2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

The biggest offensive highlight on Tuesday at Clarke Hinkle Field occurred when Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers fired a pass down the middle to tight end Jimmy Graham, who had a half step or so on outside linebacker Preston Smith. Fully stretched out, Graham hauled it in and kept his feet for what would have been a monster gain.

What I take away from this is: Packers defense is so bad that even old bum Jimmy Graham can get monster yardage over the middle. :D

Edited by ThatJerkDave

On 6/6/2019 at 1:02 PM, vegas492 said:

I didn't know we were posting pictures of old GB guards.  Yes. Lawrence Pfol aka Lex Luger wore #66 in training camp a long, long time ago before it was retired.  Thinking it was around 1982 and he ended up on IR for the year and never made the roster.  

Even in 82, PackIRs.

Why was Preston Smith covering Jimmy Graham?  Nothing more frustrating to me last year or two than when Clay Matthews would give up a huge gain to a tight end and people would ***** and moan about Matthews sucking.  He's a ******* pass rusher.  That's like complaining about a safety getting pancaked on a blitz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Why was Preston Smith covering Jimmy Graham?  Nothing more frustrating to me last year or two than when Clay Matthews would give up a huge gain to a tight end and people would ***** and moan about Matthews sucking.  He's a ******* pass rusher.  That's like complaining about a safety getting pancaked on a blitz. 

Let's make all our players do only the role they're best at, because no opposing coordinator would find that predictable and scheme to exploit it.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Let's make all our players do only the role they're best at, because no opposing coordinator would find that predictable and scheme to exploit it.

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying you can't expect Clay Matthews to stay with Jordan Reed when the pass rush doesn't get home. 

If Preston Smith was covering Jimmy Graham in man coverage, that's a problem.  If it was a zone on a blitz and the blitz didn't get home that's another thing entirely. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying you can't expect Clay Matthews to stay with Jordan Reed when the pass rush doesn't get home. 

If Preston Smith was covering Jimmy Graham in man coverage, that's a problem.  If it was a zone on a blitz and the blitz didn't get home that's another thing entirely. 

Pretty safe to assume it was a blitz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I probably can guarantee you won't see Smith in man coverage more than 10% of the snaps in a game, or at all. This is off season install period, they'll use a lot of plays not necessarily used in games all the time. I don't think Pettine will use him that way more than like once a game or never.

From The Athletic

Defensive backs Will Redmond and Natrell Jamerson, a former Wisconsin Badger, are listed as corners on the Packers roster but have been working almost exclusively with the safety group the last few weeks.

For Jamerson, this marks a return to his more natural position, the one he played at Wisconsin to end his career. Jamerson was a fifth-round draft pick by the Saints in 2018 and also spent time with the Texans before the Packers claimed him off waivers last December. He appeared in two games on special teams near the end of the season.

Speaking of defensive backs, rookie cornerback Ka’Dar Hollman has crept his way into the defensive rotation. With Jaire Alexander and Tramon Williams entrenched as the starters, Pettine has turned to Josh Jackson and Kevin King for his second unit. That has left Hollman to pair with Tony Brown on the third-string unit.

More on Kenny Clark via PackersWire:

No defensive lineman earned a higher overall pass-rushing grade while lined up against a center last season than Kenny Clark of the Green Bay Packers.

According to Michael Renner of Pro Football Focus, Clark’s 91.5 pass-rushing grade as a 0- or 1-technique was the highest in the NFL in 2018.

Clark also earned the second-best grade run-stopping grade in the same pre-snap scenarios, proving he terrorized centers regardless of the play type.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

More on Kenny Clark via PackersWire:

No defensive lineman earned a higher overall pass-rushing grade while lined up against a center last season than Kenny Clark of the Green Bay Packers.

According to Michael Renner of Pro Football Focus, Clark’s 91.5 pass-rushing grade as a 0- or 1-technique was the highest in the NFL in 2018.

Clark also earned the second-best grade run-stopping grade in the same pre-snap scenarios, proving he terrorized centers regardless of the play type.

But Kenny Clark cannot rush passer please explain. 

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Why do you believe Smith can’t cover?

On 6/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, Shanedorf said:

From The Athletic

Defensive backs Will Redmond and Natrell Jamerson, a former Wisconsin Badger, are listed as corners on the Packers roster but have been working almost exclusively with the safety group the last few weeks.

For Jamerson, this marks a return to his more natural position, the one he played at Wisconsin to end his career. Jamerson was a fifth-round draft pick by the Saints in 2018 and also spent time with the Texans before the Packers claimed him off waivers last December. He appeared in two games on special teams near the end of the season.

Speaking of defensive backs, rookie cornerback Ka’Dar Hollman has crept his way into the defensive rotation. With Jaire Alexander and Tramon Williams entrenched as the starters, Pettine has turned to Josh Jackson and Kevin King for his second unit. That has left Hollman to pair with Tony Brown on the third-string unit.

If he's 'entrenched as a starter' our defense isn't going to be as good as I thought. 

Edited by Golfman
  • Like 1