He didn't ALWAYS run the wrong way...All Hail Jim Marshall

19 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But, Marshall just seems to be overshadowed because of the era he played in, which was a very deep era of talent.   

And era should come into play when it comes to qualification, as well. Marshall was a good player, no doubt. But if he was the 7th or 8th best player at his position, during his era, then I can’t call him a Hall of Famer. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And era should come into play when it comes to qualification, as well. Marshall was a good player, no doubt. But if he was the 7th or 8th best player at his position, during his era, then I can’t call him a Hall of Famer. 

That's similar to what I usually use as my argument for HOFers.  I usually say that if they can't be considered as a top-5 player at his position anytime during his era, then he's not a HOFer.  It's why I've continually said that Isaac Bruce is not a HOFer. 

I can't really speak to Jim Marshall, because I didn't watch him play.  I used to think there's no reason he shouldn't be in, but I understand the arguments as to why he's not.  I do think, however, that his durability (along with his leadership) should be a factor because of the era he played in.  Now, how much of a factor that should be is up for debate.  But, often his contemporaries have said he should be in.  That's more of a qualifier than just stats alone.  

Jim Marshall's disqualifications for HOF consideration:

1. He ran the wrong way on one play

2. He never drew attention to himself

3. He ONLY made 270 consecutive starts and ONLY played in 282 games

4. He ONLY recovered 30 fumbles an NFL Record

5. He ONLY had 127 career QB sacks as a Viking

6. It's because he was a great lineman that teams had to worry about, that allowed Eller and Page to pick up more sacks than he.

7. I would argue that the Vikings don't go to 4 Super Bowls if Jim Marshall wasn't playing.

14 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Jim Marshall's disqualifications for HOF consideration:

1. He ran the wrong way on one play

2. He never drew attention to himself

3. He ONLY made 270 consecutive starts and ONLY played in 282 games

4. He ONLY recovered 30 fumbles an NFL Record

5. He ONLY had 127 career QB sacks as a Viking

6. It's because he was a great lineman that teams had to worry about, that allowed Eller and Page to pick up more sacks than he.

7. I would argue that the Vikings don't go to 4 Super Bowls if Jim Marshall wasn't playing.

8. He kept people from dying, burning money in the process to keep them warm.

i guess if negative off the field behavior doesn't come in to HOF consideration, then positive  behavior shouldn't either. but what other players did that?