Jaguars Cut Down to 53

Adrenaline_Flux

9 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What?!? Why? Not like we have depth on the OL anyways

I mean, we kinda have depth there.  It's just like a bunch of low-end clutter though.  A handful of serviceable enough backups...Just lacking quality depth at the top-end.  Ie. Good starters and guys who can step right in as starters if needed.

2 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Like you said in the other thread too, the NFL has an OL problem. It isn't just us (though we may have it worse than most). College OL technique is at an incredible low point and has been for a while. Not to mention, OL isn't like most NFL groups. OLs are typically judged as a collective unit rather than as individuals and it is hard to find five good guys who will play well together. 

Yeah.  Not to excuse our pathetic OLine situation by any means, and we are one of the worst off around the league imo...But it's a league-wide epidemic these days.  Everyone is OLine needy, and colleges just aren't churning out polished, quality players at near a high enough level to replace guys as they fall off due to age and actually improve things overall league-wide.

You can even see it spill over into the CFL (lol) game.  NFL teams are so desperate for anything that they're keeping total scrubs and projects around on the roster, on practice squads.  Even the scrubbiest of scrubs are ending up just hanging around waiting for their shot on a practice squad somewhere.  By the time the NFL has picked the meat off the bones and PS and hangers-ons have picked the bones clean, the CFL is ending up with absolutely cataclysmic rubbish collections, even more so than i recall ever in the past.  QBs up North are just dropping like flies as a result.

There just aren't enough quality OLine starters to go around, and even the depth of serviceable guys is pretty shaky.  It's frustrating because the Jaguars are a team that should be able to do a bit more about it - we have the Cap Space to make huge pushes on that front, as well as some solid draft capital to invest in the position (which imo we probably under-invested in this year, even in a weak OLine class).  They've taken some shots though.  Just a lot of them have been missed shots and gone very sideways.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Albert has had injury problems but I honestly thought we had a very solid stop gap LT for the next couple years. Then we drafted Cam and it looked like a Tunsil situation Miami had last year. Kick Big Cam into guard, let him play by Albert and learn the craft, take over in a couple yrs.

Really just ended up being a terrible situation with Albert, but if he was on the roster our OL wouldn't be as in trouble as it is now. Cann hasn't improved like most wanted/hoped, but I never expected us to bring in anyone else to compete. I just expected Cann/Omameh/Shatley etc. to battle it out. Parnell had a strong final 6-7 games last year and Marrone and co. talked about it right after the season ended. Never expected a new RT in 2017 either, but more so possibly someone else next year.

Even if Albert got hurt it would probably give us a decent group to start the season.  Build some confidence for our offense but out of the gate we'll be leaking like a sieve

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Also, people are overlooking the Albert situation. If he was here and played likr last year we'd be in a different spot. He could have kicked inside or moved to RT or Cam could have done the same. That would have done wonders.

Not like we knew hed bust as hard as he did. 

Ehhh... even if you give them credit for trying with Albert, it’s pretty much confirmed that this point that they only drafted Cam because they realized the Albert situation was very likely to go south in a hurry. All indications are that they drafted Cam solely as a reactionary move to Albert’s behavior after they traded for him. And you’d be hard pressed to make anyone believe otherwise, given how this front office has always been reactionary instead of precautionary.

If Albert had worked out as they hoped, they’d be in the same situation with no one to slide in to LG. Maybe Albert would play better at LT than Cam will, but the two Guard positions and possibly RT would still be dumpster fires.

Just now, iPwn said:

Ehhh... even if you give them credit for trying with Albert, it’s pretty much confirmed that this point that they only drafted Cam because they realized the Albert situation was very likely to go south in a hurry. All indications are that they drafted Cam solely as a reactionary move to Albert’s behavior after they traded for him. And you’d be hard pressed to make anyone believe otherwise, given how this front office has always been reactionary instead of precautionary.

If Albert had worked out as they hoped, they’d be in the same situation with no one to slide in to LG. Maybe Albert would play better at LT than Cam will, but the two Guard positions and possibly RT would still be dumpster fires.

Albert is 32 and was going to turn 33 this year. There was no way he was an option here at LT longer than next season.

You really think Cam Robinson or Brandon Albert were going to sit on the bench if one outplayed the other? I highly doubt it. Albert or Cam would have likely been a much better option than Omameh/Shatley/Parnell etc.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Albert is 32 and was going to turn 33 this year. There was no way he was an option here at LT longer than next season.

I don’t disagree. But when has this team ever spent a reasonable resource on a guy that’s supposed to replace the starter “next year”? When has Dave ever spent good resources on a backup plan? 

They weren’t going to draft Cam until they realized Albert might not play for them. Albert was traded, didn’t show up to the team facility and still hadn’t even contacted the team 2 weeks after the draft, and he wouldn’t answer the team’s calls. They traded for Albert and were done addressing starters. When they realized he might not play, they went with another option. At that point, we got a chance for Albert to play one spot and Cam another, but the team knew the odds of Albert working out were next to zero at that point.

I’m trying to find the article about how it came out that Cam being a reactionary draft choice, but I’m having some trouble. But even if you don’t take my/the report’s word for it, you get one of two situations there. Either the team only drafted Cam because they knew things were going south with Albert, or they refused to address LG/RG assuming that things that clearly weren’t going well would somehow turn out fine. Either way, they deserve significant amounts of criticism for how they handled it.

Just now, iPwn said:

I don’t disagree. But when has this team ever spent a reasonable resource on a guy that’s supposed to replace the starter “next year”? When has Dave ever spent good resources on a backup plan? 

They weren’t going to draft Cam until they realized Albert might not play for them. Albert was traded, didn’t show up to the team facility and still hadn’t even contacted the team 2 weeks after the draft, and he wouldn’t answer the team’s calls. They traded for Albert and were done addressing starters. When they realized he might not play, they went with another option. At that point, we got a chance for Albert to play one spot and Cam another, but the team knew the odds of Albert working out were next to zero at that point.

I’m trying to find the article about how it came out that Cam being a reactionary draft choice, but I’m having some trouble. But even if you don’t take my/the report’s word for it, you get one of two situations there. Either the team only drafted Cam because they knew things were going south with Albert, or they refused to address LG/RG assuming that things that clearly weren’t going well would somehow turn out fine. Either way, they deserve significant amounts of criticism for how they handled it.

Caldwell hasn't, but he also isn't the head guy of the organization and the day to day football operations making the decisions now. Tom Coughlin is. Mike Silver has made that quite clear all over twitter. Considering some loved Cam Robinson as an OG prospect, I don't think it's crazy to think that we were going to do the Tunsil thing that Miami did. Have a veteran LT, let Cam learn and play LG his first year, ease him into the spot next year.

Players holdout/do stuff like that for contracts all the time. I highly doubt we drafted Cam Robinson strictly because of Albert's contract situation.

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Same guys on Twitter who complained about letting go of Tyrone Holmes and Briean Boddy-Calhoun early are complaining about keeping Jalen Myrick and Blair Brown over Brian Dixon and Hayes Pullard III.

Yup...

Dixon had a solid TC, but the guy has been around and we know what he is. Same with Pullard. Pullard is a decent backup LB and Dixon looked like a solid reserve corner, but why not keep two draft picks that have upside to be possibly more than that (Myrick more so for ST though, maybe a decent slot guy).

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Yup...

Dixon had a solid TC, but the guy has been around and we know what he is. Same with Pullard. Pullard is a decent backup LB and Dixon looked like a solid reserve corner, but why not keep two draft picks that have upside to be possibly more than that (Myrick more so for ST though, maybe a decent slot guy).

At the end of the day, the decision in either direction (in both cases) make sense, so I don't have a strong opinion either way (though I will usually lean toward the potential on the back-end of the roster). Just crazy to see the same people having a strong negative reaction in both circumstances.

Archived