Who is poised to be your teams breakout player?

RaidersAreOne

Just now, August4th said:

this is more of wishful thinking, but james washington for the steelers. he showed some signs of life late in the season.

This is who I was going to say as well. I think there's a realistic possibility there. He's got tons of talent but I think he just had some mental issues at the beginning of the season. I think of year of maturing into his role and gaining some confidence will do him good.

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Hard to say for the 49ers. They all have questions in my opinion. I think some would pick Thomas, but I think he's going to be a rotational player and I don't know how much of a "breakout" he's going to have, and I'm still not sure if h'es any good. 

Witherspoon could...consistency is his biggest problem. When he's good, he's good. But he's got some pretty bad valleys. 

If I had to pick, it's probably Dante Pettis...but he's got to stay healthy, and he has to make some tough catches. Those are two big things. But his release, breaks and route running are all legit. I think he could be a Keenan Allen type of player. 

I was going to go Witherspoon.

I feel like Pettis pretty much already shined late in the season so he won't really be breaking out, just continuing his play. And his numbers aren't going to be crazy in this offense.

If not Witherspoon, I'll go with Solomon Thomas. 

18 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Rasul Douglas. Played great down the stretch when the eagles suddenly weren't garbage. I think he will start all year. 

9bgtimr45oy21.jpg

Dude needs to play more, I still think he'd excel even more at Safety but yeah.

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

John Johnson III safety for the Rams. He's the one who picked off Brees to seal the NFCCG. Guy will have an offseason with Eric Weddle and really expect him to be a pro bowler in his 3rd year.

JJIII is one of my very favorite players in the league. When he was drafted, I was like "Who the heck?!" Very pleasantly surprised in his play as a rookie, and he was hands-down the Rams' top safety last year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was going to go Witherspoon.

I feel like Pettis pretty much already shined late in the season so he won't really be breaking out, just continuing his play. And his numbers aren't going to be crazy in this offense.

If not Witherspoon, I'll go with Solomon Thomas. 

That's my concern with Pettis as well - I said that in another thread that it's really hard to gauge what a breakout would be because I'm unsure of if you're looking for specific numbers or what. He's certainly not going to be putting up 1300 yards or anything. 

Personally, I think spoon is a good candidate. It's all about consistency there, and the improved pass rush should certainly help make him look a little better. The problem with Thomas is kind of similar to the same as Pettis - will he get the necessary snaps (and the necessary position) for him to "break out" in the manner that people tend to associate with "break outs". It's just very subjective in that regard. Like, if he has 5 sacks, plays well against the run, I think that's going to be a tremendous season for him, particularly if he's still spending some time out on  the edge and rotating on the interior with Buck and Armstead and only getting a 50% snap share. But most people wouldn't consider that "breaking out", but it could be. 

On 5/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, Daimonas said:

True. But I guess I should have added that I believe Maddox has great instincts. The guy always seems to be around the ball whenever it is in the air. 

Maddox was awful in the playoffs.

Offense was mentioned so I’ll go with Jaire Alexander. Hardly a breakout since he was incredibly good as a rookie but I fully expect him to remind fans of this team of Charles Woodson (not saying he’ll be that good but shades of him) sooner rather than later