2019 Green Bay Packers offseason - OTAs/minicamps

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

Actually AG should prove he can’t. The Packers HAD him in coverage in the workout on Graham. If I remember correctly it stated it was a perfect pass. Most of those are completed against anyone 

Define: Cover

Do you mean stay with a Target for several cuts, or do you mean capable of back pedaling into a zone and waving his arms around? Kenny Clark and BJ Raji can do the latter. 

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Actually AG should prove he can’t. The Packers HAD him in coverage in the workout on Graham. If I remember correctly it stated it was a perfect pass. Most of those are completed against anyone 

fair point.  and i'm actually good with them dropping into coverage him every now and then to mix things up, so you gotta practice it.  i'm bowing out... AG20 can fight his own battles...

from PackersWire

And then a guy that may have been forgotten a little bit is Trevor Davis. He’s made a lot of great plays down the field. He’s got speed.”

LaFleur said improvement in the practice setting is fueling his rise.  “I’ve been really impressed with him. He’s come a long way,” LaFleur said. “The effort and intensity level of which he practices has certainly improved. I’m excited for him come training camp.”

A strong camp could put Davis in a prime position to win a roster spot, both as a contributing receiver and as a returner."

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from PackersWire

And then a guy that may have been forgotten a little bit is Trevor Davis. He’s made a lot of great plays down the field. He’s got speed.”

LaFleur said improvement in the practice setting is fueling his rise.  “I’ve been really impressed with him. He’s come a long way,” LaFleur said. “The effort and intensity level of which he practices has certainly improved. I’m excited for him come training camp.”

A strong camp could put Davis in a prime position to win a roster spot, both as a contributing receiver and as a returner."

Alvis Whitted was talking him up recently as well.  I think he's always kind of looked good until the pads go on.

• Like 1

Seems like Davis has positioned himself to have a clear and direct path to roster spot.  *IF* he's impressing MLF and Whitted to this point, at present it would seem it's his spot to lose. 

He's got 3 kind of assets going for him:  1) Established quality as a return guy, on a roster that otherwise doesn't have a lot.  2) Deep speed, MVS is the only other guy with unusually good NFL deep speed.  (ESB is fast for his height but average relative to NFL WR).  3) Smaller/different body size from the other longish/biggish WR, which may make him well suited to certain kind of packages or slot plays.  (I know I know, slots come in all shapes and MLF's teams have usually used big ones....  But there may be certain plays and sets where a smaller, faster, quicker guy might be something that MLF wants.  He doesn't want all point guards on his basketball team, but he might not want all power forwards on his WR basketball team, either???) 

There isn't really anybody else with his profile, so I think he's got a really good shot.  I also think that in terms of development, I view him as a "he's been around forever" guy, as if there's little chance to do something he's not done before.  But he basically missed all of last year, all of camp, as a receiver, due to the injury.  So to some degree I think he's better viewed as a 3rd year guy perhaps ready to settle in.  

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Define: Cover

Do you mean stay with a Target for several cuts, or do you mean capable of back pedaling into a zone and waving his arms around? Kenny Clark and BJ Raji can do the latter. 

Well the stats listed say he can and if it took a perfect pass to get the completion, that’s good coverage. 

11 hours ago, snackattack said:

fair point.  and i'm actually good with them dropping into coverage him every now and then to mix things up, so you gotta practice it.  i'm bowing out... AG20 can fight his own battles...

I mean, he’s a OLB. No one expects him to cover like a CB or S. 

From PackersWire

Pettine pimping 6th RD CB Ka'Dar Hollman

“I like Ka’dar. He’s intense, you can tell he loves football. He’s a guy that’s been real good at the press man aspect of it,” Pettine said. “He’s had practices where you really have to go back and look to see if a ball got caught on him.

Hollman isn’t just winning coverage battles against the end of the roster types. Pettine said he’s held up against the best the Packers receiving corps can offer early on.  “He’s been up with the ones and the twos most of the time, so it’s not like he’s kicking butt in the JV game and feeling good about it. He’s been up against some of our better guys and more than held his own,” Pettine said. “We’re pleased with where he is.
He’s got a long way to go, but love his skill set, love his attitude.”

usatsi_12759838-e1560287318552.jpg?w=100

Hollman, a former walk-on at Toledo, led the MAC in pass breakups last season. He combines a feisty, in-your-face attitude with 4.37-second speed, a 38″ vertical leap and quick feet, giving him the competitiveness and athleticism of a potential starting NFL cornerback.

• Like 1