be. 

This is fair. Jones is better than people think but there's not a chance I give him reps before Savage or Amos, and even in the dime I'd take Tramon and Jackson before Jones sees the field. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

moot. mooooooottt.

No. It's moo. Because nobody cares about the opinion of a cow

Edit: lol I can't tell if you think I was serious or not with that correction

Edited by Norm