Redskins and Scherff working on contract extension

turtle28

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not a fan of giving Scherff big money at a position where the value isn't all that high.  I'm a big believer in him, don't get me wrong, but giving top three positional money to a player who has seen the past two seasons end with a torn pectoral is not a smart decision.  

two seasons ?

50 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

two seasons ?

You are correct, it's one.  For some reason, I thought it was two.  Maybe someone else had a torn pectoral in 2017.  

Either way, Scherff as a guard isn't going to be worth that kind of money, but he's going to wait it out.  The CBA expires soon, and then a couple big TV contracts are up for renewal, and we could see the cap skyrocket.  If he's not the top paid guard with a contract from us, he will test FA and then that puts us in the position of using the franchise tag. 

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You are correct, it's one.  For some reason, I thought it was two.  Maybe someone else had a torn pectoral in 2017.  

Either way, Scherff as a guard isn't going to be worth that kind of money, but he's going to wait it out.  The CBA expires soon, and then a couple big TV contracts are up for renewal, and we could see the cap skyrocket.  If he's not the top paid guard with a contract from us, he will test FA and then that puts us in the position of using the franchise tag. 

I agree with your analysis .. He was playing with a sprained MCL prior to suffering the pec injury .

Edited by RSkinGM

My question is, if we aren’t going to give Scherff a contract that frankly he’s earned, who are we going to give that money to? 

Another teams free agent? I hope not! 

I would rather keep our own developed players who are pro bowl caliber than to go out and start spending big $ in free agency again.

Let’s think, we didn’t keep DJax or Garçon in 2017, we didn’t keep Cousins, Breeland, Long or Murphy in 2018, we didn’t keep PSmith or Crowder in 2019.

To me this doesn’t look like a good track record for us. We aren’t keeping our own guys who played good to great for us. 

Now a few of them I could see letting go. We weren’t going to re-sign both DJax & Garçon, but we should have kept one of them. We weren’t going to keep Cousins, Breeland, Long, Grant and Murphy, but we should have kept Cousins and Breeland - especially after Breeland’s price went down - and IMO Long to be our starting LG last year.

I don’t know yet if letting Crowder go was a smart decision, that’s TBD. I think we’ll be able to replace him between McLaurin and Quinn but maybe not. Now, I definitely think we did replace and probably upgraded PSmith right away with Sweat, but that’s TBD too.

Still, over the last 3 off-seasons we sure let a lot of talent leave Redskins park and it’s TBD if the talent we’ve brought in to replace them will be as good as they were.

On 7/19/2019 at 9:41 AM, MKnight82 said:

Except then you remember they should never have traded for him in the first place, and then once they did the contract they gave him was an egregious fireable offense.

They should have re-signed Kirk after 2015. The fact that they didn’t continues to be the dumbest thing I can remember in a long time as a Redskins fan. I really think that Dan didn’t like Kirk and didn’t believe in Kirk as a franchise QB. I think that’s the reason we never gave Kirk the contract he deserved after the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

I just pray that Haskins turns into a good to great QB and makes us forget about Kirk.

Edited by turtle28

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Not paying Scherff and creating a giant hole in the offensive line would just be stupid. 

O K You may be right .. But what if we have to pay him TOP guard price. Are you advocating signing him at any price. No financial prudence at all ?

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Spotrac had it a little different so I don't know. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

I'm guessing here bc I rarely get this contract stuff right, but Spotrac doesn't show what the cap savings are if it's Alex is designated June 1st cut. So, I think you'd look at his 2021 cap savings/salary-dead money in 2021.

Again, I need a Woz ruling here, but that's what I think.

26 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

O K You may be right .. But what if we have to pay him TOP guard price. Are you advocating signing him at any price. No financial prudence at all ?

He's arguably our best offensive lineman over the last two years given Trent’s injuries, why wouldn't we make Scherff - who is one of the best Guards in the league - the top paid guard in the league?

We shouldn't Kirk Cousins this Scherff situation & give up on a good to great talent and create a major hole. 

And if we do so, what are we going to do with that cap space and will that extra cap space/new free agents make us better that Scherff will make our OL?

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Yes I am. He was well on his way to being an All-Pro last year and I assume he’s only going to get better. We’re very fortunate to have two elite level talents in our OL and I’m not willing to let either walk when we’ve been totally okay with paying other teams trash to come here and suck for so long.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think if we make Alex a June 1st cut next March then his $21.4 million cap hit comes off our salary cap but we don’t save any cap space. 

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/

No.

His 2020 salary is fully guaranteed (as of March 17). So that's on the books as is the $5.4M pro-rated piece of his signing bonus.

Assuming they make him a June cut, the remainder of his signing bonus monies would then slide into future years as dead cap.

The one thing I'm not completely sure about is if they can make him a June cut and use the insurance offset. If they can, then they'd free up 12M in 2019 cap space and defer the monies. If they can't, then they'd have to wait until the calendar rolled over to June to do it. Of course, that ties up the $12M in cap space for three extra months, but it could be used for an extension after the transaction is complete.