Sign in to follow this  
swede700

Obsession of Thrones' Annihilation Edition (OTAs)

I think that the investment that the Vikings made in Browning as an UDFA gives a good indication that they believe Sloter’s development has gone well, and he’s he’s ready to be QB2. 

37 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Beebe's making the team: 

Zylstra, Taylor and Badet were out today, to put that in context. 

No mention of Treadwell.

Treadwell hasn't been mentioned at any time, period, this entire offseason program.  

Does Treadwell have any trade value at this point?

He's been worse than Troy Williamson.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I would have traded him last year for a half eaten bag of stale Cheetos. Not sure if the Vikings could have gotten than for him last year, but I don't think his value has went up any since then. Still, it is possible that a team would be willing to take a flyer on him. The guaranteed salary might scare other teams off. The Vikings might have to agree to pay some of that to offload him.

In reality, the likely move is the Vikings cut Treadwell and hope that another team signs him for the vet minimum so that much of Treadwell's guaranteed salary can be taken off the Vikings books. I can't say I am sure what the offset language is in Treadwell's contract but rookie contracts usually contain offset language that allows team's to reduce guaranteed payments by the amount a player makes with another team.

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

I would have traded him last year for a half eaten bag of stale Cheetos. Not sure if the Vikings could have gotten than for him last year, but I don't think his value has went up any since then. Still, it is possible that a team would be willing to take a flyer on him. The guaranteed salary might scare other teams off. The Vikings might have to agree to pay some of that to offload him.

In reality, the likely move is the Vikings cut Treadwell and hope that another team signs him for the vet minimum so that much of Treadwell's guaranteed salary can be taken off the Vikings books. I can't say I am sure what the offset language is in Treadwell's contract but rookie contracts usually contain offset language that allows team's to reduce guaranteed payments by the amount a player makes with another team.

Well that doesn't sound good.

I wonder if there is any teams out there that would take a mid round pick for one of their top 3 receivers 

Like Robby Anderson. He'd be a good fit here.

18 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Nothing will ever be worse than this:

While we expected more of Laquon, he's still not the massive disappointment that was Troy Williamson.  Fortunately for Laquon, the team is in the position where they didn't have to rely on Laquon's success to carry them, like Troy.  Even with Laquon's failure, they have Diggs and Thielen.  With Troy's massive failure, they were left with guys like Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, and Bobby Wade to float them by.  They were able to get Sidney Rice, but he wasn't very good either until Favre came by.  

Four offensive coordinators, and four playbooks in four years has to be very tough on a very young player.

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2019 at 11:52 AM, SemperFeist said:

Four offensive coordinators, and four playbooks in four years has to be very tough on a very young player.

It sure is. Just making the jump to the NFL is tough enough. Some players can rise to the challenge while others just don't have what it takes.

Stefon Diggs was a 5th round pick just a year earlier so has experienced most of the same changes in the NFL. He was able to deal with it. The jump to the NFL was too much for Treadwell given the rest of the circumstances. It is likely that the jump alone was too much for him. He showed way less as a rookie than you would want any first round pick to show; that was before all the rest of the changes happened.

Edited by Cearbhall

The “top 10 takeaways from the offseason program” article on the Vikings site has some interesting details: https://www.vikings.com/news/top-10-takeaways-from-vikings-offseason-program

1. They kept the OL teams together, using this depth chart:

In the 13 spring practices, the second-team offensive line consisted of: left tackle Aviante Collins, left guard Dakota Dozier, center Brett Jones, right guard Danny Isidora and right tackle Rashod Hill. The third unit was, from left to right, Storm Norton, John Keenoy, Cornelius Edison, Dru Samia and Olisaemeka Udoh.

So Collins is being used as a tackle, not at guard, and the day 3 drafted rookies are so far on the 3rd team.

2. Kubiak and Stefanski are “blending ideas” to come up with a “Minnesota offense”, which is described as

It appears that the offense will be designed to capitalize on versatile running backs, be more committed to establishing the run early in games and then utilizing play-action passes to play to the strengths of quarterback Kirk Cousins, whom Kubiak said “plays the game on the move really, really well.”

Kubiak in a recent interview mentioned Stefanski having other experience with West Coast concepts dating back to Childress.

3. Taylor and Beebe are the front runners for WR3, no surprise.

4. They’ll use a lot of multiple TE sets. Smith, Conklin and Morgan all missed time this spring (it was announced Morgan had arthroscopic knee surgery) but are expected to be ready for camp

7. Beebe, Taylor and Holton Hill are mentioned specifically among the many players trying out for the PR role. KR is never mentioned as a battle, which I guess means it’s Abdullah’s job to lose.

8. RB depth chart is “stacked”. Abdullah is given the spotlight here. He did play ahead of Boone later in the year last year so I guess the RB3 job is his to lose, especially if he’s the KR. 

I wonder if they’ll keep Boone too. Maybe they’ll keep 4 RBs and not keep a FB, if Smith and Morgan can lead block for the few times they’d need Ham to do it (he averaged 9 snaps per game last year, and contributed basically nothing in the pass game). 

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

I wonder if they’ll keep Boone too. Maybe they’ll keep 4 RBs and not keep a FB, if Smith and Morgan can lead block for the few times they’d need Ham to do it (he averaged 9 snaps per game last year, and contributed basically nothing in the pass game). 

I would say that's highly unlikely. While Ham averaged just 9 offensive snaps per game, he averaged double that on special teams. Meanwhile, Boone played even less on special teams than he did on offense last year.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Klomp said:

I would say that's highly unlikely. While Ham averaged just 9 offensive snaps per game, he averaged double that on special teams. Meanwhile, Boone played even less on special teams than he did on offense last year.

Fair enough. 

Ham was solid on special teams but it's not like he did anything so specific (like being a returner, or a gunner) that he should get a roster spot for that reason alone. If they can get by with an H-back as a lead blocker, they might prefer to keep a 6th WR or 4th RB or 10th OL, even someone for developmental purposes (like Udoh) who would otherwise have to go to the PS. 

I wasn't impressed with Ham on offense last year. He was a mediocre lead blocker and added little in the passing game -- had a number of targets that he either dropped or caught for basically no gain. 

Ideally, a Kubiak FB can be an effective receiving target, especially for screen passes. Smith (as a H-back / F-back) seems like the most obvious player to put in that role. Maybe Ham will do better at it this year. 

Another option at FB would be Khari Blasingame, a UDFA rookie this year. He's a LB converted to RB (in college) and now to FB. I think @battle2heaven originally compared him to Kyle Jusczyzk of the Niners. Jusczyzk is more of a TE size while Blasingame is a big RB (like Ham). Blasingame like Jusczyzk is a great athlete and can be very effective as a receiver on screens, at least as far I can tell from his college highlights.  

The speed Blasingame shows here is unlike anything we’ve seen from Ham:

Edited by Krauser

42 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Ham was solid on special teams but it's not like he did anything so specific (like being a returner, or a gunner) that he should get a roster spot for that reason alone.