Everything OTA's

RaidersAreOne

On 6/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, SBLIII said:

Pete Prisco reporting that Daniel Jones is turning heads and may replace Eli already this season. Really hope this is true. The amount of people having to crow if Jones turns into a stud would be a sight.

But is he the next Aaron Rodgers? Literally every time a team drafts a first round QB they are the next big thing.

Case in point: Blake Bortles

Pete Prisco reporting that Daniel Jones is turning heads and may replace Eli already this season. Really hope this is true. The amount of people having to crow if Jones turns into a stud would be a sight.

Any draft pick can turn into a stud, just because people think a player is overdrafted and he eventually turns into a great player doesn't mean they were wrong about his draft position. If a team drafted Tom Brady in the 2nd round when they obviously could have had him much later that selection would be mocked. Obviously worth it in the end but it's a gamble overdrafting players, at least at the popular opinion of said overdraft, it is going to let you down more times than not. I'm sure he will see some action this year. The Eli led Giants aren't likely to have a winning record so may as well see what the Jones led Giants can do.

Only thing less Impressive then a Rookie QB so called "impressing" people in OTA's without a pass rush, actual Defense being played, 7 on 7 Drills. Is doing similar things in Underwear at the combine.

Seriously,  what else are they going to say, report? I'd hope he's looking good in shorts? If not, Jesus!

On 05/06/2019 at 10:54 PM, SBLIII said:

1. Pete Prisco
  2. OTA's
  3. Daniel Jones looking better than the corpse of Eli Manning

=

Those haters must now eat crow

• Like 4

14 hours ago, bananabucket said:

OTAs mean absolutely nothing of course....  but IF Jones was as good as Eli, he would be a top 20 QB already.  I think they would take that.

Borderline top 20 which is also borderline bottom 10. If he can complete 2/3 of his passes and have a 2/1 TD/INT ratio like Eli did last year yes they would take that. If it was Eli over the last 6 years with 149 TD and 95 INT and 62% completions... eh it would be okay for a rookie but you wouldn't want that long term.

I liked Daniel Jones a lot. I was sad he went to the Giants because they are a cesspool and I hate New York. Plus @Gmen deserves to suffer through some rough football. Jones is going to be good, but taking him at #6 overall ahead of Dwayne Haskins seemed like a big reach to me.

I believe in Daniel Jones. He's crazy tough, he has a good arm despite popular belief, and is incredibly smart. He had the worst supporting cast in the world at Duke that even playing with the bums that Gettleman has thrown together in New York will be an incredible boost for him. His OL caused him to get murdered for 4 quarters in just about every single game he played in, especially late in his college career. The Giants had a really good 1st round of draft selections if you ask me. Jones was overdrafted only because I liked Haskins more, but I could easily see him becoming a franchise QB. He became the "in" QB to hate on, which happens in just about every draft class. Truth be told, he, along with Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson in previous drafts, were much better than the armchair scouts thought they would be. Even Mahomes got a lot of hate from a lot of people. 99% of people have no idea what goes into making a good NFL QB. One idiot spits out an idiotic opinion and everyone hops on the idiot bandwagon of hatred. It builds up steam and people don't take the time to actually scout these prospects. They go into it with an incredibly biased POV and it burns them. More times than not.

• Like 1

It doesn’t make sense for Daniel Jones to sit on the bench IMO. The Giants team is very young and completely rebuilt, particularly on defense. They aren’t going anywhere this year, so they might as well let Jones get his lumps out of the way, and hopefully in the following year or two the Giants have something going with Saquon, Jones, Engram and a young defense

30 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I like Daniel Jones. I get people don't like the pick at six, but - if he's your guy, take him.

Yep, this has been my opinion for a long time now.  Predraft 2017 everyone was predicting Jonathan Allen or Jamal Adam's to the Bears at 3.  I said the whole time (speaking about Watson, bc he was my guy in that draft), you dont get cute w/the QB.  If you have a chance to take the top QB on your board, you take him, pundits be damned about overdraft.  Doesnt mean the evaluation is right, only time and play bares that out, but you take your QB when you get the chance...period.  Saquon is right, if he becomes a top 10 QB winning SuperBowls, nobody is going to care that the Giants drafted him at 6 and could have got him at 17.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I like Daniel Jones. I get people don't like the pick at six, but - if he's your guy, take him.

That logic is sound.  The hate I'm piling on with is the idea that he's the one you pick as the guy.  And as a fellow Daniel who went to a college with better academics than athletics, I really wanted to like him as a prospect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

It doesn’t make sense for Daniel Jones to sit on the bench IMO.

I agree. Throw the young buck out there.

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

The Giants team is very young

Yes.

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

and completely rebuilt, particularly on defense.

Huh? You guys still need to find a #1 WR, 1-2 more starting OL, at least another starting pass rusher, at least 1 new starting ILB, a CB, and a safety. Your roster is not rebuilt. Also, this is assuming that guys like Daniel Jones and Lorenzo Carter actually pan out. 

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

They aren’t going anywhere this year

Correct

7 hours ago, Gmen said:

so they might as well let Jones get his lumps out of the way, and hopefully in the following year or two the Giants have something going with Saquon, Jones, Engram and a young defense

Agreed. I don't buy the adage that QB's learn from sitting. They learn from experience IMO.