Chad Thomas Haters come on in

mistakey

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Thomas was overdrafted. I was surprised Sheldrick Redwine didn't go earlier. He's good dude.

That's fair. Perhaps I shouldn't have lumped him in there with Thomas. It just felt like more of the same, but I am definitely taking a wait and see with Redwine, even though the testing numbers and production metrics left much to be desired.

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

How are we stacking up the opinions of prospects? We have no idea what goes on in the scouting room, what they look for, and etc. 

I hate the ideal of revisionist history. Just because player A played great for team A doesn’t mean player A would play great for Team B, C, D, or E. We have seen quite a few guys struggle with some teams and suck with others. Like Cook, couldn’t break out for the Saints or Pats but becomes a stud for the Rams. To me factors play a role on how a player performs. 

So Thomas needs to go to another team? Because he ain't done boo here.

There is no revisionist history. He was not a good pick, and has not been a good player. There were better players available, by virtually every imaginable ranking. 

Right now, he is David Veikune 2.0 until proven otherwise. 

10 hours ago, buno67 said:

Like Cook, couldn’t break out for the Saints or Pats but becomes a stud for the Rams. To me factors play a role on how a player performs. 

So 1138 yards and 9 TD isn't breaking out, 1173 yards and 8 TD isn't breaking out and 1082 yards and 7 TD isn't breaking out but 1204 yards and 5 TD is breaking out? All of his seasons look pretty much the same to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

So 1138 yards and 9 TD isn't breaking out, 1173 yards and 8 TD isn't breaking out and 1082 yards and 7 TD isn't breaking out but 1204 yards and 5 TD is breaking out? All of his seasons look pretty much the same to me.

He looks so much worse than those numbers too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Damn I should have done my research. Now I am curious on why the Saints and Pats never held onto him. For some reason I thought he never performed that well for those teams. My bad 

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Damn I should have done my research. Now I am curious on why the Saints and Pats never held onto him. For some reason I thought he never performed that well for those teams. My bad 

Iirc contract demands and attitude.

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

That's fair. Perhaps I shouldn't have lumped him in there with Thomas. It just felt like more of the same, but I am definitely taking a wait and see with Redwine, even though the testing numbers and production metrics left much to be desired.

Not sure about his production, but his testing was pretty good.

4.44, 39” vert and 10’10” broad jump at the combine.  Not bad at all.  In fact...

• Like 2

As a senior he only made 5 plays on the ball. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sheldrick-redwine-1.html

A strong safety class proba lt helped us get him in the 4th as well him being less versatile than randall, being more of a pure safety rather than a legit safety as well as a solid corner.

If he can replace randall and randall can garner us say a 3rd or a 4th it will be a 3d chess/sachi brown wet dream.

9 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

You’re thinking of someone else. Redwine tested fantastically. And he did have a lot of production at Miami. He isn’t as athletic as he timed IMO, but he’s still a + athlete.  This wasn’t a homer pick; we filled a position of need with a playmaker with good athleticism in the 4th round. Redwine was more of a steal than he was a reach. 

21 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

As a senior he only made 5 plays on the ball. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sheldrick-redwine-1.html

A strong safety class proba lt helped us get him in the 4th as well him being less versatile than randall, being more of a pure safety rather than a legit safety as well as a solid corner.

If he can replace randall and randall can garner us say a 3rd or a 4th it will be a 3d chess/sachi brown wet dream.

I watched every Miami game this year except for maybe one of the crappy teams they were going to murder. Sheldrick Redwine was all over the field and while his ball production might not be elite, it is most certainly not a concern. He was very good in coverage and didn’t allow very many completions at all. Additionally, he seemed to be  “Johnny on the spot” and constantly was in position to make a play. I am never going to hold a lack of ball production against a player. Why should they be punished because the quarterback on the other team didn’t throw the football at them? It’s not like he was giving up catches or dropping INTs. 

And well you might think I’m hitting the homer button,  I feel like I give pretty honest feedback about Miami guys. I didn’t like the Chad Thomas pick. I didn’t like Ereck Flowers nor do I like Jonathan Garvin, who is getting 1st round buzz for the 2020 draft. Redwine is going to be good. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I watched every Miami game this year except for maybe one of the crappy teams they were going to murder. Sheldrick Redwine was all over the field and while his ball production might not be elite, it is most certainly not a concern. He was very good in coverage and didn’t allow very many completions at all. Additionally, he seemed to be  “Johnny on the spot” and constantly was in position to make a play. I am never going to hold a lack of ball production against a player. Why should they be punished because the quarterback on the other team didn’t throw the football at them? It’s not like he was giving up catches or dropping INTs. 

And well you might think I’m hitting the homer button,  I feel like I give pretty honest feedback about Miami guys. I didn’t like the Chad Thomas pick. I didn’t like Ereck Flowers nor do I like Jonathan Garvin, who is getting 1st round buzz for the 2020 draft. Redwine is going to be good. 

When I referred to his numbers  it was not to make a strong conclusion, just say what it was I understand that  a secondary player may not get many pds or ints and still have a hell of a year. 

He sure as heck seems like a natural.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Oh and finally, Redwine did play CB at one point and did test well, but I think he’s a SS. He can play either, but I totally expect him to push Burnett out at SS. 

I think they have drafted him as an fa, do you think that will work out?

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think they have drafted him as an fa, do you think that will work out?

Sure. He played FS most of the time at Miami but I just think he’s too good to sit behind Randall and Burnett is all. I would think he could beat out Burnett and not have to play behind Randall is all. Plus he’s a striker. I’d like to see him in the box lighting up RBs. I guess he could do that at FS too though. He’s certainly versatile enough to do either, which is awesome. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Sure. He played FS most of the time at Miami but I just think he’s too good to sit behind Randall and Burnett is all. I would think he could beat out Burnett and not have to play behind Randall is all. Plus he’s a striker. I’d like to see him in the box lighting up RBs. I guess he could do that at FS too though. He’s certainly versatile enough to do either, which is awesome. 

Usually we get one or two players max per draft, it seems like we are going to be hitting on 3-5 each year, it is so freaking awesome.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 2