Redskins and Scherff working on contract extension

turtle28

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

All-pro guards are a luxury. One the Redskins probably can't afford. New England has two "home grown" guards. The left guard was picked in the 3rd round and the right guard , the 4th round . They seem to protect the GOAT just fine .

It's business . A tough, hard , cold business. 

Any All-Pro isn’t a luxury when your team hasn’t had one in 20 years. I can see the side of letting him walk but based on our history it’s just going to turn out being a disaster. This reminds me of the “just let Djax and Garçon walk. We can replace them” argument that we had a few years ago. 

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Any All-Pro isn’t a luxury when your team hasn’t had one in 20 years. I can see the side of letting him walk but based on our history it’s just going to turn out being a disaster. This reminds me of the “just let Djax and Garçon walk. We can replace them” argument that we had a few years ago. 

We may not have been able to replace them but neither lived up to to their new contracts . So it was the right decision . I think it's almost an unwritten rule - for me anyway . Don't give 30 somethings their 3rd contract . They'll just take the money and run., or not run- retire.

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

We may not have been able to replace them but neither lived up to to their new contracts . So it was the right decision . I think it's almost an unwritten rule - for me anyway . Don't give 30 somethings their 3rd contract . They'll just take the money and run., or not run- retire.

That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have continued to thrive here.

Letting Scherff walk when we have absolutely no viable replacement on the roster is stupid. We’ve spent 7 years+ trying to fix LG so locking down your RG position when you have a rookie QB position seems vital. At least in my opinion. Like I said, I can see the argument based on his position for letting him walk but I truly believe it ends up bad. 

• Like 2

With the new CBS coming up,sign him now. It'll be a deal when contracts sky rocket.  That and this is always the case,people go crazy talking about overpaying ,yet it's the way of the market.  This will never change. You will always have to pay for good/great players. There is no overpaying,just people saying guys are overpaid.

19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Like surrounding him with Pro Bowl Olineman?

No, like surrounding him with very good offensive lineMEN. Plural.

We've had, supposedly, a top tier LT, a top tier RG, a very good RT, and now people are trying to frame Roullier as a very good Center.

The offensive line is still not that great, particularly at pass blocking. They were ranked 20th last year. Scherff has now failed to play a full season in two consecutive seasons. Our three best linemen are also the three that seem to get injured. I'm really concerned about investing so heavily in a position that not only requires quality across the board, but also seems to suffer a significant number of injuries

The two best offensive lines last season didn't have a offensive lineman with a cap hit over 9 million. We're already eating cap hits with Moses and Williams. Adding another big one is going to make keeping a quality offensive line on the field difficult, especially since cap space will need to be allocated to skill positions, s the Redskins have a dearth of talent there.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Slateman said:

No, like surrounding him with very good offensive lineMEN. Plural.

We've had, supposedly, a top tier LT, a top tier RG, a very good RT, and now people are trying to frame Roullier as a very good Center.

The offensive line is still not that great, particularly at pass blocking. They were ranked 20th last year. Scherff has now failed to play a full season in two consecutive seasons. Our three best linemen are also the three that seem to get injured. I'm really concerned about investing so heavily in a position that not only requires quality across the board, but also seems to suffer a significant number of injuries

The two best offensive lines last season didn't have a offensive lineman with a cap hit over 9 million. We're already eating cap hits with Moses and Williams. Adding another big one is going to make keeping a quality offensive line on the field difficult, especially since cap space will need to be allocated to skill positions, s the Redskins have a dearth of talent there.

It sounds like your problem is more with Trent and Moses.  Signing Scherff doesn’t keep us from moving on from one of them.  

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Brady, Brees, and Big Ben had the best pass blocking OL’s this year according to PFF.  Those QBs also ranked among the league leaders in shortest time to throw according to Next Gen Stats. There’s a pretty high correlation in passers that get the ball out quickly and highly ranked offensive lines. Alex, Colt, and Johnson have never been known for getting the ball out quickly. 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, MKnight82 said:

I hear these arguments but cap is only worth saving if you need it for something else.  I don’t want to go nuts in FA anymore and we don’t have any big extensions coming up.

Opportunity cost and all. We have a general idea of what we need, but we don't know what will become available in the next couple of years when that cap is taken up by Scherff. At the same time, bird in hand.

If his contract comes in near the bottom end of the market (or inexplicably below market), then you race to get him to sign. If he's breaking the ceiling though ... well ... I don't know.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Slateman said:

Sorry, but I don't consider Top 10 draft picks to be "home grown."

So, if he had been drafted 11th, he would be home grown? Or 16th?

When does a pick become home grown?

Keep in mind, the team has invested four plus years of time, money, and effort into making sure that Scherff can become an All Pro guard. Remember, Ereck Flowers was taken four picks after Scherff and he bombed out of NY and Jacksonville (and likely here too). So, it's not like taking a player high guarantees they'll turn into a star.

On 5/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Slateman said:

We're going to want significant cap space in the next three years. You're going to want to load a team around Haskins as quickly as possible.

And this is the "flexibility" argument I just mentioned.

The flipside of this argument is "will there be someone worth more to the offense to sign than Scherff?" Remember, when we signed Richardson, he was amongst the best talents available in free agency at wide receiver (a major need). He came with a bunch of red flags, but the rest of the receivers that went haven't been much better.

Sammy Watkins (3y/$48M) = 10 GP, 9 GS, 55 targets, 40 catches (72.7% catch rate), 519 yards (13.0 YPC), 3 TD
Allen Robinson (3y/$42M) = 13 GP, 12 GS, 94 targets, 55 catches (58.5% catch rate), 754 yards (13.7 YPC), 4 TD
Marqise Lee (4y/$34M) = IR before season
Taylor Gabriel (4y/$26M) = 16 GP, 11 GS, 93 targets, 67 catches (72.0% catch rate), 688 yards (10.3 YPC), 2 TD
Albert Wilson (3y/$24M) = 7 GP, 3 GS, 35 targets, 26 catches (74.3% catch rate), 391 yards (15.0 YPC), 4 TD
Michael Crabtree (3y/$21M) = 16 GP, 16 GS, 100 targets, 54 catches (54.0% catch rate), 607 yards (11.2 YPC), 3 TD

The best of the best generally is not available because the teams that have those talents have locked them up, which is an argument for signing Scherff.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:56 PM, RSkinGM said:

All-pro guards are a luxury. One the Redskins probably can't afford. New England has two "home grown" guards. The left guard was picked in the 3rd round and the right guard , the 4th round . They seem to protect the GOAT just fine .

It's business . A tough, hard , cold business. 

1. If Hawkins turns into a surefire Hall of Fame QB and marries a supermodel who makes more than he does in any given year such that Hawkins can take a below market (for his value) contract, then sure, maybe they can skimp on the quality of the guys in front of him.
  2. That 4th round guard? The Patriots just paid him (Shaq Mason) a 5y/$45M contract last August.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, RSkinGM said:

WE,, have a Q B on a rookie contract . We do ! That's true we do !! We also have Smith on a Top 10 contract . I guess it depends on how they'd structure Scherffs new deal . Maybe it can work. I hope so If they go that route . 

At the absolute worst, they can get out from under Smith's contract after the 2020 season. Now, others have said there is some sort of insurance that Washington bought that would allow them to pay some against the cap, but I had not seen that before (probably because these sorts of career ending injuries are rare). This insurance would allow them to perhaps to get out of the situation after this season.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Make him highest paid guard with a 6-7 year contract.  It will only be 1 year as highest paid. Guys will steady jump him yearly, but we will have him locked down long term. By 2nd half of the contract it will look like a steal.

Unlikely to happen, for three reasons:

1. Players in the NFL aren't going for those long term contracts as much because that limits their ability to re-jigger their pay relative to their peers. Just like you thought of this, the agents have as well especially when the latter years of contracts tend to be filled with "funny money" years.
  2. Likely his highest paid years will be in years 2 and 3, not this year, since they don't have the space right now. Probably 3 since that's when they can guarantee that they'll be clear of Smith's contract.
  3. The CBA renegotiations are looming. Having a big contract like this signed right now is not really in the interests of either party. Yes, both sides probably want that contract, but it remains to be seen how the salary cap changes (if it does at all).