Bills TE Tyler Kroft breaks foot

RaidersAreOne

Well the intentions of bringing in McCarron to compete for starter and be there for 2 years was also said by Mcdermott and Beane and look how that worked out? Keep in mind they signed kroft knowing they needed a TE as the trade options werent available at the time, as it was a sellers market and the draft still has yet to happen. If the bills did trade for Rudolph then kroft would be the odd man out your not going to keep more then 4 TEs on the squad with Lee and Sweeney are mainly blockers and knox a rookie needing time to be polished. Vikings only have a mil in cap space and Rudolph wants an extension, with them drafting Irv Smith in the 2nd round it looks likely that he is a cap casualty, if Beane and McDermott feel that he would be a great piece to the team then I do not see them paying Kroft, Rudolph, and Lee the money they are assigned too. This whole discussion is moot if they do not trade for Rudolph. Ill just say this I will take Rudolph over Kroft if the option does present itself and I am sure they have been in discussions about whether or not they would make a trade for him.

Apparently Jason Croom was injured yesterday and no new news on his injury as to what happened. Whether its a big injury or not are the bills really comfortable going in to week 1 of the season with Knox being the starting TE receiver? 

Edited by soflbillsfan

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well the intentions of bringing in McCarron to compete for starter and be there for 2 years was also said by Mcdermott and Beane and look how that worked out? Keep in mind they signed kroft knowing they needed a TE as the trade options werent available at the time, as it was a sellers market and the draft still has yet to happen. If the bills did trade for Rudolph then kroft would be the odd man out your not going to keep more then 4 TEs on the squad with Lee and Sweeney are mainly blockers and knox a rookie needing time to be polished. Vikings only have a mil in cap space and Rudolph wants an extension, with them drafting Irv Smith in the 2nd round it looks likely that he is a cap casualty, if Beane and McDermott feel that he would be a great piece to the team then I do not see them paying Kroft, Rudolph, and Lee the money they are assigned too. This whole discussion is moot if they do not trade for Rudolph. Ill just say this I will take Rudolph over Kroft if the option does present itself and I am sure they have been in discussions about whether or not they would make a trade for him.

The only reason McCarron was traded was because a team was dumb enough to give us a 5th. Trading a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out Peterman and Allen is not the same as cutting your number 1 TE which is exactly where they have Kroft penciled in. 

Not sure why Sweeney seems like a lock for the roster for you. He'll have to out perform DiMarco on special teams and be enough of a receiving threat for the Bills to want to keep 4 TE's. 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

The only reason McCarron was traded was because a team was dumb enough to give us a 5th. Trading a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out Peterman and Allen is not the same as cutting your number 1 TE which is exactly where they have Kroft penciled in. 

Not sure why Sweeney seems like a lock for the roster for you. He'll have to out perform DiMarco on special teams and be enough of a receiving threat for the Bills to want to keep 4 TE's. 

well if you trade for rudolph then kroft is clearly no longer the #1 TE in the group thats been my argument, I never said to cut kroft without an actual replacement....Sweeney was drafted and usually their draft picks stay on, he may not be a lock though. He isnt a receiving threat and is coming in to be strictly a  blocking TE if he proves himself in camp of doing that job he would stick around long term while Lee loses out next offseason, as his contract is essentially a 1 year deal as well, even though he signed on for multiple years. If not then i could see sweeney going to p-squad and them keeping croom. Its either you go in to the year with Croom, Knox, Lee, Sweeney with Kroft on PUP list and then let go of Sweeney, Lee or Croom at that time and activate Kroft (my guess is going to be week 6 for his return) or you make the trade for Rudolph have the season start with Rudolph, Knox, Lee, and either Sweeney or Croom and Kroft on the Pup list. If Knox isnt showing that he is progressing by week 6 then you keep kroft and let go of croom sweeney or lee at that time when you activate kroft. If you see Knox progressing as a #2 Te then you let kroft go with an injury settlement which is essentially the guaranteed money he is due. 

The short answer here is that Rudolph would make us a better team. Period. It wouldn't bother me to see both he and Kroft kept. Beane says he wants competition. To me that means we keep as much quality as we can. Sweeney or Croom could easily be expendable, just depends whether the FO would prefer the depth to have blocking or receiving skills.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 11:58 AM, soflbillsfan said:

Apparently Jason Croom was injured yesterday and no new news on his injury as to what happened. Whether its a big injury or not are the bills really comfortable going in to week 1 of the season with Knox being the starting TE receiver? 

Well if i remember correctly Croom's injury isn't bad and he is expected back by training camp. And Kroft is expected to be back by preseason even if it was. Not to mention Lee Smith was signed. Our depth at the TE position is much better than it's been in recent years.

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Well if i remember correctly Croom's injury isn't bad and he is expected back by training camp. And Kroft is expected to be back by preseason even if it was. Not to mention Lee Smith was signed. Our depth at the TE position is much better than it's been in recent years.

Croom reinjured his hamstring those things can be an issue but i see him the odd man out anyways unless the bills plan on holding on to 5 TEs. Where do you see that Kroft will be back for preseason? Hes expected to miss 4 months for recovery, that puts him mid september to be fully healed. Then to get back in training and on the field practicing your expecting October at best. I expect to see him placed on PUP and to be able to become activated week 6, croom may stick on because of this and then someone let go once he is activated. I was hoping they make a move for Rudolph who has been a consistent and reliable big target the bills could get for Allen and to put pressure off KNox from having to perform immediately. This would then look to allow the bills from moving on from Kroft if he is unable to recover from this injury as it happened again and he had 7.5 months to have surgery and recovery and it only took 1 day of OTAs for it to be reinjured. As for Lee he came in strictly to block and every once and awhile go out for a pass but in no way is he expected to be an impact outside of protecting Allen. Sweeney was drafted for the same reason. Leaving only a healthy Knox who is still raw and Croom who is between 70-80% healthy as receiving te projected to open the season as of right now. 

6 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

My projected TE situation:

Jason Croom - Main Roster

Dawson Knox - Main Roster

Lee Smith - Main Roster

Tyler Kroft - PUP

Tommy Sweeney - Practice Squad

When Kroft is healthy, I wouldn't be surprised to see us carry 4 TE

I definitely agree they carry 4 TEs this year, my only argument is if they traded for Rudolph then things would get murky as to who stays and who goes depending on Training Camp. I would have put Kroft out if Croom or Sweeney showed promise as it wouldnt cost the bills much money to let him go and free up cap space now and next offseason. Some can argue that if it is a clean break then he wont have that issue anymore which is not the case. A guy who is 200 pounds plus running around for a living on that foot can cause constant issues soft or hard injury it is not good especially when he had 9 months to fix it the 1st time. Im just  not sure if bills staff are looking to make that move to get Rudolph until some guys are back to 100% like Bodine and Morse to make a move like that if minnesota is still looking to move him. One thing that does concern me is the Patriots coming away with him as they just cut ASJ and a big part of their offense was relying on gronk. Rudolph is no Gronk but he is a nice consolation prize. He is a top 5 receiving TE the past few years in number of receptions he has had. He isnt going to carry an offense but he will definitely be a solid contributor that you can rely on. 

15 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I definitely agree they carry 4 TEs this year, my only argument is if they traded for Rudolph then things would get murky as to who stays and who goes depending on Training Camp. I would have put Kroft out if Croom or Sweeney showed promise as it wouldnt cost the bills much money to let him go and free up cap space now and next offseason. Some can argue that if it is a clean break then he wont have that issue anymore which is not the case. A guy who is 200 pounds plus running around for a living on that foot can cause constant issues soft or hard injury it is not good especially when he had 9 months to fix it the 1st time. Im just  not sure if bills staff are looking to make that move to get Rudolph until some guys are back to 100% like Bodine and Morse to make a move like that if minnesota is still looking to move him. One thing that does concern me is the Patriots coming away with him as they just cut ASJ and a big part of their offense was relying on gronk. Rudolph is no Gronk but he is a nice consolation prize. He is a top 5 receiving TE the past few years in number of receptions he has had. He isnt going to carry an offense but he will definitely be a solid contributor that you can rely on. 

I had the same concerns after the Pats cut ASJ. How about they get Rudolph and we get Kittle?!? Yeah, I know - wishful thinking. Seriously, though...they went after ASJ and brought back Watson, which means they were willing to address that TE position with multiple players. What's to stop them from trying again? I also wonder if Bean would ever get into a bidding war with another team? Normally, I would be guarded against doing that, but if it also takes away a weapon from someone in our division... I could live with that depending on the long term, guaranteed cost.

8 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

I had the same concerns after the Pats cut ASJ. How about they get Rudolph and we get Kittle?!? Yeah, I know - wishful thinking. Seriously, though...they went after ASJ and brought back Watson, which means they were willing to address that TE position with multiple players. What's to stop them from trying again? I also wonder if Bean would ever get into a bidding war with another team? Normally, I would be guarded against doing that, but if it also takes away a weapon from someone in our division... I could live with that depending on the long term, guaranteed cost.

i dont see why the niners would trade kittle they arent in a cap crisis and need him on offense for jimmy g? Not sure what bean would do, i think he would like to better the team anyway he can to an extent but wont over do it. You can see that with all these contracts they have put in place allowing to cut almost anyone after 1-2 years. He isnt  like Whaley where he throws a ton of money at these guys and overpays just to bring bigger names to Buffalo, Bean seems to be more like the Pats a system guy where you plug and play players.

Pats are going to either push for another TE maybe Rudolph or they have some form of inside info that Gronk will show up after some spring training is done. I just like the idea of Rudolph coming to Buffalo I think he is an overall better option for Allen then Kroft is. Nothing against Kroft but Rudolph has been a consistent player for them and that would benefit Allens production.

13 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

i dont see why the niners would trade kittle they arent in a cap crisis and need him on offense for jimmy g? Not sure what bean would do, i think he would like to better the team anyway he can to an extent but wont over do it. You can see that with all these contracts they have put in place allowing to cut almost anyone after 1-2 years. He isnt  like Whaley where he throws a ton of money at these guys and overpays just to bring bigger names to Buffalo, Bean seems to be more like the Pats a system guy where you plug and play players.

Pats are going to either push for another TE maybe Rudolph or they have some form of inside info that Gronk will show up after some spring training is done. I just like the idea of Rudolph coming to Buffalo I think he is an overall better option for Allen then Kroft is. Nothing against Kroft but Rudolph has been a consistent player for them and that would benefit Allens production.

Was totally joking about Kittle. He isn't going anywhere...top 2 TE in the league.

The serious comment was the idea that I'd be OK with getting into a bidding war with the Pats to get Rudolph. Like I said before, I'd still keep Kroft and Rudolph absolutely makes us a better team.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, next year we try to address this...unless we got very lucky in the draft!

I think KNox will get it done, i dont see him being amazing but he will be serviceable and a long term answer for this team. The issue is a new TE coming in to the league has a tough time adjusting right away and needs time to develop. Bringing in Rudolph would have allowed Knox to learn everything without the pressure of having to be an impact week 1. I wonder if the vikes werent comfortable having Irv Smith Jr be the starter and decided to continue with rudolph in case he flops.